Jialbreaked iPhone Issue

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Jialbreaked iPhone Issue

Post by The Coffee's » 19 September 09 4:15 pm

I know this is a bit off the Geocaching topic, but i was wondering if anyone is using a Jailbreaked iPhone.
I have searched many forums and it appears Redsnow is the best way to jailbreak an iPhone but i was
wondering once this is done can you access iTunes and put your bought programs back on.<p>
There is thousands of help sites to get the iPhone unlocked/jailbreaked and even more dedicated to restoring
a bricked iPhone, and after one failed attempt is was very easy but long to bring it back to normal.
If there is anyone who could give me the answers in would be appreciated.<p>
The reason for wanting to Jailbreak is based on 3 applications i need and have but they will only run on a Jailbreaked iPhone
otherwise I would not worry. I do however need to keep a few bought and high price paid for applications.

WaldenClan
1600 or more caches found

Re: Jialbreaked iPhone Issue

Post by WaldenClan » 20 September 09 9:07 pm

Redsnow is the one i use and is extremely easy to use. Everything from iTunes works fine with it. The only issue i have is that when i what to send an sms, it takes about 10 secs or so for the screen to load. Otherwise its awesome. The ability to run multiple apps makes it well worth the upgrade, even with the minor sms problem.
Just make sure you backup your iPhone in iTunes BEFORE you do anything with redsnow, just in case.
If you decide you don't like it, You just nee to restore your phone from a backup and your good as gold.

-PJ-

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 21 September 09 1:21 pm

last night I used red snow and it was so easy to Jailbreak that I wondered why I took so long to do it. I followed the instructions to the second and after i was the owner of a nice jailbreaked iPhone.<p>
The only problem now was all my contacts and personal data was missing along with all my applications.......This is were I am confused. The instructions said to restore which I did but in the end I was back at stage 1 with the iPhone exactly as it was before i started. <p>
I obviously was missing some detail or method as I wanted to keep the Jailbreak but put the contacts and app back on as well.<p>
Any help appreciated.<p>
Regards Mr.Coffee<p>

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 21 September 09 2:09 pm

WaldenClan wrote:Redsnow is the one i use and is extremely easy to use. Everything from iTunes works fine with it. The only issue i have is that when i what to send an sms, it takes about 10 secs or so for the screen to load. Otherwise its awesome. The ability to run multiple apps makes it well worth the upgrade, even with the minor sms problem.
Just make sure you backup your iPhone in iTunes BEFORE you do anything with redsnow, just in case.
If you decide you don't like it, You just nee to restore your phone from a backup and your good as gold.

-PJ-
<p>
What I meant to ask is there a method in the restore process at the end of the Jailbreak program that puts all your contacts and apps back on, and keeps the Cydia etc as well.
Regards Mr.Coffee

WaldenClan

Post by WaldenClan » 21 September 09 2:19 pm

It shouldn't have wiped anything off your phone at all. I will have a look tonight and check what I did.

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 21 September 09 2:37 pm

WaldenClan wrote:It shouldn't have wiped anything off your phone at all. I will have a look tonight and check what I did.
<p>
Thanks

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 21 September 09 9:53 pm

OK all working fine and Jailbreaked.<br>
Here is how I did it:<p>
I used the web site www.iphonehacks.com for the files. I downloaded Redsnow 8 and iPhone 2 3.0 7A341-restore.ipsw into a folder on my desktop called Pwnage using firefox on a windows XP system.<p>
The instructions said to unzip the Redsnow file into this folder, which was done.<p>
Following the guide I restored the iPhone using the shift and restore which helped me point the the Pwnage folder restore.ipsw file. Again following the guide (read it at least 10 times as there is steps you must follow) I updated and installed Cydia Jailbreak which was fine.<p>
I now know what happened the first time and why I lost (temporary) my contacts. It appears I had installed a clean installation with the first try and I may have been able to fix it at the time had I cancelled and only synced instead.<p>
This time I backed up the iPhone and skipped the restore part as my iPhone was already set to version 3.0 and proceeded with the Redsnow program installation. This time I understood the timing of power and home buttons and it took one go and 35 seconds to be in Jailbreak installation mode. The whole proceess took around 3 minutes and upon restarting all my exisitng apps, contacts and the Jailbreak app where all in place and working fine.<p>
I think the difference this time was: The operating system had been set to 3.0 and the restore has nothing to do with the apps but is based on the system only. Since this was fine I skipped the restore and proceeded with the Jailbreak. This installed the extra apps and even though I had to point the process to the restore file in Pwnage it utilised the exisitng iPhone backup which had all the apps and contacts on.<p>
If anyone wants any further help with theirs or any other questions feel free to ring or email me.<p>
Regards Mr.Coffee
(Coffee Hotline 0401496649)

WaldenClan

Post by WaldenClan » 21 September 09 10:03 pm

Awesome well done Mr. Coffee.

I used this thread as an excuse to jailbreak my wife iPhone :D but discovered there is a whole lot of changes if you have upgraded to the 3.1 firmware.
Just reading up on it now. Last thing i need is to brick the wifes iPhone!! [-( [-X :D

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 21 September 09 11:42 pm

I looked at the 3.1 jailbreak option but the Dev team said they were still working on a couple of issues. I will wait a bit longer before upgrading the Jailbreak. Although experimenting on the wifes iPhone may be a fun idea LOL. :lol: