45%
no
55%

Total votes: 33

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 08 October 06 9:38 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Doubt that he can.

He hasn't vigorously defended his trade mark against anyone else using it, so in effect he's lost it.
I was just pointing out that he has the term "Geocaching" registered as a trademark, which not a lot of people know - you didn't by the looks of it :?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 October 06 10:39 pm

Horus wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Doubt that he can.

He hasn't vigorously defended his trade mark against anyone else using it, so in effect he's lost it.
I was just pointing out that he has the term "Geocaching" registered as a trademark, which not a lot of people know - you didn't by the looks of it :?
I'll concede that. Does the same trademark application apply to Australia I wonder?

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 08 October 06 10:55 pm

caughtatwork wrote: I'll concede that. Does the same trademark application apply to Australia I wonder?
Don't know how it works - but I'm sure we all remember the great Ugg Boot battle of 2005. A bloodbath for a while, but the Aussie Ugg Boot makers won out in the end.

I've just tried to find some information about International Trademarks, there is a lot of reading, it's late, I'm off to bed - goodnight :shock:

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 October 06 11:08 pm

Ahhh, to have daylight savings already...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 October 06 11:10 pm

Horus wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: I'll concede that. Does the same trademark application apply to Australia I wonder?
Don't know how it works - but I'm sure we all remember the great Ugg Boot battle of 2005. A bloodbath for a while, but the Aussie Ugg Boot makers won out in the end.

I've just tried to find some information about International Trademarks, there is a lot of reading, it's late, I'm off to bed - goodnight :shock:
That's partly because the US guys who trademarked it then vigorously defended it and came a cropper because Ug (Ugh and Ugg) were in the general lexicon prior to their registration.

The US and Australia are part of the Madrid Protocol so I think that it means that the trademark automatically extends to all member countries.

The more I read, the more I think that Groundspeak actually own the trademarked term geocaching.

However I am not an IP Lawyer and I'm sure we could change the name in a flash if we needed to.

Cached

Post by Cached » 08 October 06 11:29 pm

I think the Free Trade Agreement between us and the US comes into play here somewhere as well - I know it effects copyright.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 10 October 06 6:11 pm

from the other forum in 2002

quote:Originally posted by imeagle:
FYI:
I just searched the US Patent and Trademark database and found that Geocaching is a registered Trademark,Service Mark belonging to Grounded Inc.

What part of don't worry about it confuses you? We're not pursuing the trademark, so use it at will. We registered it so no one else had the opportunity to claim it. Call off the dogs.

Jeremy Irish
Groundspeak - The Language of Location

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 October 06 11:04 pm

Mix wrote:from the other forum in 2002

quote:Originally posted by imeagle:
FYI:
I just searched the US Patent and Trademark database and found that Geocaching is a registered Trademark,Service Mark belonging to Grounded Inc.

What part of don't worry about it confuses you? We're not pursuing the trademark, so use it at will. We registered it so no one else had the opportunity to claim it. Call off the dogs.

Jeremy Irish
Groundspeak - The Language of Location
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=11&

W00T!