Locationless Cache Co-ordinates

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 January 08 12:25 pm

SUBYDAZZ wrote:Regarding the change of locations for locationless and removal of state, how will they be treated in a finders stats? ie all cache finds are identified by state of find currently. Also I'm not sure about the zero location as it will place all of these in the South Atlantic Ocean near Africa? Maybe some other format can be used?
The following has now occurred:
Lat / Lon set to zero. If you look at them on a map, you will see them in the middle of the ocean.
Locale (i.e. suburb) has been set to Locationless
State has been set to Loc
Country has been set to Locationless

They will appear on your stats page as Loc (in the state section) and Locationless (in the country section).

You can still get a GPX file for all locationless here:
http://geocaching.com.au/caches/locationless

That way you can still know about all of the locationless caches at GCA.

They won't come out in the state files as they are no longer state based.

If you select the Google Earth link, you can see where all of the logs have been made. I'll leave the other points to CraigRat as he's presumably got some ideas.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Location Co-ordinates in Logs

Post by Jardry » 25 May 08 8:53 am

I've just downloaded the locationless caches into my GSAK.

When viewing the logs as they have been imported into GSAK, the location of the logged co-ordinates are not displayed.

As an example, I was looking at http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0271 (Christmas Light Cache) and the locations are displayed on the GCA webpage as links, but those co-ordinates are not displayed in the GSAK logs.

Is it possible for the co-ordinates to some how be included in the GPX file (just not in a co-ordinates field - perhaps convert them to text and append at the beginning of each log?).

Users could then if they wanted to "cut and paste" the co-ordinates into the corrected co-ordinates field, download them to their GPSr and visit the location.

Forgive me if there is another way of doing it, but I couldn't find it.

Jardry

caughtatwork

Re: Location Co-ordinates in Logs

Post by caughtatwork » 27 May 08 12:42 pm

Jardry wrote:Is it possible for the co-ordinates to some how be included in the GPX file (just not in a co-ordinates field - perhaps convert them to text and append at the beginning of each log?).
Your request has been fulfilled.

GPX files that have "additional waypoints" added to a log will now have those additional waypoints included in the GPX file in decimal degrees format.

<log_wpt lat="dd.dddd" lon="dd.dddd" />

This has been tested against GSAK and works fine.

SUBYDAZZ
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by SUBYDAZZ » 27 May 08 12:44 pm

Excellent :)