Mapsource Citymaps, GPS60CSx's and laptops

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Mapsource Citymaps, GPS60CSx's and laptops

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 21 June 08 1:49 pm

So, finally, I have the means to go out and purchase City Navigator for my CSx. I know they come in 2 versions, CD Rom, and pre loaded micro SD card. From previously asked questions on here, I believe that one purchase is useable on 2 devices, ie GPS and laptop, or 2 GPS's. Is this correct? If so, which is the better buy (both are the same price, CD or SD) can it be downloaded from CD Rom to Micro SD for use in the GPS, then loaded onto my laptop, or vice versa, can I download it off the pre loaded micro SD to my laptop?

Assistance and advice would be appreciated.

Additionally, the external power/data cable that can be purchased for the Garmins (the ones without the ciggy lighter plug fitted- just the 4 bare wires) can these be hard wired, via a fuse, into any 12V power supply? I am currently using my ciggy lighter lead on my bike, but have to unroute it to use in my 4wd. I want to hard wire a lead from battery up to handlebars and be able to use the ciggy lighter plug on the bike for other things (mobile phone, PDA, ect)

Cheers
Bundy

diesel69
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by diesel69 » 21 June 08 4:10 pm

Don't know a lot about the (micro)SD version, but the CDrom version gets loaded onto a PC (Mapsource program lets you view, add waypionts etc)and then you load what ever maps you wish onto your GPSr.

I think the microSD card version is only usuable on the GPSr and can't be loaded on a PC

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Re: Mapsource Citymaps, GPS60CSx's and laptops

Post by Map Monkey » 21 June 08 9:21 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Additionally, the external power/data cable that can be purchased for the Garmins (the ones without the ciggy lighter plug fitted- just the 4 bare wires) can these be hard wired, via a fuse, into any 12V power supply? I am currently using my ciggy lighter lead on my bike, but have to unroute it to use in my 4wd. I want to hard wire a lead from battery up to handlebars and be able to use the ciggy lighter plug on the bike for other things (mobile phone, PDA, ect)
Yep, go right ahead Bundy....just what they are designed for. Tape the two data wires back out the road and away you go. :P

They have a yellow fuse inline IIRC.

mm

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 22 June 08 12:25 am

If your gadgets can be recharged via USB, then one 12V>USB ciggy plug and a cheap USB hub might solve your problems.

If you don't have one, they're cheap to buy, or ask around and someone's probably got a USB1.1 hub lying around not being used.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 22 June 08 3:02 pm

I'm not sure how the version on microSD works, but you do need a back up.

I have the CD version that downloads to a microSD in the GPSr. My microSD died after a couple of years. It was easy for me to buy a new micro SD for $10 and download it again.

Given that a 1GB microSD is now only $10 (my first 512Mb microSD cost $80) I would go for the CD.