Why do files download in LOC instead of GPX?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
High Places

Why do files download in LOC instead of GPX?

Post by High Places » 23 July 04 12:10 am

Okay, so I've signed up for premium membership, I've selected to bulk download a Pocket Query, attempting to get all NSW Caches.

I'm using a flatscreen iMac running 10.3.4. I select GPX rather than LOC, but when I go to convert the resultant files for download to PDA with MacCMConvert it tells me that all the files are in LOC format, therefore have only very limited data.

Tried this very carefully 3 times, same result. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, the freeware/sharware guys providing the software must be philanthropic geniuses, but that's a differnet story.

Looking forward to some answers before a heavy day's cache-hunting in Albury tomorrow!

Cheers,

High Places

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 23 July 04 9:24 am

You won't be able to download all NSW caches, you are limited to 500 maximum and there are more than that in NSW. I suggest you only download say within a 200km radius of your home, for me in Sydney that gets me something like 400 odd caches.

If you select "GPX" down at the bottom of the pocket query screen then that's the file format you should get. Most cachers in Oz use GSAK on a windows platform, so help may be limited for your platform.

EcoDave :)

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 23 July 04 11:30 am

EcoTeam wrote:You won't be able to download all NSW caches, you are limited to 500 maximum
So do what I do, run two pocket queries, One for 500 Traditional caches, and one for 500 non traditional caches.

Set each query to deliver GPX files and that is what you will get.

As a Premium GSAK/Ozie/Windows XP User I have no problems.

Is MacCMConvert equipped to handle the additional information contained in GPX files?

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 17 August 04 9:41 am

I haven't tried it, but you might be able to grab all you want using a program called GeoToad (http://toadstool.se/hacks/geotoad/) to download the data.