mobile.geocaching.com.au

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

mobile.geocaching.com.au

Post by GIN51E » 29 June 06 9:42 pm

Well i find this to be a fantastic service where on a tough cache i can quickly pull my non high tech phone out of my pocket and have a look through a few of the last logs using a site that isn't fancy and my phone can handle.

But..... Is it possible to set it up so we can at least make a note on a cache using this site? and enter new coords for a movable?

I know if its possible it wont be ready by this weekend but i can use it as an example,

This weekend i will be heading down to Hobart, 'hint' and would like to place my Holiday cache down there which would only be available for a day but the problem is i don't have access to a computer to provide the new coords and will have the same problem when i head up to the gold coast later this year 'hint again' so i don't know if this would be a worthwild feature to look into for the future.

i know GC.com has a phone logging system set up, which my phone can't handle.

It is also handy sometimes to leave a message for a cacher about the condition of his/her's cache but if you wont be near a computer for a few days than that can be a hard task, it would be handy if you could using the mobile site be able to send a PM to a cacher. although i understand this may be difficult or impossible to do.

these are just a couple of ideas i had although as i am not up with coding etc i fully understand if this is not possible or not a reasonable task to undertake.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 02 September 07 10:09 am

On the search results screen it's giving an error message:

Warning: is_finite() expects parameter 1 to be double, string given in /home/geocaching/svn/mobile/docroot/search/index.php on line 47

Still returns a search result though.

Very handy site!
For those that don't know about it, http://mobile.geocaching.com.au
Lean and fast for mobile phones with web access.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 September 07 9:52 pm

I know of the bug and it's been fixed for the next release.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 02 April 08 11:46 pm

ideology, in another thread, wrote:if there's anything we can do on mobile.geocaching.com.au to make it easier to navigate with these phones, please let us know.
Being able to log a find/note/dnf would be great, with clickable links to the relevant wap.geocaching.com page for those caches not listed here.
Finding a cache listing on wap.geocaching.com requires the GCXXXX code, coordinates or postcode, so mobile.geocaching.com.au is far superior in that regard :)
A link to a basic cache edit page would be handy too, for those on the go cache maintenance updates :D

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 03 April 08 1:09 am

zactyl wrote: Being able to log a find/note/dnf would be great, with clickable links to the relevant wap.geocaching.com page for those caches not listed here.
+1

Similiar to what's available on a cache page here where clicking the link takes the browser to the other site. (though it is still annoying having to log in every time on Wap.GC :roll: )

I must agree that the GCA setup has a better structure and feel to it than the GC one (not that it's a competition).

Thanks for the program...Image

mm

Craig

Post by Craig » 03 April 08 12:01 pm

I've been using this feature a bit too, quite handy for looking through previous logs on tough caches.

Is it possible to have the images hidden by default? Being with Telstra I get charged a metric ****load for data, and it would be great to only recieve a few kb of html rather than load a couple of hundred kb of unnecessary pictures.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 03 April 08 12:32 pm

You can disable image loading on your phone (or at least I can on mine) but it's a good point, I have some listings with photos in them that certainly aren't needed to find the cache.

On the mobile.gca cache listing, the state is a hotlink to display a list of other caches in that state, sorted by age. Not so useful in this instance. The "Nearby Caches" link at the bottom is great though!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 08 12:34 pm

mobile.geocaching.com.au doesn't serve any images from the GCA website.

If a cache or log has an image in it (including any emoticons), it gets served as that's the content to be presented.

Not much we can do there. Maybe you could turn off image browsing on your phone browser?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 08 12:37 pm

zactyl wrote:
ideology, in another thread, wrote:if there's anything we can do on mobile.geocaching.com.au to make it easier to navigate with these phones, please let us know.
Being able to log a find/note/dnf would be great, with clickable links to the relevant wap.geocaching.com page for those caches not listed here.
Finding a cache listing on wap.geocaching.com requires the GCXXXX code, coordinates or postcode, so mobile.geocaching.com.au is far superior in that regard :)
A link to a basic cache edit page would be handy too, for those on the go cache maintenance updates :D
Trouble is that I can't emulate what your phone does so I can't test it :-( So if we created a log capability it might be touch and go. At the moment we are not in auto-publish mode for any code changes to the mobile site, so any errors would be around for a while.

We are moving to auto-publish for the mobile site, so if you can bear with us a little longer, we might be able to make some changes and then if they don't work on particular browsers on mobiles we can make quicker fixes.

Clickable links should be easy enough. I'll have a look tonight. Again, not auto-publish so might be a while before it comes through.

Craig

Post by Craig » 03 April 08 7:50 pm

Thanks guys, never realised I could turn off images in my browser! This should cause a substantial downturn in Telstra's profits :twisted:

I just discovered the select by State option on the main page, now I'll never miss a newly published cache again. My mobile caching toolkit is now complete :D

Thanks caughtatwork!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 08 8:48 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Clickable links should be easy enough. I'll have a look tonight. Again, not auto-publish so might be a while before it comes through.
Well, I opened my mouth a little too early. Clickable links to wap.geocaching.com are a lot harder that I initially thought. GC uses the .NET framework for its site, so most submissions are controlled via javascript and forms, even though they look like normal anchor tags.

http://wap.geocaching.com/
Using your normal browser, hover over the links. See in the status bar the javascript:___DoPostBack (blah blah blah)? That's not a normal anchor tag, that's a .NET form submission.

So, anyway, if you continue to View Cache, enter a waypoint, you get a URL constructed like this:
http://wap.geocaching.com/Default.aspx?__ufps=520139
ufps = UniqueFilePathSuffix
This property returns a unique suffix that is appended to the file path for caching browsers. The default value is __ufps= and a 6-digit number.
In other words, I can't construct a URL for wap.geocaching.com based on the waypoint as the .NET framework at GC is getting in the way.

.NET is evil (IMHO), for this and various other reasons by where the process is offloaded to YOUR machine to execute instead of the server. Evil.

Anyway, if someone can work out a way we can get a waypoint as part of the URL, let me know, otherwise a clicky link to the wap site is not on the cards :-(

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 03 April 08 11:31 pm

Craig wrote:I just discovered the select by State option on the main page, now I'll never miss a newly published cache again.
Disregard my previous "not so useful" comment about the link to the state lists, it's handy after all! :D
caughtatwork wrote:Anyway, if someone can work out a way we can get a waypoint as part of the URL, let me know, otherwise a clicky link to the wap site is not on the cards :-(
Well boo. :cry: How about a link to wap.g.c under the waypoint code then? That way the code can be written down or memorised (or copied for those who have a windows phone), then it's just click a couple of links (plus log into the wap site) and input the code to get to the right page.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 18 April 08 1:37 pm

I'd like to request that the search button appears below the text field on the front page (i.e. insert a </br> between the two).

It makes it easier to navigate to using a phone's web browser.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 April 08 1:54 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:I'd like to request that the search button appears below the text field on the front page (i.e. insert a </br> between the two).

It makes it easier to navigate to using a phone's web browser.
This has been accommodated, but is waiting a push to production.
We need a better way to push this sub-site into production which we don't have at the moment.

I know I keep say please bear with us, but please bear with us. We will get there.

ideology

Post by ideology » 18 April 08 3:10 pm

sorry, it's our fault - we're working on automating it but keep getting waylaid with other issues... stay tuned