New - want to geocache with my kids - what else do I need?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 25 September 07 8:07 pm

CraigRat wrote:
octagonal wrote:Is the monthly geocaching.com premium subscription something you can chop & change at will? (ie) Can I pay the 3 bucks, download the gpx files I need, and cancel or 'suspend' the subscription until I need to do it again? So if it's next month I pay another 3 bucks, but if it is in 3 months time I don't have to pay 9? Or is it a 12 month subscription either way?
12 months is all they offer.
octagonal wrote:I am about to go with shonky maps / gsak / some form of premium subscription. I sent the first cache data to the gpsr from GC - but all it came up with was the code name for the cache. I know the connection & software is working, I just need to refine it and it seems that this combination is exactly what I am after.
Shonkymaps, GSAK and a Premium membership will pretty much have you right up to spec as far as geocaching goes...It's a not-unsubstantial outlay, but makes life a lot easier!
I don't believe it's 12 months or nothing - I subscribe by the month, and haven't had nasty letters on the odd occassion that the credit card has expired or something - just all of a sudden no pocket queries anymore.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 September 07 8:42 pm

I happily stand corrected.
(When I renewed last month I only saw one option, but maybe that was because I had an annual sub prior to that.)

Cached

Post by Cached » 25 September 07 8:57 pm

KevL wrote:No licence is required to use Shonky maps. You need a licence to install garmins Mapsource software.

The is a post on this site and also on gpsaustralia.net regarding a method of getting mapsource legally/ on your computer without a licence.

Kev
I found an interesting thing on a website today.

If you go to garmin and download the training program, install, then download mapsource update and install, it will work without a previous mapsource installation.

it's probably not supposed to, but there's no hacks or cracks needed to make it work.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... rce_viewer
It definately works.

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 25 September 07 10:01 pm

It works.

It wants to overwrite the existing garmin map. This seems to be what I want - so no problems there.

However, I can only fit about 8 tiles or map 'sheets' onto the 8mb on the legend.

For example, I want to put on Sydney and the area between Sydney and Griffith in NSW, but it is not going to fit - this is about 10mb or so.

Am I doing this right? Say I am then heading into Victoria, would I use Mapsource to create another set and overwrite my NSW data?

Cached

Post by Cached » 25 September 07 10:41 pm

octagonal wrote:It works.

It wants to overwrite the existing garmin map. This seems to be what I want - so no problems there.

However, I can only fit about 8 tiles or map 'sheets' onto the 8mb on the legend.

For example, I want to put on Sydney and the area between Sydney and Griffith in NSW, but it is not going to fit - this is about 10mb or so.

Am I doing this right? Say I am then heading into Victoria, would I use Mapsource to create another set and overwrite my NSW data?
Yes - you learn to get picky about what bits you want and to load them a few times on a trip.