How the fruitcake do i do this? (Garmin eTrex H)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

How the fruitcake do i do this? (Garmin eTrex H)

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 03 March 11 9:37 pm

I'm feeling like a gumby already.

So, i finally got around to buying my first GPS today. (iPhones, and borrowing off others finally got too hard!), and i'm really confused.
How do you enter waypoints on it? The instruction book makes no sence.
I think i've figured out how to take waypoints..

if anyone can help/kick me in the right direction, they are awesome. :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: How the fruitcake do i do this? (Garmin eTrex H)

Post by Richary » 03 March 11 9:43 pm

I think we need a bit more information, like what GPS is it - the menus and so on vary between makes and models. In my Garmin there is a menu option for Mark and I can create a waypoint.

You will find this very tedious after a while, and a better option is to run GSAK or similar so you can download thepoints from GC (if you are a premium member) or GCA and then just upload them to the GPS via a cable.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 March 11 10:07 pm

Hi. A workaround for a single Waypoint generally, may be to Mark a "Test" Waypoint then edit/change those "Test" coordinates to the coordinates you want, then OK DONE SAVE or whatever. :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 March 11 10:07 pm

Richary wrote:I think we need a bit more information, like what GPS is it - the menus and so on vary between makes and models. In my Garmin there is a menu option for Mark and I can create a waypoint.

You will find this very tedious after a while, and a better option is to run GSAK or similar so you can download thepoints from GC (if you are a premium member) or GCA and then just upload them to the GPS via a cable.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 67#p174167
Garmin Etrex H

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 03 March 11 10:12 pm

If it is the same as ours, the little yellow etrex with side buttons

the simplest way for now is to mark a waypoint and it will bring up a screen with details on it, if you click on the ok it will just save it, BUT you can move the cursor down to the coordinates and then adjust them to the ones you want (the cache coords), this is also the screen where you can change the name from 001 etc to something that makes sense to you, then you save the waypoint.

the far simpler way is to buy a cable - this is where we got ours http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GARMIN-etrex-H-P ... 1c1975947a, and then you can upload straight from gc site or here or gsak

Bronnie_1990
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 03 March 11 10:36 pm

ah, sweet! I think i've figured it out!

I think i'm going to need to buy the cable, this is/seems more painful than what it should be.

thanks guys! :)

Jimmbow

Post by Jimmbow » 04 March 11 7:39 am

That cable works great with my Etrex H and Google Earth (importing/exporting tracks, waypoints etc.), some thing I have not yet been able to figure out with my new Dakota. I like the Etrex H, so simple.

Cheers
Jamie

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 05 March 11 9:11 am

Oops :oops: In case you read my post that I just deleted, the reason is I was thinking my eTrex is a model H whereas it is a Vista H. Cables may well be different.

Apologies, Kenny