Geocoins

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Would you be interested in a Geocoin sub-forum on GCA?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 86

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 December 07 9:35 pm

Discussions are occurring in the moderators forum (yes, it's special and hidden).

40 or so for, 20 or so not for, a unknown number who have no position either way.

A decision will be forthcoming, based on the content and poll in this thread.

Please keep discussing and get those votes in. 60 votes out of a thousand active cachers doesn't really give a huge opinion either way.

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 10 December 07 11:28 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Discussions are occurring in the moderators forum (yes, it's special and hidden).

40 or so for, 20 or so not for, a unknown number who have no position either way.

Please keep discussing and get those votes in. 60 votes out of a thousand active cachers doesn't really give a huge opinion either way.
Without me trying to start a big argument here, i just looked back at the poll for the "Offroad Forum" and the numbers were 35 for and 28 against.

Unless we start losing numbers for the "for" and gain a few more "against" then i think we should get one.

I voted "for" in both the polls in case anyone was thinking i was out to get the offroad guys in a knot.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 10 December 07 11:53 pm

Damo. wrote:
jabes7 wrote: I have heard it said that really it's just $10 worth of metal, but if you like them, well enjoy them as part of this fun activity.
More like $0.50 worth of metal and $9.50 of shiney-prettyness. :lol:

Can we give them their own section please.
I'm sorry...what was that Damo? $0.50 worth of metal?????

1 ounce 0.9999 fine gold in airtight capsule and velvet display box, USD$1095.00 each

And yes, it is trackable ;) :D

....and if anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas this year.... :lol: 8) :shock:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 11 December 07 2:40 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:
Damo. wrote:
jabes7 wrote: I have heard it said that really it's just $10 worth of metal, but if you like them, well enjoy them as part of this fun activity.
More like $0.50 worth of metal and $9.50 of shiney-prettyness. :lol:

Can we give them their own section please.
I'm sorry...what was that Damo? $0.50 worth of metal?????

1 ounce 0.9999 fine gold in airtight capsule and velvet display box, USD$1095.00 each

And yes, it is trackable ;) :D

....and if anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas this year.... :lol: 8) :shock:
Okay, so that one is USD$809.10 worth of metal. Nice box. ;)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 07 12:22 pm

Knot_gillty wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Discussions are occurring in the moderators forum (yes, it's special and hidden).

Without me trying to start a big argument here, i just looked back at the poll for the "Offroad Forum" and the numbers were 35 for and 28 against.

Unless we start losing numbers for the "for" and gain a few more "against" then i think we should get one.

I voted "for" in both the polls in case anyone was thinking i was out to get the offroad guys in a knot.
No arguments, discussion is taking place as whether this would be to the benefit of the community. If the decision is yes, then it will be where the forum is best placed. We are continuing discussions and there has been no decision for yes or no at this point in time.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 11 December 07 1:36 pm

caughtatwork wrote:...discussion is taking place as whether this would be to the benefit of the community. If the decision is yes, then it will be where the forum is best placed. We are continuing discussions and there has been no decision for yes or no at this point in time.
/me bats eyelids at C@W....

/me throws money in C@W's direction....

/me steals C@W and holds him for ransom....

/me gives C@W back and apologises....

/me bows down and grovels......

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 11 December 07 2:03 pm

Dont forget the bribes to the rest of the mods/admins :wink:

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 11 December 07 2:25 pm

Team Piggy wrote:Dont forget the bribes to the rest of the mods/admins :wink:
/me passes 'round the hat......

jabes7
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by jabes7 » 11 December 07 5:03 pm

By collect do you maen collecting find counts, or are you taking coins and not moving them on?

No, I meant collect as in buying and keeping, like one might have a collection of Coke bottles or some equally strange thing. I'm shocked you would suggest stealing a coin! :wink:

It does make you think twice about releasing one though.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 December 07 8:39 pm

No formal response yet, but if we do create a new geocoin area, who are y'all thinking about moderating it?

There would need to be some strict moderation such that it wouldn't be open slather on people joining up just to flog their coins.

If people can now start discussing its intent and direction, it will help determine the structure and accepted content for that forum as well as set the baseline for the type of moderation that would occur.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 11 December 07 9:15 pm

No formal response yet, but if we do create a new geocoin area, who are y'all thinking about moderating it?

There would need to be some strict moderation such that it wouldn't be open slather on people joining up just to flog their coins.

If people can now start discussing its intent and direction, it will help determine the structure and accepted content for that forum as well as set the baseline for the type of moderation that would occur.
Is it premature to do a happy dance? ;)

I was thinking:

* one sticky thread for selling
* one sticky thread for trading
* Then the rest general coin chat
* Having it as a 'Trackables' forum not just geocoins so it would include pathtags, geotags, geocoins, TB's, Swaggies etc?

I'd be happy to help moderate it as well :)

What does everyone else think?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 11 December 07 9:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:No formal response yet, but if we do create a new geocoin area, who are y'all thinking about moderating it?
If there is a requirement to have another moderator for this section, i would like to nominate for the position in conjunction with CP.

I agree....though i see the extra section as more of a discussion area with the odd sales thread. I believe these threads should either be moved to the Buy/Sell area (with moderation still) or allowed to exist in this section with some strict guidelines.

As i have stated before, i feel that the area should encompass all forms of trackables, especially swaggies. Geocoins are but one type of "trackables" and should not be the main focus of this section.

I can see that the majority of discussion would focus around "where do i get them" (from a newbie perspective), how do i activate them, etc rather than the continuous sales of predominantely geocoins.
Good idea.....some thought needs to be put into this area, to allow a open yet moderated section to exist. I'll think about this some more......

Thanks for the feedback so far C@W.

mm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 December 07 8:03 pm

Any further comments on intent and direction?

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 22 January 08 10:58 am

caughtatwork wrote:Any further comments on intent and direction?
Myself and Map Monkey have commented...anyone else??