Garmin 60CSX waypoint memory full?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Garmin 60CSX waypoint memory full?

Post by Yurt » 05 April 11 10:45 pm

I've got quite a number of caches in my Garmin 60CSX but not thousands by any means. Maybe 500 at most. Lately if I've entered a 'mark' I've been getting "waypoint memory full" and had to delete some old finds. This doesn't worry me as I have no use for old finds usually but I thought these things could hold thousands upon thousands of caches?
Does it have to save them to the micro SD card? I've got one in there but I can't seem to access it to add maps or anything (problem I've detailed elsewhere).

Or maybe I'm expecting too much?

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Re: Garmin 60CSX waypoint memory full?

Post by Richary » 05 April 11 11:13 pm

According to the specs it should hold 1000 Waypoints/favorites/locations, doesn't seem to be related to the memory card. I know on my Vista that when I load waypoints from GSAK they show up as Waypoints as well as Geocaches, I wonder if it is doubling them up for some reason?

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 06 April 11 6:49 am

Yurt,
Your 60csx doesn't save waypoints to the SD card. Waypoints (including geocaches) are saved in internal memory. You are limited to storing 1000 waypoints in internal memory. If you don't need to keep old geocaches or old waypoints in the gps then I suggest that you periodically clear them all from memory. To do this go FIND>WAYPOINTS>MENU>DELETE>ALL SYMBOLS>ENTER and that will clear them all out.

The SD card is mainly used to store maps (all contained in one image file) and tracklogs (if you have elected to save them to the SD card). The SD card can be used to also store Custom POI (a type of waypoint). Providing there is spare space available on the SD card the 60csx can store thousands of Custom POI waypoints. Custom POI are written to the card using the POI LOADER program.

There are a couple of ways to load maps to the SD card using a computer. Most people use Garmin's Mapsource program to write the maps to the SD card. You can only load maps that have been made using Garmin's file protocol. There are many 3rd party maps available.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 06 April 11 11:01 am

Thanks for the replies. Well 1000 would probably be closer to the mark with all the carparking waypoints (that I never use) being added I guess. I note it doesn't tell you when you're adding a cache that's already loaded in there so maybe there are multiple copies. Every now and again I'll hook it up and add all the local caches that have sprung up but sometimes I won't remember if I've put them in before so add them just in case. Now and again I'll find a geocache hasn't been added even though I'm certain I put it in.

I've never managed to add the maps via Mapsource. I can't seem to get my PC to read the SD card drive when connected to the GPS. Had some discussion of this elsewhere. Would be nice to have proper maps in there.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 06 April 11 2:03 pm

Hi. Maybe a Search over at gpsaustralia.net, for something like "60CSx transfer maps".

Also, with GPSr in Mass Storage mode, can you check the microSD card via PC:
My Computer>Garmin drive (possibly "Removable Media (E:)")>Garmin folder?
:)

BaldEd

Post by BaldEd » 06 April 11 2:23 pm

Yurt,
As a geocacher I get PQ's each week from geocaching.com containing only unfound caches. These I load into GSAK and then use GSAK to filter to select all unfounds, say, within a certain distance from my home. If the number of geocaches + child waypoints in this filter add up to more than, say, 970 then I reduce the distance until the total is <970. This gives me 30 spare waypoints to play with for storing manual waypoints e.g. next or final coords of a multicache/puzzle cache etc and adding the newly published geocache that I want to be FTF. :D You can find the total number of waypoints (geocaches + child waypoints) by selecting SEND TO GPS, in GSAK, and reading the numbers displayed at the top of the dialog box.

Before sending the weekly caches to the gps I delete all the existing waypoints from the gps and then use GSAK to send the caches. Using this technique you should never run out of waypoint storage.

As an aside, I also send all the North Island, South Island unfound and found caches, Australian found, redlight cameras, my own personal waypoints etc to the gps as CUSTOM POI every week. These are stored on the SD card. This provides me with a geocaching backup. More info can be stored about a cache using Custom POI than can be stored as an internal memory waypoint - the only downside is that the 60csx's geocache function doesn't work with Custom POI. Each weekly send to the SD card by Garmin's POI LOADER program overwrites the previous weekly send.

Richary

Post by Richary » 07 April 11 9:15 pm

I don't normally bother with downloading child waypoints, it's not set to do so in GSAK. Even so I was 26km south of home today and the local cache wasn't in the 480 I had loaded into the unit, with child waypoints I could probably halve the radius I have.

The only time I will load them is for a specific cache where there are quite a few that are useful, such as a multi where you need to visit a bunch of predetermined waypoints.