How to get Oregon 300 to recognise Geocaches

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

How to get Oregon 300 to recognise Geocaches

Post by binns1012 » 28 February 10 5:05 pm

Hi does anyone know how to see geocache in list on Oregon 300, I have been to Geocom and done the send to Gps thing and it said success and the caches showed up in the oregon folder and I also tried saving them to the sd card where they also showed up but I cant get them to show in the list under Geocache on the device help please . I am at the moment transfering them as waypoint using Ozi send to Gps and that shows them as Waypoints .
regards Tony

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: How to get Oregon 300 to recognise Geocaches

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 28 February 10 5:39 pm

Hi Tony,

If what you have been trying is not working the only thing I can suggest is an upgrade to a Premium Membership. The Oregon is designed to recognise GPX files. I believe that you can only get these with a Premium Membership. Without using an extra program like GSAK, you can just run a pocket query (a GPX file containing up to 500 caches) and dump the file into your GPS.

Hope this helps.

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by binns1012 » 28 February 10 6:13 pm

HI and thanks for your reply , I dont do enough cahes to justify a premium membership I just do occasional caches whilst Bushwalking
regards Tony

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 28 February 10 7:34 pm

I got a new oregon 300 a week or so ago and had heaps of problems getting the gps to recognise the loaded gpx files as geocaches. I deleted the files off the gps and reloaded about 3 times and then it worked! As far as I can work out, I did nothing different but it didn't work the first few times and then it started to work.

I used GSAK to get my gpx files to load, and saved the file to the gps directory E:/garmin/gpx

Have a few goes and see if you can get it to work, just do it a few times as it might work after several tried, even if it doesn't work the first time or two. ie keep trying :)

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 28 February 10 8:00 pm

binns1012 wrote:...they also showed up but I cant get them to show in the list under Geocache on the device help please......
I take it they show up on the Map page when zoomed in to the appropriate level?

How far away are the caches that you are searching for? I believe that the Oregon will search for the nearest and then give up after a certain distance. If the cache is too far away it may show up on the map, however will not be searchable without searching by name or pushing the "Search Near" bullseye:

Image Image

Has the GPSr a satellite fix? It may be using the last fix which could be miles away or not have a fix to search. Just a thought...

Hope that helps.

mm

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 28 February 10 8:39 pm

I use GSAK to send caches to the O300 without problem - I do keep the firmware upto date - have you done this?

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by binns1012 » 28 February 10 8:49 pm

Hi all and thanks for your suggestions here's what I tried in response to MM , the caches 5 in total are all within 3k of home and all but one of them I have found previously . So I went outside got a fix still nothing in either list so hit the bullseye and selected point on map and it only showed the one of the found ones tried with the other options via bullseye and still nothing
yet I downloaded them as waypoints via ozi and they all show . I have been trying for 2 days to get them working but no joy yet .
regards Tony

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 28 February 10 9:11 pm

The geocaching feature will show nearest "unfound caches"....so the found one is strange. :?

Waypoints would ignore most of the geocaching data except location and name, hence they all show up as waypoints.

mm

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 28 February 10 9:13 pm

As you are loading them one at a time, maybe you load one, then overwrite it when you load one again and then overwrite that one. Can you see separate file names on the gps when it's plugged in to your computer via explorer? Or can you actually see several files on the gps?

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by binns1012 » 28 February 10 9:17 pm

Hi as I said earlier I can see them all on the pc via explorer so its got me beat
regards Tony

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 28 February 10 10:05 pm

Guys, for all of you using GSAK you are premium members. You can all upload to your Garmin because you can get access to a GPX download. Normal members can only download a WPT file.

Sounds like OZI is the best option binns. Until you upgrade you will not be able to get a GPX file and use the Oregon the way you want to.

(Nice background BTW MM)

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 28 February 10 10:24 pm

Hey Matt, what you have said is not correct. Binns is using the "Send to GPS" function, and this will load a GPX file into the n:/Garmin/GPX directory. It has all the location data, difficulty / terrain stuff. However it does not have the description, logs or hints. (Maybe this is that same as a waypoint file.)

It will definitely show up in the GeoCache list of the O300. (I tried it on my O300 with my sons non-premium account, and it works for me)

Binns, Try clearing all waypoints (Setup > Reset > Delete All Waypoints) and then see if the caches are in the GeoCache list.

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 28 February 10 10:27 pm

Well there you go you learn something new everyday!

GSAK is still not an option for the non premium members though.

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by binns1012 » 28 February 10 11:26 pm

Hi Roundcircle I tried the delete all waypoints and nothing changed still shows one geocache file in the found list but the others dont show on device only in the folder in explorer got me buggered.
regardsTony

roundcircle

Post by roundcircle » 28 February 10 11:55 pm

Weird. It definitely should work. I loaded up a couple more on mine to check that there wasn't a limit of one, and they all are there. (I have to search for them though, because the ones I loaded are a long way from where I am.)

Because you can see one cache, it seems it also works on yours, but for some reason some are missing. You could try reloading those caches from GC.com. Maybe they have been corrupted. Actually I'd try deleting all the .gpx files from the GPX directory. Delete all the waypoints using the reset option. Reboot the unit. Then try loading again.

I'd also suggest you check you have the latest code level on the O300. Upgrading the code to get caches to show is a bit drastic, but the code has improved the unit heaps over time, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to do anyway.

If you like I could also send you a gpx file from GSAK with a few caches to try that out. Not that it would fix your problem as it'd be a one time thing.