Garmin GPS 12 Upload not present

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Garmin GPS 12 Upload not present

Post by Crisp image » 20 May 08 9:18 pm

Hi All,
Has anybody come across this messange on a garmin GPS 12 "Upload not present"
And if so How did you fix it. I have been given this gps to have a look at. I tried to connect the gps to a computer to upload new firmware but it cant find it. Is there a reset. mmmm lots of questions please help

Regards
Crisp Image

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 22 May 08 10:31 am

There were various models of the Garmin GPS12 made during it's manufactured lifetime. Some of the earlier models, I understand, cannot be upgraded with later versions of firmware. I seem to recall that early v2.x models can't be upgraded with v4.x firmware. You will need to discover what model and software you currently have - it is on the screen at initial power up - and then make specific enquiries to Garmin to discover whether your model is upgradable. Try Google as well.

The plain GPS 12 differs from the 12XL in that the later is one of the last models made and has an installed database of town and city waypoints based on the region of sale. (I have a Garmin GPS12XL with v4.58 software and the South Pacific City Database v2.01 installed).

Crisp image

Post by Crisp image » 23 May 08 12:37 pm

It is a GPS 12 according to the serial number label. When I turn it on I get nothing but the screen saying "No upload present" so it does not tell me the version of software or any other information.
I have submited a question to Garmin but as yet not had an answer.
Thanks
Crisp Image

BaldEd

Post by BaldEd » 23 May 08 12:58 pm

Crisp image wrote:When I turn it on I get nothing but the screen saying "No upload present" so it does not tell me the version of software or any other information.
That's not a promising sign for what is now an obsolete gps. :(
<br>
:idea: Maybe time to upgrade to a much better gps? :D

BaldEd

Post by BaldEd » 23 May 08 1:00 pm

dupe