Garmin Legend - Blue

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found

Garmin Legend - Blue

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 11 December 07 7:04 pm

Just bought on Ebay a Garmin Etrex Legend, old blue; as a replacement for the Magellan 315 I had stolen. So that I don't have to read right thru the manual, a couple of questions. Can I buy a converter to plug into the end of the serial cable to plug into a USB slot to download stuff; waypoints etc; and will that work?? It comes with a serial connection only. Also will Shonky maps work on this model? AND is there a way to delete Waypoints in bulk instead of one at a time. When I received it, it still had lots of waypoints on it from the previous owner and I deleted them 1 at a time. Thanks!!

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Re: Garmin Legend - Blue

Post by Mix » 11 December 07 7:24 pm

Can I buy a converter to plug into the end of the serial cable to plug into a USB slot to download stuff?
yes but can be hard to find in shops.
Also will Shonky maps work on this model?
should do
AND is there a way to delete Waypoints in bulk instead of one at a time.
yes it a bit hard to find but in the list of waypoints go to drop down next to x in top right.

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 11 December 07 7:33 pm

Mix has answered most. With regard to Shonkymaps, they work well. The only problem is the lack of memory. Only 8meg but enough to cover a fair bit of country.
I've used mine with a serial - usb converter with no problems. Check out ebay again.
I think you should be happy with the unit, I am with mine.

Kev

An after thought, check in the navigation screen that the pointer is set to bearing, not course. The setting is in the drop down box beside the x in the top rh corner. If the option shown is course pointer it's set correctly.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 11 December 07 8:40 pm

Answers:

1 - http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

Can find in a number of online stores or in DSE. I used it with a Garmin Legend and PC. Fine for MapSource and GSAK.

2 - Yes. You can load a section of it and it should be OK. I used a similar mapset and it easily fit all of NSW.

3 - Go to the Main menu screen, bring out the menu for that screen by clicking the second to right option on top of screen, click on reset and then tick Delete all waypoints (?). Good luck.

emeryco

Post by emeryco » 11 December 07 9:16 pm

I recently bought a cable for my etrex and it works well (bit expensive). If you already have the serial cable, you can also by an adaptor to go to USB. They come with a driver and are easy to install. http://www.gpsoz.com.au/cables.htm#USB%20Cables

5commer3
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by 5commer3 » 11 December 07 9:24 pm

I bought one on sunday and it works fine with my Vista,
paid $39.95 at jayco in tassie, just around corner from DSE and $30 cheaper, also $20 cheaper than Hardley normals best price, Office works
usually keep them but had ran out,
It pays to shop around sometimes, :wink:

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 11 December 07 10:22 pm

Thanks everyone; just saved me having to read emmanuelle.

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 12 December 07 2:39 pm

Have been very happy with my Legend, and have just got a copy of Shonky Maps to install.<br>
Keep meaning to get a USB/RS232 adaptor. A quick search on Ebay has them for $10 here.