Spot GPS Messenger

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found

Spot GPS Messenger

Post by ruzzelz » 29 April 11 6:35 pm

Has anyone seen these or used them for geocaching. A friend has one and they look like something each of us should invest in.
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/SPOT/spot-sate ... senger-v2/

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Spot GPS Messenger

Post by CraigRat » 29 April 11 6:42 pm

We've used a SPOT tracker to test the concept of a Moveable cache that was live trackable on the site, worked real well.
Don't know if I'd feel happy having a few hundred bucks worth of gear in a cache though!

There's also an extra cost on top of the purchase price for subscription to the SPOT service to consider.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 29 April 11 7:25 pm

I got one and I use it. http://track.fuzzel.de/ It's a bit more pricey than a PLB but you can actually send ok messages. I have one customised which says "I'm ok but I'll be out longer".

- If you only need something for the case of an emergency you're better off with a PLB.
- If you want the minds of the loved ones at ease go for the spot.

For the movable caches: Battery life time is less than a week at best. So where is the point in a self-tracking cache, if every finder has to bring a new pair of batteries?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 April 11 7:47 pm

Philipp wrote:So where is the point in a self-tracking cache, if every finder has to bring a new pair of batteries?
I don't know... for fun perhaps?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 April 11 8:08 pm

Don't be illogical. Fun must come at no expense.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 29 April 11 9:57 pm

Philipp wrote:I got one and I use it. http://track.fuzzel.de/ It's a bit more pricey than a PLB but you can actually send ok messages. I have one customised which says "I'm ok but I'll be out longer".
The biggest worry for me is that they only send three versions of the message, if it doesn't get out then it is missed completely.

I was looking at getting one but at the end of the day if it all goes to pot and I need help it is just not reliable enough. It's a PLB for me.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 30 April 11 5:20 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:The biggest worry for me is that they only send three versions of the message, if it doesn't get out then it is missed completely.
Depends on the message:

MESSAGE CYCLE - Check-in/OK and Custom Message
SPOT will send your message and GPS location to the SPOT network three times over 20 minutes
for maximum reliability (only one email or SMS/text message will actually be sent to your contacts).
If SPOT cannot get a GPS signal, it will not send your Check-In/OK or Custom Message.

Message Cycle - help / spot assist
SPOT will send your message and current GPS location every 5 minutes for an hour for redundancy
and overall reliability. If SPOT cannot get a GPS signal, it will still attempt to send your message–
without a GPS location.

Message Cycle - SOS
SPOT sends your emergency profile information and current GPS location to GEOS every 5 minutes
until cancelled or the batteries run out. If SPOT cannot get a GPS signal, it will still attempt to send
your message – without a GPS location. There is no test mode. If you activate the SOS function,
the GEOS Rescue Coordination Center will treat it as a real emergency.

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 30 April 11 8:54 pm

Freddo bought a Spot last month. It replaced an analog EPERB that now has out of date batteries. Spot performed well in our recent desert travels out of phone range. We OK'd regularly and Sallymander was able to follow our travels.
The custom message reads, "We are here and will be home for tea".

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 May 11 9:00 am

Philipp wrote:
Big Matt and Shell wrote:The biggest worry for me is that they only send three versions of the message, if it doesn't get out then it is missed completely.
Depends on the message:
But the is also other limitations.

Last edited by Big Matt and Shell on 01 May 11 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 01 May 11 11:03 am

Big Matt and Shell wrote:But the is also other limitations.

The URL contained a malformed video ID.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 01 May 11 2:48 pm

now I found the right link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTUQOWhyYAs
  • nobody disagrees that a PLB is a more reliable and less expensive way to get your distress call transmitted. A GPS enabled PLB always wins over a Spot in terms of emergency calls*. Again: "If you only need something for the case of an emergency you're better off with a PLB."

That's the only limitation of the spot against the PLB. The video suggest that even when your SOS-call gets through, there is a difference between a Spot and a PLB. That's just false information. The local authorities in Australia don't care what's the source of the distress call > there is no priority of a PLB over a spot.

Some other errors / false suggestions in the video:
  • The Mc Murdo FastFind 210 is waterproof
  • It's comparing the old spot messenger >> the new one has a red SOS button and two hand reaching out as a help button. Which button would you press if you're in serious distress?
  • Video suggests that if even if your message gets transmitted to the satellite, it might get lost if the satellite doesn't have a connection to the ground station. That's actually true but in the areas with coverage the satellite always has a connection to the ground station. There is no 40 minutes delay. If the message gets to the satellite, you'll see it a second after that on the web / email / text / ...
  • The Spot also offers the option of a field where you can put in additional information. I have the purpose of use, additional contact information (to check if this is actually an emergency), blood type, allergies, ...
It's a personal choice which device suits you better. None of them is better than the other.

* = except for one scenario: If get knocked unconscious or can't set-off your device for any other reason, the PLB stays silent whereas the Spot at least provides the trail you have followed the past hours which includes your last position worst case 10 minutes ago.

Adrian Mc

Post by Adrian Mc » 01 May 11 5:17 pm

GPS equipped PLB for me.

I wayed up the options and the PLB came out on top.

SPOT2
-Purchase price $235AUD
-Yearly subscription to make it usable is $115USD on a basic plan, add an extra $50USD for the tracking feature
-While I can see some benefits of the tracking function, I always let people know where I am going and when I am due back anyway.
-If the messages are customised its relevant to you not someone else, hence you may not be able to lend it out.

PLB
-One off purchase price with no yearly subscription fee.
-Needs to be registered online but you can still lend it out (as I have for a carton of beer each time, and I'm up to 5 cartons so far)
-Batteries are good for 7 years.
-Has a test function so you can see if its working ok.

This was some of the stuff behind my reasoning anyway, I may still buy a Spot yet just to keep the miss'us happy (she likes to know what I am up to) but at the moment I am happy to have the PLB in my cars glovebox when out 4wding or in my backpack when out bushwalking.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 01 May 11 7:17 pm

Adrian Mc wrote:-If the messages are customised its relevant to you not someone else, hence you may not be able to lend it out.
You can set-up profiles which change the complete set-up including messages and whom and how to notify. I don't really use this feature ... just got one set-up

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 01 May 11 11:53 pm

Philipp wrote:I got one and I use it. http://track.fuzzel.de/ It's a bit more pricey than a PLB but you can actually send ok messages. I have one customised which says "I'm ok but I'll be out longer".

- If you only need something for the case of an emergency you're better off with a PLB.
- If you want the minds of the loved ones at ease go for the spot.

For the movable caches: Battery life time is less than a week at best. So where is the point in a self-tracking cache, if every finder has to bring a new pair of batteries?

I assume the price comparison relates to the purchase and connection charges for the 7 year life of a PLB?

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 02 May 11 12:00 am

ruzzelz wrote:I assume the price comparison relates to the purchase and connection charges for the 7 year life of a PLB?
A McMurdo FastFind 210 is 250 USD with westmarine. A spot comes at 150 USD + 100 USD/a for the subscription (+ another 50 USD/a for tracking)

>> PLB is cheaper in every way