Got me Ipaq, got me trimble... now what ?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Got me Ipaq, got me trimble... now what ?

Post by fidjit » 06 May 08 10:58 am

I hope this isn't a rehash of old topics. I've looked at the stickies but still can't really find the answer.

As I'm new to this stuff ( 8 finds so far ) some advice from the more experienced would be welcomed.

While the Tomtom V3 is working it was time to look at a more "robust" solution

I have an Ipaq and a bluetooth GPS ( Trimble ), what software do I need on the Ipaq ?

Is there one package that will allow me to :
1. Load waypoints for caches ( preferably in bulk rather than one by one ) electronically without me having to manually input via geocaching.com .
2. Store the geocache page with hints ( for when the kids and I have having problems )

or do I have to go with mutliple packages.

I've been looking on the web at Trackypro, GPSTuner, Geohunt, GPXCache, GSAK etc etc........ and am getting throughly confused as to if one is any better than the other.

Any assistance greatly appreciated :-)

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 06 May 08 11:10 am

Don't know much about the iPaq, but I find that I can do pretty much anything with GSAK especially as you can download macros to run various reports. I've stopped using all the other bits 'n bobs that I was using eg EasyGPS, GPSBabel, etc. You will, however, need a Premium membership to Geocaching.com to get the most out of GSAK .

If GSAK works with the iPaq, run with it.

PS: Welcome to the addiction! :wink:

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 06 May 08 11:16 am

Gsak won't work with Ipac

You can use GPX Sonar, Cachemate

I find it best to use HTML exported from Gsak which is on the Home PC

Others might do it differently

Cheers Skippy

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 06 May 08 1:07 pm

I agree with Skip.

I use an old Palm Tungsten with Cachemate.

GSAK is on the main PC and there are options to download cache details to Cachemate and a macro to import found cache data back into GSAK either as a user note (and you edit what you want to uplaod to GC com wbesite) or directly into the log and it will automatically go to the cache log form at GC com to then paste the data and log your find.

I haven't gone the way of transferring HTML files onto the PDA - Cachemate does what I want it to do.

Check out the GSAK forums - there may well be a macro which can export cache details direct to your Tom Tom as well. I know there are a number about for the Garmin Nuvi range.

Jardry

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 06 May 08 3:11 pm

Hokay,

Maybe I'm a bit slow and confused ( well I know I am ), but all the programs mentioned are only about managing the cache list...correct ???

What about GPS software for the IPaq ( it's running Windows 5 ) ???

From my reading of your recommendations, I use Cache mate/GPX Sonar to download the cache waypoints from geocaching.com.

I then export the waypoints from Cachemate/GPX sonar into my GPS program ( also on the Ipaq ), but what's the best GPS program????

( If I'm completley off the track please let me know ) :-)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 06 May 08 3:42 pm

Cachemate also has a direction/bearing screen that's called from the database, so it'll do the usual "magic arrow" function for you.

I've used the Palm version a few times when I've only had a BT GPSr available, and it works fine.

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 06 May 08 4:55 pm

Most people I know use a combination of GSAK on the home pc or laptop and another software package for their PDA. GSAK only works on the PC. You can upload GPX files (premium membership required) created by pocket quieries to cachemate ($8USD) after you have unzipped them. Cachemate will manage the caches as well as give you the magic arrow to follow as Papa bear mentioned. So if you have a PDA and BT GPS all you need to do is become a premium member ($30USD per year) and then load the PQ in to cachemate and you are set to go.
I hope that clears it up a little and you are upto speed.
Regards
Crips Image

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 06 May 08 5:03 pm

There is only one piece of software to do caching on a PPC and that is OziCE, it is the most advanced gps/mapping software for PPC :wink:
It takes gpx files straight, there is to many features to mention !! it is a must have !!
All you need is wifi on the pda and you have the ability to download gpx's and crunch them into Ozi and be caching in minutes.
Gpxsonar is the only other software needed to go full paperless caching with just a PDA :D It will give you the chits looking at a small screen all the time but a pda is a fantastic tool with the right goodies loaded ! I have tried every piece of software that I have came across and these 2 are the BEST.
Download and use them and you will understand !
PS you have not seen an arrow till you look at Ozice, it rocks.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 06 May 08 5:08 pm

Check this out Image
And this Image

Crisp image

Post by Crisp image » 07 May 08 12:34 pm

Yes ozie CE is good in that way however you also need maps for it to work well and also (I could be wrong) doesnt display cache info from the GPX files only WPs.
Crisp Image

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 07 May 08 5:43 pm

Crisp image wrote:Yes ozie CE is good in that way however you also need maps for it to work well and also (I could be wrong) doesnt display cache info from the GPX files only WPs.
Crisp Image
Festy rings a bell on that one and $30 at the lpi for me NSW stateviw and the PDA was rocking !
Map grabber may be even able to throw some assistance as well :!:
And Ce 2-1 takes gpx files as did the dev version :wink:
There is nothing more needed beyond a gps and off caching you go :D

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 09 May 08 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions most helpful .

Had a look at Cachemate and thanks to Snuva got some data files to play with. Cachemate looked good but for some reason I couldn't get my Trimble to work properly with it ( still a work in progress ).

I have now also tried BeeLineGPS and this works a treat. Gives me both all the cache information and full GPS functionality all in one package. Found two caches with it today.

I'm still going to perservere with Cachemate as it seems to have a good support base, but so far BeeLine looks like it might be the winner.

Hope this helps someone else going down the same track :D

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 09 May 08 11:25 pm

Beeline is the go.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 10 May 08 8:38 am

roundcircle wrote:Beeline is the go.
So you have not downloded OziCe yet :oops: Try it :!: you will change your mind :wink:

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 21 May 08 12:57 am

Been a long time between posts but.......

Using GSAK to manage all my caches on my PC and using to import GPX files into both Ozi and Beeline.

Tried OziCE ( but an old version ), managed to get some Tassie maps off a mate, 1:100, 1:250 and 1:500. Trouble is it shows the cache but you can't get the full cache details ( desc, hints, logs )

Played with BeeLine still which is great. Shows where the cache is, has a GPS and lets me see Cache details. Only issue, no maps.

Isn't there something that does all these functions in one, and if not, why not ??? :lol:

I find myself toggling between the two applications, Ozi for the maps and then Beeline for the rest of the info.

If I was a programmer........sheesh :D

p.s. managed 22 in the last month using this system, so something's working anyways :D