A Proposal for Revamping the Stars

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Should we change the colours of the stars to the scheme outlined in this post?

Yes. The new system is more comprehensive.
16%
No. I like my 5 shiny red stars and want to keep them as is.
8%
No. I will propose an alternative system.
12%
Do as you will. I don't care either way.
63%

Total votes: 49

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 27 November 07 9:19 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The number 500 conveys a different meaning and would introduce the question of why isn't it showing 512 which is the actual number.
<p>
Fair point, but the digits would also be accompanied by the standard text, like '500 or more caches found'.
<p>
Anyhow, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming mood for change, and the current system has certainly served us well over the years, so it might just be easier to leave things as they stand. I don't feel strongly about it, and I wouldn't be disappointed if the system stayed the same.
<p>
It never hurts to discuss things. That's what a forum is for, after all.
<p>
caughtatwork wrote:Maybe it is all about the numbers :lol:
<p>
I thought that went without saying! :lol:
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak
<p>
P.S. CraigRat's post came in while I was writing this.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 November 07 9:39 pm

Discussion is always good.

It's great to see so many people contributing to the thread with so many offerings.

chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by chatmanais » 27 November 07 11:39 pm

i am another one for the purely textual way - whats more universally recognisable to everyone... the number 1000 or a star representing its value. I dont think it necessary to have them although it is good to see people excited about their stars. 8)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 November 07 12:09 am

chatmanais wrote:i am another one for the purely textual way - whats more universally recognisable to everyone... the number 1000 or a star representing its value. I dont think it necessary to have them although it is good to see people excited about their stars. 8)
The numbers are already there, as part of the descriptive text.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 28 November 07 2:17 am

Pesky! wrote:is there provision on this phpbb to allow for signature ( sig) files?
the code could go into their sig file and be displayed that way.
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Hell no!
Nothing to stop you keeping the code handy and pasting it in every post if you're so inclined. You could even set up a macro if you're that keen! :D

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 28 November 07 7:56 am

CraigRat wrote:
Bewilderbeest wrote:Okay, another idea...Display number of finds and ranking.
Ouch!
That would certainly cause pain to the server... we will inevitably end up with stacks of admin requests saying 'I have x finds and it shows only y finds....'
I didn't seriously think it was realistic to do rankings - I assumed it would result in too much server load.

I was just trying to provoke some thought/comment as to why we have stars or any indicator of who has done how many caches.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 November 07 8:55 pm

Bewilderbeest wrote:I was just trying to provoke some thought/comment as to why we have stars or any indicator of who has done how many caches.
<p>
I admit to enjoying my stars, and look forward to being able to update them - though I don't tend to do it for every 50 like I did when I was in the low hundreds. Very 1 or 2 hundred will do these days.<p> I'm certainly not into a pissing competition about who has found the most - I accept I will never be even close to #1 on the Australian list and don't really care. It's not a competitive sport to me, just something that fills in time and takes me to interesting places. As well as sometimes providing a challenge.<p>So what are the stars? Maybe a little self given pat on the back for reaching another milestone. And I don't care how many caches anyone else has found, if they have more they either live somewhere with more and have more time for it, if less they are newer at the sport, live somewhere with less, or have less time. <p>All that said, I prefer stars (or some other suitable symbol) to a number.

Alansee

Post by Alansee » 29 November 07 9:24 pm

tronador wrote:
Alansee wrote: However, if we ARE to have stars, I suggest that we do away with the 50's.
Why? For some cachers it takes a long time to notch up 50. All cachers should be recognised not just those with high stats

I stand corrected! Lets keep the 50's! :D :D Thanks tronador.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 03 December 07 9:18 pm

It was more interesting when there were different phrases for different find numbers. Since these were changed to "XXX or more caches found", we have never bothered updating our stars from "100 or more tracks walked". For us it is about the journey rather than the numbers. :D

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 03 December 07 11:12 pm

andiamo wrote:Since these were changed to "XXX or more caches found", we have never bothered updating our stars from "100 or more tracks walked". For us it is about the journey rather than the numbers. :D
Love it - let's change it to X km walked to find Y caches. :)