Loading Mapsource maps to sd card

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found

Loading Mapsource maps to sd card

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 12 May 08 11:20 pm

When loading any maps to the Garmin Vista CX it overwrites the maps that are already there. I am going to NZ in a couple of weeks, is it possible to load some NZ maps without it wiping off all my Ozzie maps? I have a 1gig Micro Card in the GPSr so I'm sure they would fit if I could put the maps on the card but how do I do that and will the GPSr be able to read/find those maps? Any help appreciated. :roll: :idea:

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 12 May 08 11:27 pm

On the Colorado I select the areas of each map I want and then upload.

For example.

I have 2 different Aussie maps. I select VIC on both map versions and then upload them.

I can then select which ever map I need in the gps.

Not sure if it works the same way on your gps though.

Tratty
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: Loading Mapsource maps to sd card

Post by Tratty » 13 May 08 5:30 am

Sunshine Toledo wrote:When loading any maps to the Garmin Vista CX it overwrites the maps that are already there. I am going to NZ in a couple of weeks, is it possible to load some NZ maps without it wiping off all my Ozzie maps? I have a 1gig Micro Card in the GPSr so I'm sure they would fit if I could put the maps on the card but how do I do that and will the GPSr be able to read/find those maps? Any help appreciated. :roll: :idea:
With my map 60csx I have to load everything I want on it at once, whatever was previously on it gets erased

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 13 May 08 8:36 am

Hi Sunshine Toledo,
Not clear on what maps you are installing.
Do you have Mapsource City Navigatpor maps thats installed from CD ?
Or did you buy a preloaded SD or Microsd card with maps on it.

If you got CN on Cd then just Copy all the NZ and some of the Aussie maps you need,
Australian CN maps are about 130 megs and New Zealand CNv3 is about 26mbs or if you using the free topo maos they are much smaller.

otherwise grab another small card for this trip .

try not to overwrite if you got preinstalled maps on card you will lost it all

Cheers Skippy

Dooghan

Re: Loading Mapsource maps to sd card

Post by Dooghan » 13 May 08 8:52 am

Sunshine Toledo wrote:When loading any maps to the Garmin Vista CX it overwrites the maps that are already there. I am going to NZ in a couple of weeks, is it possible to load some NZ maps without it wiping off all my Ozzie maps? I have a 1gig Micro Card in the GPSr so I'm sure they would fit if I could put the maps on the card but how do I do that and will the GPSr be able to read/find those maps? Any help appreciated. :roll: :idea:
Chuck your SD card in a SD card reader and copy off the map file. All the maps are held in one big file called gmapsupp.img. Put it a safe place. Now load up the NZ maps. When you come back from NZ use the sd card reader to copy over the top the Aust gmapsupp.img file (the one you made a copy of) to replace your maps 8)

Dooghan 8)

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 13 May 08 8:59 am

Thanks Doogan, I can do that. It seems that all the maps at the moment are being saved internally on the GPSr and there is nothing on the SD card. What can a blank SD card be used for then? Why did I buy it, I suppose if there is nothing to download to it.

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 13 May 08 1:42 pm

I have both NZ topos + NZ Open GPS Autorouting maps loaded on my 1Gig card (Garmin 76CSX). At one stage I also had one of the shonkymaps loaded as well.

With your 1 gig card you will have plenty of room. For NZ autorouting I recommend you getting the NZ Open GPS map. It comes at a very good price (free) and takes up just 33.3 MB of storage on your micro SD.
See details of this community based map here .
Download the installer file from here - it will be approx 24MB - and run that file to install the NZ map into Mapsource. The installer file includes POI that you will no doubt find helpful as you travel around.

Topomaps for NZ are all mainly all commercial products costing from NZ$150 upwards to $400 or so.

I trust that you have CD versions of your Australian maps and not Garmin's commercial microSD versions, as you wouldn't want to overwrite those cards. :cry:

Just install each map (your 2 x Vict maps and the NZ maps) into Mapsource and select them all one at a time from the top left box in Mapsource and write the combined map to your microSD card. Use your card reader to write the maps as it takes far less time than USB transfer.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 13 May 08 2:26 pm

If you have pre-loaded maps you should definately keep a backup too. The SD card in my 60CSx died, no warning, just gone.

No too bad as I have all my maps loaded in Mapsource.
The positive side is my $70 512 MB SD card from when the 60CSx was first released was replaced with a 1GB card for $10

I keep all the City Navigator maps for Australia , PLUS Tracks4Australia, PLUS toppo overlay, PLUS Malsing Singapore map, PLUS a home made map of Bhutan on the card and there that's still only about 300 MB.

To download, open the first mapset from the dropdown in the top left of MapSource, zoom out, select the map tool icon and drag a box over all the maps. They should turn pink. Their names should apear in the maps list on the left. Then open the next map set and repeat. The number of maps should increase. Keep doing this until you have all the maps loaded. Then perform a download to the GPSr. With a lot of maps expect the download to take a long time, perhaps half an hour or so.

Navigull
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Navigull » 21 May 08 8:52 pm

Just to muddy the waters a bit. :wink: I read this today on the Garmin_GPSmap_76C@yahoogroups.com
group posted by "annoyedone"
Mapset: A group of Map Segments from one or more Map Products that is
loaded into the GPS. For units that accept cards this is the
gmapsupp.img file created by MapSource and placed in the Garmin folder.

From those definitions only one Mapset is usable by the GPS at one
time. For units WITHOUT a removable (microSD) card only ONE Mapset can be loaded at one time.

For those with a card you can place multiple
versions ("Mapsets") of a gmapsupp.img file on a card and copy/rename
it to the one in the Garmin folder on the card.

So the short answer is no, you can only have one mapset in your GPS.
The longer answer is that you can multiple mapsets on a unit with a card but only one is visible/usable at any one time.
Loading multiple mapsets had not occurred to me, 8) though of course it means that you need access to a computer to rename the required Mapset to gmapsupp.img before you can switch mapsets.
Note: I have not tried this yet so no guarantees given but it sounds like it should work.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 22 May 08 11:17 am

I just have several micro SD cards, swap them as needed, depending on which mapset I want to use.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 24 May 08 2:37 am

Hello - erudite gpsaustralia forum member recently pointed out you can have two mapsets (excluding basemap) loaded on Colorado with ability to switch between the two. I have tried it and it works a treat.
Standard mapsource file is gmapsupp.img . You can also have another mapset name gmapprom.img .

The gmapprom.img fle will only work on internal memory so using normal procedures upload mapset from mapsource or whatever to GPS internal memory and rename the file to gmapprom.img then upload alternative mapset to SD card with standard name (gmapsupp.img).

Not sure if you can do this with some older Garmins as it may not be possible to rename a file loaded to GPS (Colorados (and Nuvis) act as external memory devices so they can be accessed using Windows Explorer). Food for thought.

Cheers
Greg