I don't answer polls
5%
No, people can post in the exsisting correct sections
19%

Total votes: 62

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 September 07 9:14 pm

Mr Router wrote:
Pesky! wrote: P.s. perhaps moderators could take turns, or pass around the opportunity.
let everyone who wants to have a go at moderating, give it a trial for a month or 3. rather than the "special crew"
club that seems to form amongst those in charge.

Geocaching for the people by the people.
What a top idea Pesky :wink:
Those "in charge" put in a great deal of time contributing to the running of this site and writing code for new features with very little recognition and no pay. I've read a couple of comments recently implying that they are some kind of Elite group. I think that is extremely unfair.

Ranger1
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Ranger1 » 29 September 07 10:42 pm

We were newbie cachers less than 2 years ago but didn't know about the forums then. Forunately we found out what we needed from the FAQ pages & a couple of local cachers. However I do think that it's a good idea to have a a newbie info area. Also I think that a little more attention could be drawn to the forums especially if it has a page for newbies.

jabes7
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by jabes7 » 01 November 07 10:08 am

I wouldn't be surprised to find that many newbies (myself included) are terrified to post on the forums - even now I'm feeling nervous! There seems to be a mysterious set of rules/ code of etiquette that you must follow, but it is a bit hard to figure this out if you're not familiar with the way forums work.

I read the new posts when I log in, but if I need help I try and look through all the relevant stuff. In fact I've recently found some great advice on paperless caching in the forums.

So what I'm getting at is that I think (as a newbie) that it would be great to have all the stuff you need to know early on in one place, then you can find it easily and not have to summon up the courage to ask a probably stupid question. Now I'm 'really' nervous...

5commer3
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by 5commer3 » 01 November 07 2:09 pm

:shock: I don't answer polls
3%
3% [ 2 ] :lol:

should this have been, I only answer polls sometimes ?
I will this time, but I'd rather not let you know what I really think, :wink: :roll:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 November 07 2:29 pm

jabes7 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to find that many newbies (myself included) are terrified to post on the forums - even now I'm feeling nervous! There seems to be a mysterious set of rules/ code of etiquette that you must follow, but it is a bit hard to figure this out if you're not familiar with the way forums work.

I read the new posts when I log in, but if I need help I try and look through all the relevant stuff. In fact I've recently found some great advice on paperless caching in the forums.

So what I'm getting at is that I think (as a newbie) that it would be great to have all the stuff you need to know early on in one place, then you can find it easily and not have to summon up the courage to ask a probably stupid question. Now I'm 'really' nervous...
Tada !
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Main_Page

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 November 07 4:05 pm

jabes7 wrote:... to summon up the courage to ask a probably stupid question. Now I'm 'really' nervous...
The forum should have a banner running across the top of it saying...
There are no stupid questions.
It concerns me that somehow the vibe is given off that whatever you say it's going to be wrong or thought less of. Why do we have to censor our own posts. It shouldn't be. :?

I remember feeling a bit weird about asking for help with caching when I started. I had the Datum wrong but its important people feel comfortable asking questions, especially somewhere when the answer is already available and it's just a matter of someone providing a link.

Thanks Caughtatwork. Thats a good start indeed.

B.

jabes7
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by jabes7 » 02 November 07 10:19 am

Just wander back and have a read of Pesky's post that started this thread. He was worried that he would get flamed etc for even suggesting the idea - when you read posts like that, you think to yourself that perhaps it is safer not to take the risk.

But I'm bravely taking it now, so maybe I'll be a more regular poster in future.

spikeyjen

Post by spikeyjen » 02 November 07 10:16 pm

Well done Jabes.. but I have to agree,
the forum is daunting and some comments unwelcoming. If you are totally new to the sport it's easier to spend endless wasted hours searching the site in the hope that someone has asked it before you than worry if you look daft asking a dumb question.

Yes, there are no stupid questions, unless you are new and the question has been asked a hundred times before you. (and you don't know where to look for the answer).

bring on a newbie section I say....

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 03 November 07 4:02 pm

If you have an area just for new cachers, you might find that the experienced cachers might not go there to read that section and they are the cachers that the inexperienced are asking the questions of. In other words you want the inexperienced and the experienced to read the section. Leave it as it is. Yes, there are no stupid questions as we were all newbies once and we know what it was like. My 2 bobs worth.