Faeries - are you listening?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 July 08 11:12 pm

svn07, check that you have selected a home state in your settings. http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/
Might be as simple as that?

The developers and coders and even the site host do it out of the goodness of their hearts. I've heard mention that they will accept payment in beer though. :lol:

caughtatwork

Re: Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics!!

Post by caughtatwork » 23 July 08 11:54 pm

svn07 wrote:I think I'm in the right place for this.....

Feeling a little chuffed that I've already got 45 finds in my first "full" month but a wee bit miffed that I'm not appearing with the other clever folk in the Qld top 10 (which goes down to 40). Is something broke or am I not understanding the stats?

BTW - reading through this thread....are the likes of C@W etc PAID for this or do you do it out of the goodness of your hearts...if it is the latter...WOW - clearly legends 8) !

Thanks for the help
SVN07
Couple of things to take note of.
The dashboard is updated (give or take) every hour to save processing time on the system.
Caches that are in your home state are counted towards your home state dashboard. i.e. You have found 45 this month, but 1 is a locationless which is not in your home state, so unfortunately doesn't count. Your count of Qld caches this month is 44.
Logs that are in the system at the time that the dashboard is generated will be used in the totals.
We don't get a feed every single day for every single cache in the country. The last 9 caches you found were fed into the system at 9:39pm tonight, so you missed the latest dashboard update.
I've refreshed the dashboard manually and you should now see yourself in the top 10.

Hope that helps to explain the methodology a little bit more.

On your second note, no we don't get paid. We do it for love and adoration :-)

Memberships would need to be about $100 per person per year to afford me alone. I hear CraigRat is cheaper than I am though and will indeed accept beer :lol:

svn07
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by svn07 » 24 July 08 9:59 am

Thanks Damo...as a parochial Queenslander (really the only kind there is) of course I had my home state set :lol: :roll: :lol: .

As for all those giving from the goodness of their hearts - THANKS - much love and adoration coming your way.

And, given we are (mostly) in a virtual world..a little something for C@W...

and for CraigRat
Image (well...it had to be a Qld beer :twisted: :D :wink: )

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 07 August 08 5:31 pm

Hellloooo faeries,

I'm not sure but I think I may have found a bug.

It happens when I import my logs.
Sometimes I import my GC.com logs from GSAK and GCA adds the cache as it hasn't seen it in the daily feed. If that happens, then it imports from my log in reverse order, so when viewed on the website, there is/are logs previous to the cache being published.
Check this cache.
Now, because my log is before the published log and/or I uploaded the the gpx file before the daily feed got it, the top finders for the year hasn't updated and I also think the top finders for the month hasn't updated (although I would have been pushed out by now).

As Horus once said, "The stats have to be right" and I don't think they are...
Just counted Tassie finds for this year and got 164 but dashboard indicates 157.... Hmmmm :shock:
Even worse GSAK reports 176!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 August 08 5:48 pm

Swampy wrote:Now, because my log is before the published log and/or I uploaded the the gpx file before the daily feed got it, the top finders for the year hasn't updated and I also think the top finders for the month hasn't updated (although I would have been pushed out by now).

As Horus once said, "The stats have to be right" and I don't think they are...
Just counted Tassie finds for this year and got 164 but dashboard indicates 157.... Hmmmm :shock:
Even worse GSAK reports 176!
Top finders on the front page is only updated hourly.
Top finders on the state pages are only updated hourly.
So you won't see an immediate change after you import logs.

The order in which the logs appear on the screen is not relevant to whether they are picked up in the ladders.

When I go to your finds for this year and count the ones from Tasmania, I get 157 which is what the dashboard says.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/TeamSwampy/finds

Locationless caches aren't counted, BTW.

You're using GSAK?
Extract all of your caches and found logs, output them to a GPX file, send to me and I'll run a compare against the DB and see what you have that the DB doesn't.
Last edited by caughtatwork on 07 August 08 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » 07 August 08 7:57 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Top finders on the front page is only updated hourly.
Top finders on the state pages are only updated hourly.
So you won't see an immediate change after you import logs.
I uploaded the logs on either the 3rd or the 4th.
Dashboard hasn't updated since before I uploaded the gpx file. :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 August 08 9:01 pm

EMail.
All solved :-)