Crongratulations to anyone who has ever found a geocache!

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

can we have a new "pat on the back" section?

Yes , and well done for suggesting it!
23%
Yes, and congratulations!
12%
No!, WTH are you talking about!
12%
No, I need public affirmation and adulation
15%
You're a looser Pesky! - Get A life.
38%

Total votes: 26

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 October 06 9:05 am

Most states now have 1 thread for congrats, which is fine by me.

Queensland on the other hand............ :roll:

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 04 October 06 9:27 am

I vote "You're a loser Pesky! - Get A dictionary".<br>
<br>
I understand your sentiments though - no-one ever posts congrats for my milestones either. :P

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 04 October 06 9:28 am

Thanks Pesky.

And to the IT Gurus - can we please have some method of selecting which forum sections we would like to view messages from.

As an example, As a Victorian I only have a passing interest in any of the other state forums - except when I am about to visit that state.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 04 October 06 10:03 am

I didn't vote, as I don't see the need for a new section, but I do agree that it's gotten a bit out of hand. Having a single congratulations thread per state seems like a good solution. 8)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 October 06 10:43 am

ian-and-penny wrote:Thanks Pesky.

And to the IT Gurus - can we please have some method of selecting which forum sections we would like to view messages from.

As an example, As a Victorian I only have a passing interest in any of the other state forums - except when I am about to visit that state.
The forum software is "out-of-the-box" so we are reluctant to make custom changes as that makes future upgrades almost impossible to deal with. SO, regrettably, can't help you there.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 04 October 06 10:51 am

ian-and-penny wrote:And to the IT Gurus - can we please have some method of selecting which forum sections we would like to view messages from.
Firefox + Greasemonkey and make it look how you want.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 04 October 06 1:33 pm

Pesky! wrote: has anyone actually tried this with this forum? there are a lot af scripts there,but nothing i can see that does vaguely what we're looking for.
I haven't tried it... I'll try it when I get to my home computer though. You should be able to re-order the forums on the front page to have the ones you're interested in up the top, or even to remove some of the forums from the list altogether.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 04 October 06 2:00 pm

I always check the forums via "latest posts" and I must admit, it makes it a lot easier with the states who put all their congrats in the same thread.

The Tasmanians do it well, as do the Victorians. Here in SA nobody seems to congratulate anybody unless its a 1000, so we don't have a problem. WA don't do it much either. The Queenslanders could benefit from a single thread approach and I think we'd all be happy!

But, that being said, its their state and they can do what they want.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 04 October 06 5:49 pm

As the de facto owner of the Victorian congratulations thread, I started it so we could recognise early milestones (what obsessed cachers would see as a couple of days of casual caching :D ).

I update it once a month covering any Victorian who breaks 100, 200, 300 or 400 in the previous month. I expect that milestones of 500, 1000, 2000 etc are likely to have their own thread.

When we all started out the thought of finding 100 caches seemed a lofty goal (well it did to me) and I would like to think we can still celebrate those recent adopters of our sport/hobby/pastime/obsession who achieve these milestones. For some people numbers are not important, and certainly I hope for all cachers the smilie is not the primary reason to find a cache, but for most I know achieving a milestone is a point of satisfaction. A pat on the back from the community should be encouraged.

One thread per state for the "mundane" milestones seems a good balance to me.

My 2c worth, Ohhh another 13 posts and I'll achieve my 100 posts milestone! Do I get a congratulations thread for that? :? :lol: 8)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 October 06 6:48 pm

team unicycle wrote:I vote "You're a loser Pesky! - Get A dictionary".<br>
<br>
I understand your sentiments though - no-one ever posts congrats for my milestones either. :P
Us neither! & voted the same,hehe

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 04 October 06 7:02 pm

Hey Pesky. I voted that you're a looser. I'm one too. I've only got 494 caches under my belt. :twisted: Don't worry, I'll give you a big YAY when you get to 500.<P>

I may be able to get to 500 by the end of November - Haven't really got the time to do much caching at the moment.<P>

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 04 October 06 8:21 pm

Hey Pesky.......we just beat you. Nobody said anything to us. Let me give you a big
HUG
in anticipation of your 500th. :D