Geo encoding pictures

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

Geo encoding pictures

Post by mtrax » 11 May 08 10:23 am

I noticed in another thread a referance to software which sync GPX files with Pictures .. so just wondering if people use this s/w and what they produce from these projects.

ie can I encode pictures with location data in picture meta data and what s/w supports this.
note I have Adobe Photoshop Album and it would be great if I can add GPX coord to photos for a map view.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 11 May 08 11:30 am

I use OziPhototool to embed coordinates and other reference information on my photos. :P

I'm sure there are numerous applications that do this now, however i wanted a solution that is more accurate in its coordinate selection (calibrates the camera timings with the GPS time), and was using information from the OziExplorer stable at the time.

mm

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 11 May 08 12:57 pm

I've used www.locr.com to take pictures with a Nokia 6110 navigator. Embeds the location with the internal GPS and upload to the website direct from the phone. Could be handy for a travel blog.
This was my effort for last month "12 of 12".
locr gallery Only used the computer later to add some descriptions to the pictures.

12 of 12 thread: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 11 May 08 4:21 pm

I've been using PhotoMapper and it works pretty well. The export to Google Earth is fun.
It's donationware.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 11 May 08 4:23 pm

So is "geotagging" the correct term. I'll have to dig out my GPX files to see if I can update the meta data in the photos.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 31 August 08 7:40 pm

mtrax wrote:So is "geotagging" the correct term. I'll have to dig out my GPX files to see if I can update the meta data in the photos.
Yes it is.

There is a lot of info in the discussions at http://flickr.com/groups/geotagging/ including links to various helper and view scripts.

I used to use OZphototool but have switched to RoboGeo. I use either the regular gps or a "travel recorder", a self contained recorder that doubles as a bluetooth GPSr to record the tracklog.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 31 August 08 10:11 pm

riblit wrote:I used to use OZphototool but have switched to RoboGeo. I use either the regular gps or a "travel recorder", a self contained recorder that doubles as a bluetooth GPSr to record the tracklog.
Will RoboGeo create waypoints in Oziexplorer?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 31 August 08 10:46 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:

It won't create an Ozi format waypoint file however it will produce a GPX file that can be loaded into Oziexplorer or Google Earth or any application that can read a GPX file.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 31 August 08 10:49 pm

riblit wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote:

It won't create an Ozi format waypoint file however it will produce a GPX file that can be loaded into Oziexplorer or Google Earth or any application that can read a GPX file.
Thanks.

How easy is it to import magellan track files?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 31 August 08 10:58 pm

ian-and-penny wrote: Thanks.

I use Garmin products so I didn't have an answer, however a quick search with Google resulted in;

I have a Magellan GPS. Can I still use RoboGEO?

Yes, but you'll need to import the tracklogs instead of using the program to download them directly from the GPS. Using G7ToWin is one method for creating an import file (either G7T or GPX formats).

from the RoboGeo FAQ at their website.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 31 August 08 11:02 pm

riblit wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote: Thanks.

I use Garmin products so I didn't have an answer, however a quick search with Google resulted in;

I have a Magellan GPS. Can I still use RoboGEO?

Yes, but you'll need to import the tracklogs instead of using the program to download them directly from the GPS. Using G7ToWin is one method for creating an import file (either G7T or GPX formats).

from the RoboGeo FAQ at their website.
Thanks. I will give it a go.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 31 August 08 11:47 pm

Cool, so while I'm taking the photos will it find the cache for me? :roll:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 01 September 08 5:11 pm

This geotagging should soon or later become mainstream and the apps to support this hopefully will come.
Currently I guess having a visual way to see where you have been is great, and should help with searching thru photo albums too.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 19 September 08 11:16 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:I've been using PhotoMapper and it works pretty well. The export to Google Earth is fun.
It's donationware.
Is there any way to "format" the output as to how the co-ordinates are written to the EXIF data fields in the photo image?

Thanks

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 18 May 09 11:54 pm

Been using 'Geosetter'. It's free and works with the time of each photo and the GPSr track log. Tried it with eXplorist and Colorado track logs with no problems. You need to have the camera and GPSr clocks synchronised for best results, but you can manually drag each photo on a Google Map window to the right spot if the time synch isn't quite right.