Latest and Greatest?? from Garmin

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Latest and Greatest?? from Garmin

Post by Webguy » 25 March 08 2:17 pm

http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/colorado/

Looks a rather interesting models range thats for sure. With the paperless geocaching mode, I wonder if you can record log details like cachemate, or just read only. If it could be as user friendly as cachemate, wow, no more PDA.

Batter life is a tad low at just 15 hours. But, still, an interesting looking device. What will be around in another 12 months I wonder.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 25 March 08 5:29 pm

These have been a discussed on several forums now for a while ! they are having their teething problems but yes they do look like a good thing

emeryco

Post by emeryco » 25 March 08 5:46 pm

Is this the same as the Colorado 300 or doesn't the 300 have the paperless caching option.? I am thinking of buying a GPSMAP 60CSx but I do like the concept of paperless caching, then on the other hand I don't want to be a guinea pig. Also I understand the Colorado 400 could be quite pricey. :?: :!:

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 25 March 08 6:08 pm

emeryco wrote:Is this the same as the Colorado 300 or doesn't the 300 have the paperless caching option.?
Don't worry about buying anything other than the 300 as comparing the models shows that the only difference is the pre-loaded (US) maps. :shock: ..... not very useful in Australia. :P The 300 and 400t uses a Digital Elevation Model for its world basemap whereas the 400i and 400c uses a (somewhat crude) Satellite image....not a major issue to worry about IMO.

All versions have the paperless caching feature.

mm

emeryco

Post by emeryco » 26 March 08 11:08 am

Thanks Map Monkey, Has anyone had any experience with the Colorado 300 for geocaching or is it still fairly new? I see Johny Appleseed have it for $849

psychokat
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by psychokat » 26 March 08 2:03 pm

I'm getting one from QOME - queensland outdoor marine electronics- for apprx $695 australian. They told me they'll have them in mid may. I tried all the big companies earlier this month asking if they had any idea of when the colorado's would be available and no one replied. Sorry, GME did reply after a week and told me they had them and to ring up my nearest dealership. I did and they said no we don't have them in the country yet. I figure with what I'm going to save I can get some maps straight away. And Stephen at QOME has been very helpful with specs and extra info.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 26 March 08 2:29 pm

psychokat wrote:I'm getting one from QOME - queensland outdoor marine electronics- for apprx $695 australian.
ANACONDA does Garmin and will beat your best price by 10%.
http://www.anaconda.com.au/AboutUs.aspx

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 26 March 08 2:34 pm

hmmm may, can i put my tax return in early ?

emeryco

Post by emeryco » 26 March 08 3:47 pm

Thanks Psychokat, The price does sound competitive, it could be worth the wait. :)

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 28 March 08 8:31 pm

Was in at Johnny Appleseed today (Brisbane) looking at the Colorado (300).

I must say i was somewhat disappointed by the crappy look and feel to it, compared to my worn out 60CS, now that i had a play with it. Garmin seem to have gone down the "cheap" road with construction and made the item out of that silver painted plastic (like a cheap mobile phone or electronic item).

Compared to the 60 series which had some decent plastic construction ( it took some effort to scratch the grey plastic), the colorado just misses the same "rugged" feel needed for geocaching and outdoor activities. :cry:

Just make sure that if you are intending on buying one, that you look at it in the flesh and make your mind up from there. Image
I'm not sure now as to whether i shell out the money for one. :?

mm

psychokat
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by psychokat » 28 March 08 9:46 pm

Thanks map monkey. As soon as I get back up in Qld I was going to head in to JAS to have a look at a unit. I know it's a bit rude as I don't intend to buy it off them but I wanted to have a look and talk to someone about the maps it takes. I'm upgrading from an explorist 100 so anything is better at the moment.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 29 March 08 12:28 am

psychokat wrote: I know it's a bit rude as I don't intend to buy it off them but I wanted to have a look and talk to someone about the maps it takes.
:lol: I was thinking the same thing, though the thought of having it in hand right then and there was tempting. 8)

mm

emeryco

Post by emeryco » 31 March 08 9:48 am

Thanks for the comments on the Colorado. Anaconda in Adelaide said they will be $999 when they come in next month. QOME can do the MAP 60CSX for about $550 (USA maps) and I am tempted to go with that. Having come from an Etrex it will still be a big improvement. Can the 60 CSx handle any cache notes from the GC website? Or will I still need my PDA and GPX Sonar?