Oziexplorer, how do I.......?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc

Which do you think is the better all round app (including map use)

OziExplorer
91%
ExpertGPS
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 22

aggregate

Oziexplorer, how do I.......?

Post by aggregate » 01 April 04 3:30 pm

Hi,
I've been investigating apps I can use with my Magellan SporTrack Map for some time now and have used MyGPS, EasyGPS, ExpertGPS, EasyGPS, Panterra, Babel and Oziexplorer. At present I find EasyGPS great for downloading waypoints, editing them and uploading them, MyGPS is OK for quick plotting of points on a scanned map and OziExplorer is excellent for plotting points, routes, etc. What I DONT like about Oziexplorer is it seems a little clunky in some areas (e.g. few shortcut keys that are normally standard, such as Ctrl+A), also, I can't seem to easily save routes and waypoints in ONE file like ExpertGPS allows and I can't view the altitude profile of routes, only tracks.

Does anyone know the answer to the following questions?

1. Can I save routes as tracks and vice versa?

2. Can I create standard shortcut keys within the app, such as Ctrl+A to select all?

3. I have scanned a map and calibrated using Eastings and Northings for 9 points. Some map features seem to be off by a couple of hundred metres in a southerly dir. The map is of Deep Ck conservation park (Cape Jervis map I think, 1:50000). I use a Magellan SporTrack map GPS. Normally I set it to WGS84, but the map uses WGS72, so I’ve set it to this for the upload of data. I also changed this in the app and for the scanned map used. Why are the tracks (Heysen trail) on the map out of alignment when plotted in Ozi on the scanned map? I’ve been very precise with the calibration. The map was scanned at 600DPI, so I can zoom in v close for calibration. Is it just a ‘bodgie’ map? I know my GPS may be out by 15M (standard I believe, but it seem spot on as far as caches go) and so may the map, but 200 metres seems too much. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, what procedure and apps do most of you use for uploading and downloading waypoints and routes, editing and plotting on scanned maps? It seems that no one app has all the features I want. ExpertGPS and EasyGPS seem excellent at uploading and editing and saving, Ozi seems excellent at plotting on scanned maps, creating track and routes, but seems a little odd at saving files, etc.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 01 April 04 10:14 pm

Hi Aggregate,
A lot of questions there...
There are a lot of answers at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L

Routes and tracks are different. Tracks have height and speed info (from the GPS) routes, essentially waypoints joined with lines, do not. If you manually enter waypoints there is no speed info and only height info if you enter it. Join them to make a route and there is still no speed or height info.

Make shortcut keys - haven't found the need.

map calibration - it appears your datum is wrong. 200 metres signifies an incorrect datum. Ozi waypoints are stored in the waypoint file using WGS84 datum, irrespective of the map datum.

How did you calibrate the map? from another map, from the UTM coords on the map or from waypoints loaded from the GPS?
I have calibrated parish maps, maps drawn in the late 1700's, air photos and sections of different topo maps glued together to make a composite without problems. I have never found the need to use more than 4 points.

I use Ozi to upload and download waypoints from/to the GPS and GPSBabel to convert between formats if needed.
The file save works well for me.

aggregate

Thanks

Post by aggregate » 08 June 04 5:12 pm

Hi Riblit, thanks for your answers to my many questions. I use the correct datum of WGS84, but due to the error tried using the datum the map is made in, without success. I calibrated the map using the Eastings and Northings on the map (MGRS coord system). I have also used this on other maps I have scanned, and they seem to be exact as far as plotting goes. I now understand the difference between routes and tracks, too. I suppose the best thing to do to negate the possible problem with the map is to buy them on CD!