New Forum Area: Milestones

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
zactyl

New Forum Area: Milestones

Post by zactyl » 14 January 08 2:44 pm

Call for discussion for a new Forum Area for congratulatory threads. Picking through them in the "Posts since last visit" list is getting tedious, and if they were all put in the one section it would make them easier to ignore (via Greasemonkey script).
Discuss! :D

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 14 January 08 2:53 pm

How about a sticky in each State forum? Then it is contained to one thread which is easily ignored (if that is what you choose to do).

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 14 January 08 3:20 pm

I like the idea of containing it to one area, as this 4 out of 5 posts thing is a tad distracting. In any case, something needs to be done.

Today's latest posts:

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 14 January 08 5:21 pm

It really doesn't bother me, if a thread doesn't interest me in my search then I just don't open it. Not too hard really!<P>But I'm only a newby to this forum so others may have different ideas.

nomad_penguin

Post by nomad_penguin » 14 January 08 6:00 pm

fehrgo wrote:I like the idea of containing it to one area, as this 4 out of 5 posts thing is a tad distracting. In any case, something needs to be done.
Note that six out of the seven were South Aussies :roll: ... just like me :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 January 08 8:19 pm

I can see the argument after the last lot in the SA Forum. But on the other hand I am interested in seeing milestones reached by people I know / have cached with - which at the moment is SA even though now living in Sydney.

I am less interested in seeing milestones reached by people in places like Qld or WA where I don't really know anyone. So I would be less likely to read that forum if it was separate.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 14 January 08 9:43 pm

Both hands up for this idea, I can make a special spot in the deleted thread if you want? :lol:

I have posted into the Mods area to discuss this one further.

!mike

Post by !mike » 15 January 08 9:15 am

Thread for each State makes sense to me.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 15 January 08 10:06 am

nomad_penguin wrote:How about a sticky in each State forum? Then it is contained to one thread which is easily ignored (if that is what you choose to do).
Provided there are no complaints when a moderator removes an errant "milestone" post because somebody decided they wanted to start a new thread rather than add to the sticky.

nomad_penguin

Post by nomad_penguin » 15 January 08 11:05 am

riblit wrote:
nomad_penguin wrote:How about a sticky in each State forum? Then it is contained to one thread which is easily ignored (if that is what you choose to do).
Provided there are no complaints when a moderator removes an errant "milestone" post because somebody decided they wanted to start a new thread rather than add to the sticky.
Well, there will be complaints no matter which way you go :lol:, but there are already milestone threads on the SA forum that should be merged, so IMHO, go right ahead!

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 January 08 12:58 pm

nomad_penguin wrote:but there are already milestone threads on the SA forum that should be merged, so IMHO, go right ahead!
Mods/Admins "cannot" merge threads asthis board software does not allow it.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 15 January 08 1:59 pm

Both hands up, jumping up and down and screaming loudly in support of anything to contain the milestone threads.

1st lady

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 15 January 08 2:47 pm

Forget the stickies. It would be more trouble then it is worth for the mods. Just make a new area that way they can be moved into that area from other areas.

Dooghan

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 January 08 10:56 am

I think they need to be contained within state lines. 9 times out of 10, a cacher in Tasmania won't know who a QLDr is and so forth.

Why not let the state mods make a decision on a state by state basis? Tassie has it sorted, WA doesn't have an issue, etc.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 16 January 08 3:06 pm

Since the board does not support merging threads, the separate milestone forum area would seem to be the easiest to maintain, especially from an administration standpoint. It would also likely result in the least stepped on fingers.

For those states that wish to maintain a single thread for milestones, I don't think many would object - the real issue as I see it is having a way, any viable way, to contain the jumble of posts that show up when trying to parse through the forum for real information. Any stray threads could still be moved to the milestones forum area, even if that state had a sticky milestones thread.

Regarding the seeming random jumble of threads that would occur in that new forum area, I suspect that a de-facto differentiation method would emerge, such as a two letter state abbreviation in the thread subject. Given time to sort it out and settle down, I think it would work well.

As Cached alluded, some states have no problem, others need a bit of a nudge :)

/ needless rant about milestones removed :) /
Last edited by fehrgo on 17 January 08 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.