Waypoint list download...Help

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Osluxa

Waypoint list download...Help

Post by Osluxa » 27 December 07 8:50 pm

Firstly I must admit I'm a bit a Geocaching technophobe. Yes, I still maually input coords into my Garmin Legend.
However, I am hoping to create (publish) a list of waypoints which can be freely downloaded.
Is there a generic file format that this list could be saved in that is simple to download and is recognised by a multitude of different branded GPS receivers - including handheld and incar units.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 27 December 07 8:55 pm

gpx is the defacto standard. It is a format recognised by the majority of gps software.

What kind of waypoints are you planning to distribute?

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 28 December 07 9:29 am

As a normal member you can download .loc files that contain just the coords and upload them using easy gps (free just follow the links on gc.com) these files only have the coords contained in them. If you want to use GPX files from gc.com then you have to be a premium member. These files contain all the cache info and can be used by various aplications like GSAK and GPX sonar plus many other ones.
I hope this helps you
Happy hunting
Crisp Image