Geocaching Australia subscriptions

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Mr Emu

Geocaching Australia subscriptions

Post by Mr Emu » 01 April 07 1:38 am

Logged on to check some stats tonight and was presented with a new page asking me to consider subscribing to Geocaching Australia...
So, we're offering you the chance to become a fully-fledged subscriber of Geocaching Australia. As a subscriber, your benefits include exclusive access to:

* Google Earth feed
* Locationless Caches
* Statistics (Both yours AND other cachers!)
* Members Only Caches
* Cache Hints
* Full details of Groundspeak caches

To celebrate, we're offering the first 50 subscriptions at half price! Normal price is $49.95 per annum, but for the first 50 subscriptions, you only pay $24! That's right: $24 per annum for all these great features! (That's only $2/month!)
I don't mind paying to support GCA, and I would certainly like to be one of the first 50, to take advantage of the half-price offer, but the link to pay is broken in both Firefox and IE.
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 72391 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 67 bytes) in /home/geocaching/subscribe/index.php on line 83
Unable to declare function: gca_get_CCBill_Connection() {SERVER_ERROR 120:MEMALLOC:NO_RESOURCES_AVAILABLE}
In any case, please register my interest in the half-price offer, and let me know when I can pay. Another question...
You can defer the first year fees by hiding or finding 12 Geocaching Australia caches in that year. That's only $2.00 per cache!!
2. How does this work if I pay up and THEN create or find 12 GCA caches this year?
Last edited by Mr Emu on 01 April 07 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingnut

Post by wingnut » 01 April 07 1:43 am

I loged on and was surprised at the subscription....... But then i thought what a good idea... and if i quit my job i could find caches full time and make money :-)... you pay me after 12 caches right ........ :lol:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 April 07 3:51 am

Mr. Emu: you need to have your bank's webpage open and logged into Internet banking when you click on the payment link, as it's looking for the bank cookie and most banks now don't have permanent cookies to help prevent phishing attacks.

I thought it was interesting that you don't need to be logged on to buy a membership, you just get an authorisation code to enter once you are logged on. (I assume it's to stop getting information from the payment site mixed up with the GCA info (or something; I'm a hardware guy not a programmer!))

So I bought the first 50 memberships!

I'm not greedy, you can buy an upgrade code from me for $30, which is still a pretty good deal, but it means I get my membership paid for. Welcome to the free and open marketplace!
My Paypal account is PBL@bearleft.com.au

I'm glad that we won't have to be relying on Ideology's generosity any more, since GCA was never 'free', just 'paid for by someone else'!

McPhan
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 01 April 07 6:12 am

There must have been plenty of forward planning for this. I just tried to overcome Mr Emu's problem by paying directly from my bank site. Sitting bold as brass under Newest Payees in the B-pay section is the GCA logo.

I worked in a bank for 26 years and know how long it takes to be approved for this feature.

Unbelievable!!!!!

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 April 07 8:49 am

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 658562 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 48 bytes) in /home/geocaching/subscribe/index.php on line 85
Unable to declare function: gca_get_CCBill_Connection() {SERVER_ERROR 120:MEMALLOC:NO_RESOURCES_AVAILABLE}

I also get this message.
Will this link be fixed?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 01 April 07 8:59 am

Bear_Left wrote:So I bought the first 50 memberships!
Wish I was that quick on my feet.....

Mr Emu

Post by Mr Emu » 01 April 07 9:06 am

Bear_Left:

You win. Your Kung Fu is much stronger than mine!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nice one.
Last edited by Mr Emu on 01 April 07 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 01 April 07 9:10 am

I guess with the impending fees for hiding caches on GC, Bear_Left is looking to set up a few, with his ill-gotten gains.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 April 07 9:15 am

{I believe you have taken advantage of a flaw in the "Subscriptions" process, and this is not in the spirit of encouraging users to register.

Pretty lame IMHO, considering the profit you will make if you re-sell all of them.

Personally, I'm re-considering subscribing at all at this stage.}

I agree, but people like this only stand to gain if others play along with him. Don't deal with scalpers!!!!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 April 07 9:27 am

tronador wrote:Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 658562 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 48 bytes) in /home/geocaching/subscribe/index.php on line 85

I also get this message.
Will this link be fixed?
It appears we are running out of allowed shared memory and/or resources (STILL). Also the link to the Credit Card vendor is down for some reason unrelated to our site (we've logged a support call).

The whole idea of the subscription model is to fund a separate server for GCA/OG.NET instead of hogging the resources ideology's server (which runs more than one website). Unfortunately that means real money for us and we've had to go down this path.

Sorry we've had to do this, but the reality is that we need a substantial amount of funds to set up the server in a co-lo (server cost/rent/support fees) and we can see no alternate method of raising the money.

A formal announcement was meant to be made later this week, but it looks like someone :x updated the code base for the GCA site prematurely.

There are still 41 1/2 price memberships still available as of 8:30am

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 01 April 07 9:50 am

I'm In :lol: But I won't have the money for a couple of weeks so unfortunately Ill have to pay full price. :oops: :lol:

sog n paulus
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by sog n paulus » 01 April 07 10:13 am

8)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 01 April 07 10:54 am

:lol:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 01 April 07 11:04 am

Not as good a result as last year, quick someone cry wolf!

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 01 April 07 11:08 am

interesting this came out on this day :wink: