Geocoins

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Would you be interested in a Geocoin sub-forum on GCA?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 86

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Geocoins

Post by Cheesy pigs » 04 November 07 8:52 pm

Can we have a separate sub-forum for geocoins please? Or are there still not enough people interested in them?
Last edited by Cheesy pigs on 05 November 07 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 November 07 8:56 pm

I dont think there is enough interest myself, they consist of very few posts. Buy/sell forum is the dedicated place currently as this appears to be the majority of their purpose.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 04 November 07 9:22 pm

I dont think there is enough interest...
Then they dont know what they're missing out on :twisted:

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 04 November 07 9:55 pm

Team Piggy wrote:I dont think there is enough interest myself, they consist of very few posts. Buy/sell forum is the dedicated place currently as this appears to be the majority of their purpose.
And appart from that I was told I would get excommunicated if such a request occurred... after my efforts for getting a 4wd forum off the ground............

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 04 November 07 10:35 pm

I think there may be enough interest for a separate section.

And given that it seems hard to start a thread concerning geocoins on this forum without some posters making very negative comments about the concept of geocoins in general, a separate section where those of us who like them can discuss them, without other posters having to read the threads and express their dislike of geocoins might work well.

Perhaps a poll would gauge the level of interest?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 November 07 11:01 pm

My $0.02AU:

I have one major issue with a coin area:

I seem to see more stuff on this topic relating to people selling their coins (as opposed to trading/swapping).... if this place became a platform for ppl to spin a quick buck then I'd have to oppose the idea.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 November 07 11:04 pm

Hence why it is already in the Buy & Sell area

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 04 November 07 11:24 pm

CraigRat wrote:I seem to see more stuff on this topic relating to people selling their coins (as opposed to trading/swapping).... if this place became a platform for ppl to spin a quick buck then I'd have to oppose the idea.
What's the difference between having a seperate section and this happening in the buy/sell section now. Based on that, you should be opposing all geocoins sales in that section at the moment.

I am in favour of a seperate section, though i would like to see it encompass all trackables eg Swaggies, TB's and geocoins etc. :P

mm

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 04 November 07 11:36 pm

Map Monkey wrote: What's the difference between having a seperate section and this happening in the buy/sell section now. Based on that, you should be opposing all geocoins sales in that section at the moment.
I do...

It hasn't become a great issue here yet as most of the die hard coiners do their trading, selling and discussion on the GC forums anyhow.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 05 November 07 12:00 am

Thanks for your thoughts Craigrat. Whilst i can appreciate your concerns, i believe that a seperate area would allow this forum to recognise a ligitimate sector of geocaching....much like we have done with 4wding, photography etc.

Of all of these "die hard coiners" you allude to, that frequent the GC forums, almost all of them do not sell coins there, rather they interact in discussion. I can only think of one cacher who may sell some geocoins infrequently (not that there should be anything wrong with that), though i can think of many more who either enjoy collecting/trading or just the thrill of finding them. If this is the case, then why can't there be a section for discussion etc in this forum?

I think i have conveyed my thoughts enough and as such should leave it for others to discuss their thoughts.

mm

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 05 November 07 7:52 am

CraigRat wrote:My $0.02AU:

I have one major issue with a coin area:

I seem to see more stuff on this topic relating to people selling their coins (as opposed to trading/swapping).... if this place became a platform for ppl to spin a quick buck then I'd have to oppose the idea.
:lol: Making a quick buck from coins? :lol: You've got to be joking! :P

I am one of those annoying people who has sold coins on the buy/sell forum because I thought it was fine to do it there. But selling on forums to make a quick buck? Nah...I always sell at a loss, and then use the money to buy more coins....

It's a terrible addiction/affliction, but somebody's got to have it :roll: :wink:

There is a major amount of emailing going on between the Australian geocoin-loving population, because there really isnt a place on the forums we can blather on about them, except on the GC forums, but sometimes you just want to talk to other Aussies....

....and there are lots of people still hiding in the closet (and I know who you are :wink: ) but I think would join in the discussion if there was to be a forum....

But if there wasn't a forum, I could live with that, and just keep going to GC *sigh*

My $0.02 worth :D

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 05 November 07 8:02 am

How about you set up a simple Yes/No poll to see how the numbers stack up?

At the moment we don't have anything to base any decision on, other than hearsay...(and our own perceptions of coins)

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 05 November 07 8:10 am

CraigRat wrote:How about you set up a simple Yes/No poll to see how the numbers stack up?

At the moment we don't have anything to base any decision on, other than hearsay...(and our own perceptions of coins)
And....DONE O Ratty One :wink:

Hmm the poll is going well so far - 100% yes :lol: :lol: :lol:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 05 November 07 10:35 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:
Hmm the poll is going well so far - 100% yes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmm, 5,900 registered users of which 141 are interested enough to view the message, from these 12 are moved to vote, with 6 in favour and the rest against.

These numbers may change with time.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 November 07 11:35 am

It might be a misleading poll, I think. I'm not at all interested in a trackable forum, but I don't care if there is one! Much the same way as I generally ignore the 4WD and photography forums unless a topic especially grabs me.

So, I chose not to vote as either option would misrepresent my view.