bluetooth or CF card GPS for PPC

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 February 07 5:58 pm

This is the Chipset right? this => BT-77
has a NEMERIX Chipset (Swiss Made) not sure how that compares?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 February 07 11:37 pm

Here's another one with a nemerix chipset. $85 from an Australian retailer. Looks like good value for rechargeable battery with car and wall charger.

http://www.oznetics.com.au/product_info ... cts_id=294
High-sense, good-performance GPS chip, receiving 16 satellites simultaneously.
How far into space do you need to get to be line-of-sight with 16 sats? :roll:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 25 February 07 7:44 am

any one got a GPS with this Nemerix chipset

note I saw the above features lol
Small-size, humanized design, portable, cute appearance

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 25 February 07 10:17 am

mtrax wrote:any one got a GPS with this Nemerix chipset

note I saw the above features lol
Small-size, humanized design, portable, cute appearance
From what I've read the Nemerix are up there with the Sirf3's

Dooghan

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 26 February 07 10:17 am

yeah I found like the Sirf there are different models of the Nemerix ie the latest is 3.7 (maybe??)

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 26 February 07 9:10 pm

This is a bit of interesting info I came across a while ago.
The SiRF chipset has a feature called "Static Navigation", which is often a very good feature. What this feature does is basically filter out random movement, giving your GPS software a modified position based on it's processing algorithms. This equates to smoother, fluid movement on your navigation software, without jumps due to the nature GPS positioning. This filtering and processing also has a side effect known as "Drinfting". Since it is providing a modified position, it is not providing you the "True" position, in other words, the GPS is not reporting the actual position it is reading right now. This can be seen when you pull up to a stop light, and your navigation software is telling you your still going 2MPH and turning to the right, aka, "Drifting". This makes the SiRF chipset somewhat less reliable for pedestrian use, or for geocaching as walking is done in small movements, some of which will be filtered out. For automotive navigation, it is generally more beneficial than the minor side effects. Smoother navigation, but less accurate for pedestrian use.

OK, so that's the SiRF chipset, but that's not used in this i.Trek GPS. So what about Nemerix? The Nemerix chipset does not provide a modified position like SiRF does, instead opting to provide you with a "Real" position, or the actual position as calculated by the GPS. This position is not filtered and not modified, it is the most accurate position the unit can provide you, based on it's satellite information. The advantage is that it will give true position for better accuracy, even for pedestrian use (walking around a new city, geocaching, marking a trial, etc). This advantage can also be used in boating, as the position is more accurate, it may come in handy bringing a boat into a foggy and crowded marina in the middle of the night, or through a shallow inlet (where was that submerged rock?). (Yup, done it) The drawback is choppier navigation, as the GPS position may 'jump' to a new position rather than smoothly going to it as is done with SiRF. Choppier navigation, but accurate pedestrian (low speed) use.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 26 February 07 10:07 pm

yeah I found this after googling this article plot a stationary GPS .. sounds weird but your position seems to move around a fair bit ... dang that US randomising... article ==> http://www.twig.com.au/chipsets.htm

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 09 March 07 12:08 pm

Do you think I should go for a 16 or 32 Channel reciever (bluetooth) or go for the one with best battery life?
Also can I replace my handheld GPS with a Bluetooth GPS and PDA?

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 09 March 07 2:23 pm

mtrax wrote:Do you think I should go for a 16 or 32 Channel reciever (bluetooth) or go for the one with best battery life?
Also can I replace my handheld GPS with a Bluetooth GPS and PDA?
The one we recommend is a Globalstat BT-338 seems like the best all round, great unit! We have been down the replace the gps with pda path, finding Beeline to be the best program to use for this.
But we still carry the oil burner(Garmin 12) with us because the pda is usually doing something else. We are now trying out copilot on pda so changing between is a hassle if you you are only doing 1 or 2 caches. Sticking to this point for a line or two! We have ran tomtom and destinator and now copilot live and find copilot to be the best.
battery life for the 338 in will run for a day and a half between charges but comes with a curly cord to plug into the ciggy lighter so unless you loose it like we did in Tassie(found in suitcase the day we left) power is no problem.

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 09 March 07 8:45 pm

Mr Router wrote:The one we recommend is a Globalstat BT-338 seems like the best all round, great unit!
Seconded. I also have a BT338 and it is a great little unit. Very fast to acquire sat-lock ) even after substantial relocation between power-on). Battery life is stated 17+ hours - I have never run it flat yet.

<p>I previously had a compact flash haicom GPS with bluetooth slipper. Also a good unit, but apart from occupying my CF slot, the unit was a fraction too big for my waterproof pda case. No comparison to the BT338 in terms of speed to acquire or sensitivity though.

<p>ymmv... :)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 10 March 07 4:24 pm

still thinking is the BT-338 worth the extra dosh
eg on Ebay
BT-338 is about $140+16 postage = $156
BT-77 $43 + $29 postage = $72
so BT-77 half the price of a BT-338

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 10 March 07 9:01 pm

mtrax wrote:still thinking is the BT-338 worth the extra dosh
eg on Ebay
BT-338 is about $140+16 postage = $156
BT-77 $43 + $29 postage = $72
so BT-77 half the price of a BT-338
Worth every cent! we paid $190 for ours

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 12 March 07 9:21 am

any other recommendations on where to get a buy price on BT-338 devices?

hamishm

Post by hamishm » 12 March 07 7:29 pm

mtrax wrote:any other recommendations on where to get a buy price on BT-338 devices?
I got a BC-337 (CF) off ebay for just over $100 including shipping. Works well.
My PDA has both SD and CF slots so I have a slot left for eg TomTom maps.

Have not used it a lot yet so can't comment on battery life.
It seems to lock in incredible conditions eg inside the house. Haven't tried it in my pocket while out caching yet though.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 13 March 07 10:13 am

I went for the BT-338 awating delivery.. now I'm wondering if I should upgrade PPC from 2002 to 2003 (CE 5.0?)