ETrex Visa & Metroguide CD question

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

ETrex Visa & Metroguide CD question

Post by Team Pathfinder » 12 May 04 6:04 pm

I have bought my husband a new Etrex Vista for his birthday and was thinking about buying the Metroguide CD to go with it.

Question.

Is it worth spending the extra $179 for since we live in the Pilbara Western Australia?

He has previously been using an ETrex (yellow) connected to his laptop and running OziExplorer.

I am thinking that some of you will have had experience with the Etrex and metroguide and can give me your expert opinions.

Many thanks, Sue.

Team Piggy

maps.

Post by Team Piggy » 12 May 04 7:46 pm

I have a legend and the metroguide maps. I have never loaded the maps as I have been more than happy with the base map.
I have this thought after seeing a magellan with street level mapping that the metroguide maps my tend to clutter the screen too much :(
The magellan screen I looked at scared the S&^T outa me ! the thing was so cluttered, you could forget about even seeing a waypoint :shock:

I would suggest saving your $$$ and see if you are happy with the base maps first.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 12 May 04 10:02 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>I've never owned an Etrex but I would assume the map coverage on the Magellan and Etrex would be similar. <p>Just to give you an idea ... here's some cache's you might recognise :lol: <p>Image Image Image

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 12 May 04 10:17 pm

I have the metroguide maps and use them with my eMap. I find it great. If you set it to the automatic setting it automatically zooms in and out as required and adds and removes detail as required. I can't comment on what it would look like on the smaller eTrex screen but on the eMap screen it is invaluable for navigating and urban caching.

Regardless of functionality on your handheld it has pretty goods street level mapping. Particularly in country areas where often it includes large driveways and other good landmarks.

What would it cost for a piece of software and that can be used with your GPS on a laptop, and then to purchase street level maos for the whole country? So even if you don't use it on your handheld the maps are nice and map source is an ok app.

To save some money, do what I did and, go halves in a copy with someone else who wants it. I am not suggesting illegal copying. MapSource MetroGuide comes with two licences!

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 13 May 04 10:03 am

Thanks Guys - you confirmed what I had been thinking, waiting and checking out the base map is the best option. With any luck the GPS should arrive on the arvo mail flight - I can surprise him with it this evening and he can check it out for himself.

He will be itching to get his laptop back from the repairers to plug it in and get out and test I am sure!!! Meanwhile he can plug it into the home PC as we have OziExplorer installed in both - just a bit heavy to lug around in the car!! :lol: :lol:

The screen shots came up well TLC. I didnt recognise the one Burrup/Dampier - not sure whether thats a cache thats marked that I have missed!!!! Will have to check. Picnic in the Park and our new International cache look to be exactly where they should be. Now that would be a blonde statement wouldnt it :wink:

Sue
Karratha WA.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 13 May 04 10:19 am

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>I would hope you'd have recongnised the one off the Burrup / Dampier rd as it's yours :shock: ... 'Rockin' Around in the Salt' towards Dampier way from what I see in OziExplorer.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 13 May 04 1:17 pm

TEAM LANDCRUISER wrote:<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>I would hope you'd have recongnised the one off the Burrup / Dampier rd as it's yours :shock: ... 'Rockin' Around in the Salt' towards Dampier way from what I see in OziExplorer.

Whoops!!!! The Rock A fooled me - I had forgotten that one and was thinking along the lines of Rockingham and wondering how that tied into Dampier!! My mind works a little differently to most peoples :wink: :wink: