Nokia N95 Mobile and O2 ATOM XDA

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 07 September 07 11:07 am

Zytheran wrote:
2dudez wrote: The Nokia GPS program is convenient* if you need a quick map, but is not really suitable for caching. Doesn't take much longer than my Magellan to acquire satellites.

* Convenient : assumes you have downloaded the 70mb Australian Maps on your PC and dcopie to your phone to save on Data charges everytime you need a new map.
Convenient if you don't mind all the side street numbers in Adelaide being wrong. :x
Downloaded all the maps to a Nokia E61, got a Holux GPSr and then found out I lived on the other side of my street, same with everyone else I knew.
Number 1 was even at the wrong end of the street in most cases. :x
There was also a bug with the Nokia bluetooth stack that only affected Nokia software with non Nokia GPSr they didn't want to fix.:roll:
So went over to TomTom Navigator. Best thing since sliced bread and the Holux M-1000 is simply brilliant. Fast, works indoors and very accurate. :D
All TomTom needs is a Geocaching mode user interface for when you are on foot. :idea:
That is pretty messed up with the Adelaide street numbers. Haven't noticed any problems on the maps around here, but if TomTom pull their finger out, it will be an issue I wont have to worry about as I would probably never fire up the Nokia Maps program again after that.

Navaman has my house number 4 houses down the street. TomTom doesn't have my house number at all (Fairly common in Ballarat, but you just keep punching in house numbers till you get it to accept one that is close)

All TomTom needs is a Geocaching mode user interface for when you are on foot.
Amen to that!!!

TeamJEKL
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by TeamJEKL » 10 September 07 11:16 am

I upgraded from an old iPAQ 6300 to an O2 Atom Life. I was using TomTom and Beeline on the iPAQ pretty well. I did try cachemate and a few others but found beeline to be the best. give it a gpx of your favourite caches and it will plot them all on a "map" and allow you to view the cache page offline. however it does cost US$30, but it has a 30 day trial (i have had a few trials since starting with it). The O2 is great as it is much smaller and faster than the iPAQ so i am loving it at the moment. that button app sounds good though.

I have just gotten OziCE to give a go too, just need to scrounge some good topo maps from somewhere now.

mavrick_19

i have a n95 8gig

Post by mavrick_19 » 26 July 08 2:43 pm

well what free programs do you suggest i get for the fone for geocaching. i tried using the standard gps on there but it was telling me i was 16000 km away so

Damo.

Re: i have a n95 8gig

Post by Damo. » 26 July 08 3:02 pm

mavrick_19 wrote:well what free programs do you suggest i get for the fone for geocaching. i tried using the standard gps on there but it was telling me i was 16000 km away so
Have a read of the thread on Trimble Geocache Navigator. http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=9925

There's also a few threads about the Nokia 6110 navigator which could have some useful info for you.