Garmin Chirp

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Garmin Chirp

Post by Rigger64 » 31 March 11 9:48 pm

My Question is can the Chirp be used in an underwater cache??
I asked Garmin & all they told me was that they are a land cache thing.
My question to garmin was could a Chirp be used in an underwater cache that has an air gap that the Chirp would be housed in the air gap.
Has anybody tryed a chirp under water yet??
If not has someone got one that they are willing to try it out to see if they work?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Garmin Chirp

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 March 11 10:53 pm

The chirp uses 2.4GHz, very similar to the frequency of a microwave oven. This frequency was chosen for microwaves because it's absorbed very readily by water, which is what most food mostly consists of.

So, the chirp signal will get very quickly absorbed by water and I'd be surprised if it would be usable even if only covered by mere cm.

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 01 April 11 12:37 am

The did extensive testing in the German forum: As soon as you put the chirp into a bucket of water the signal is gone

No it doesn't work

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 01 April 11 9:36 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:The chirp uses 2.4GHz, very similar to the frequency of a microwave oven. This frequency was chosen for microwaves because it's absorbed very readily by water, which is what most food mostly consists of.

So, the chirp signal will get very quickly absorbed by water and I'd be surprised if it would be usable even if only covered by mere cm.
Now that you mention the frequance of the Chirp that makes a lot of sense.
I have worked with Microwave Radio @ vereus Frequince's for about five years & like you were saying @ in the 2 Ghz range when it rained the signal would get hammered in relation to the intensity of the rain & the size of the rain drops.

Thats a bit of a Bummer that they won't work in/under water.
Thank you for the bit of info.