Cache Attributes for GCA caches [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Do you think GCA caches should have attributes?

Poll ended at 03 August 06 10:18 pm

Yes
29%
No
19%
Don't care
52%

Total votes: 31

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Cache Attributes for GCA caches [closed]

Post by CraigRat » 27 July 06 10:18 pm

Do you use cache attributes on other cache listing sites?

Do you find them useful?

Do you want them on GCA caches?

Vote in this poll and leave you comments so we can determine if we should be tagging Geocaching Australia caches with attributes or not!
Last edited by CraigRat on 07 August 06 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 27 July 06 10:52 pm

Do you use cache attributes on other cache listing sites?
Yes but only because they are there and available to use
Do you find them useful?
It means i can indicate the cache isn't recommended for kids or has some cliffs nearby without having to mention it in the description, why do i use them? just so no one can have a cry about how the cache was located near a cliff or such
Do you want them on GCA caches?
I don't care, i don't think we need them and would only think about them if there was nothing left to do on the site, in that case I'd put it right at the bottom of the Wiki development list. :D

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 July 06 12:22 am

I did use attributes on some of my caches before gc.com introduced them so I suppose I would say yes. I'd also say it's a low priority on the dev list though.

I actually prefer The Selector to gc.com's attributes simply for the reason you can edit the descriptive text.

The cache listing on gca does something funky with the layout though. http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0235
Last edited by Damo. on 28 July 06 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 28 July 06 1:02 am

I rearly look at the attributes and don't put them on my caches all the time.

Wouldn't bother me if they were on CGA but it would if they were required.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 July 06 2:07 am

If listing on the other site I put the attributes on because I can. But in reality anything anybody needs to know will be in the text. If you need a 4WD, I will say so (or how far you have to walk otherwise). If the hours were restricted then I would mention that, not that I have placed any like that and so on.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 28 July 06 10:46 am

I use them on the other site because they are there, however they worry me a bit as I think some cachers are putting information into the attributes and therefor not putting some essential information into the cache listing. If GSAK and CacheMate picked up on the attributes, maybe they'd be more interesting. But anything that is essential to know about a cache that doesn't come across to my PDA isn't very useful most of the time.<P>But if saying yes would mean you'll stay off the street and out of trouble, maybe AndiRat would want me to change my vote to 'yes-indeeddy'? :shock:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 28 July 06 10:53 am

Snuva wrote:But if saying yes would mean you'll stay off the street and out of trouble, maybe AndiRat would want me to change my vote to 'yes-indeeddy'? :shock:
I think she'd rather I wasn't on the computer................. :lol:

Snuva
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 28 July 06 11:08 am

CraigRat wrote: I think she'd rather I wasn't on the computer................. :lol:
I'll change my vote to 'No' then, or distract her with a butter chicken.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 July 06 8:40 pm

Snuva wrote:I use them on the other site because they are there, however they worry me a bit as I think some cachers are putting information into the attributes and therefor not putting some essential information into the cache listing. If GSAK and CacheMate picked up on the attributes, maybe they'd be more interesting. But anything that is essential to know about a cache that doesn't come across to my PDA isn't very useful most of the time.<P>But if saying yes would mean you'll stay off the street and out of trouble, maybe AndiRat would want me to change my vote to 'yes-indeeddy'? :shock:
I doubt that attributes would be mandated and you wouldn't get a silly box saying you haven't added attributes either (maybe).

I think a clever implementation would satsify the paperless requirement.

For a GPX download, the attributes could be turned into text and then added to the bottom of the cache description.

Would be much more useful than an icon on a webpage.

Personally I don't use attributes (and voted as such), but the masses should speak up.

It's YOUR site (metaphorically speaking), so speak up and the developer will listen to all points of view and make or not make change as desired.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 29 July 06 4:01 am

It could potentially pretty up the cache page, and make it look more professional. A novice GCA cache page (no graphics or use of HTML) looks fairly ordinary. So yes, but low priority (and the scales tipped to "don't care").

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 29 July 06 6:46 am

No, why? What's the point with cluttering up the page with info that I don't look at anyway.....

Next people will be asking for "off-spring" waypoints to be supplied as well.

I managed to cache just fine back in the beginning without any of those "nice little extras" like attributes and child waypoints. The gc.com site is dumbing down to the most common denominator, the average yank user. Do people want this site to mirror it in total now?

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 29 July 06 7:59 am

Snuva wrote: If GSAK and CacheMate picked up on the attributes, maybe they'd be more interesting.
I'm with you Snuva!

They are such pretty little icons sitting in the top corner of the cache page. :P Personally we don't look at them when planing caches because we do that on the laptop in GSAK in front of the TV, but we add them to our pages because they are there and because some cachers do use them. I've tried the selector attributes for one of our GCA caches and it does the job.

I'm a bit 'so what' about attributes.

1st lady

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 29 July 06 9:37 pm

I voted yes but that is to say that they should be available if the cache owner wishes to use them.

Cachers nore the site should demand them.
zactyl wrote:It could potentially pretty up the cache page, and make it look more professional. A novice GCA cache page (no graphics or use of HTML) looks fairly ordinary. So yes, but low priority (and the scales tipped to "don't care").
Lets keep any of this stuff as low band width as practical. Some sites these days I just close the window and give up on there so embeded with....who knows what :evil: :evil: .

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 07 August 06 11:26 pm

It's now been pushed down the development list due to popular un-demand
(one less thing to code for now, woo hoo!)

Thanks for the great feedback!