National Geocaching Comms Channel

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by HMAS MB » 07 May 04 3:29 pm

a peice a trivia.

I note on the list you have ch 22 and 23 as voice simplex. I think you might find that they are reserved for data only simplex. I only know this as I am in the process of mating a GPSr to a radio for the purpose of remote locating to Oziexplorer. I will try to find the link that listed that info.

MB

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 18 June 04 2:22 pm

HMAS MB wrote:a peice a trivia.

I note on the list you have ch 22 and 23 as voice simplex. I think you might find that they are reserved for data only simplex. I only know this as I am in the process of mating a GPSr to a radio for the purpose of remote locating to Oziexplorer. I will try to find the link that listed that info.

MB
A long time ago these channels were reserved for "Data Only" transmissions. However, as technology evolved, the need for this became obsolete. The original intended use of the "Data Only"channels was for packet radio, pager, and raw computer data transmissions but it was quickly realised that, at this relatively low frequency, and with the spurious adjacent channel interference, it was never going to work too well anyway. In short the "Data Only" became obsolete.

What a lot of people do not realise these days , is that the 2 channels either side of the repeater input block i.e. 30 and 39 are now for low power use (up to 1 watt) only. This is to reduce interference to the repeater inputs from simplex conversations.

Hounddog

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 18 June 04 2:54 pm

On UHF 22 and 23 are reserved for data only channels nowadays, I think this only came in last year. A list of the channels can be found at:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ramab/ra ... encies.htm

The class licence covering CB is at

http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/legislat ... s/cbrs.rtf

This makes no mention of a 1 watt limit on 30 or 39.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 20 December 05 3:34 pm

We're off to Tamworth on Thursday, although we're hoping to do some of the Armidale caches too. We'll keep our UHF radios firmly on channel 15, and not channel 20!
SMH wrote:One two-way radio and portable radios tuned to channel 20 were also located in the car
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/ ... 01455.html

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 20 December 05 4:20 pm

Ebenezer wrote:We're off to Tamworth on Thursday, although we're hoping to do some of the Armidale caches too. We'll keep our UHF radios firmly on channel 15, and not channel 20!
SMH wrote:One two-way radio and portable radios tuned to channel 20 were also located in the car
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/ ... 01455.html
Hmmm I know that the winnabago/mobilehome/camper club uses UHF20 as "their" channel, and my 4wd club likes channel 20 as well.......

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 20 December 05 4:52 pm

The camper trailer group use 18 as our channel.

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 20 December 05 10:22 pm

I noticed the other day that ExplorOz has a list of repeater locations by State that can be downloaded as Ozi waypoints - see http://www.exploroz.com/Interact/UHFRepeatersIndex.asp .
Has anybody done the hard work & made these repeater locations into a 'loc' or 'GSAK' file so I could handle them in either GSAK, Mapsend/Dis Aus or Easy GPS.<P>Thanks ... Geoff ...

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 21 December 05 4:06 pm

GPSBabel can convert waypoint files to different formats. Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but why would you want UHF repeater stations in GSAK?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 23 December 05 9:06 am

Ebenezer wrote:GPSBabel can convert waypoint files to different formats. Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but why would you want UHF repeater stations in GSAK?
In case someone makes a locationless cache for repeater stations? :p

- Rog

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 23 December 05 8:25 pm

but why would you want UHF repeater stations in GSAK?
Well, I don't really know how I want to handle such info. I use GSAK to handle my waypoints. With the travelling around & with our rally recovery stuff, we sometimes don't know what repeaters are available. Ok, I know about testing each duplex channel but what if your radio is down??<P>... Geoff ...

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 28 December 05 1:56 am

A complete list for UHF CB (477Mhz) & AM/SSB CB (27Mhz) channel usage can be found HERE :mrgreen:

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 January 06 10:15 am

Complete? It's missing geocaching and the local McD's drive thru transceiver for starters! :lol:

- Rog