GCA listings a code of conduct for placement?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

Would a code of conduct make a difference to GCA caches?

Yes
64%
No
24%
No idea
12%

Total votes: 59

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 10:51 pm

Grank wrote: So the state of play has deteriorated there to a level where some are seeking alternatives. Where people respect others "possessions" (ie Geocoins don't get snaffled) and caches of quality exist.
I reckon things are heading that way here as well ... TBs get snaffled ... I am sure geocoins will as well. Just the way people are sadly.
Grank wrote:Now as the person concerned was GC based it would appear that rules/guidelines are not the answer. The manner in which people choose to participate is what will determine the level of enjoyment others will get out of play.
That is my take. We have guidelines/rules that say move on the bug or geocoin as one example. Does not stop people stealing them.
Grank wrote:If there is no introductory brief upon entering play people with the best intentions will go awry.
I like the idea of an "introductory brief" or set of pointers for new folks in particular as to what is consider good form rather than a set of guidelines which quickly become rules or is that the same thing :?:

One thing that I would like to see somewhere, maybe as a sticker in the state forums is any regulations that need to be complied with, e.g., no caches in caves on CALM managed land; no physical caches in Bold Park etc. I guess each state has its own particular set of land management regulations. Being able to point folks to these would be helpful. I know TLC has some info on their site in respect of WA , but it can be hard to find if not bookmarked. Maybe we can put this in the forums for each state?

Regards
Andrew

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 02 February 06 11:15 pm

why not set this up in the wiki?

I might look at it after my exams finish on monday.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 06 9:36 am

Now we're talkin' :)

A wild idea just occurred to me. A "problem tracking system" could be used to deal with issues in a very systematic way that doesn't lean on rules and allows for discussion. Such systems are usually used to report, track and fix bugs in software, but it could work for reporting problems with caches to the owner. This could be anything from "needs maintenance", to "dodgy location", to "got me arrested", and it gets assigned to the cache owner to resolve, defer, ignore, discuss...

I doubt we'd ever go with such a thing, but since we're brainstorming, I thought I'd put it out there.

- Rog

Suitman
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Suitman » 03 February 06 10:58 am

GIN51E wrote:i know in my work its common to do a few check lists after a job,

ticking off each section to say it has been done.

maybe when you click on 'Hide a Cache' it first comes up with a page with a few short questions, nothing long as no body will read it.

but just a few simple items like ....
<br>
That makes a lot of sense! You've got my vote!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 February 06 11:08 am

Mind Socket wrote:Now we're talkin' :)

A wild idea just occurred to me. A "problem tracking system" could be used to deal with issues in a very systematic way that doesn't lean on rules and allows for discussion. Such systems are usually used to report, track and fix bugs in software, but it could work for reporting problems with caches to the owner. This could be anything from "needs maintenance", to "dodgy location", to "got me arrested", and it gets assigned to the cache owner to resolve, defer, ignore, discuss...

I doubt we'd ever go with such a thing, but since we're brainstorming, I thought I'd put it out there.

- Rog
....and if it kept PMing the owner until he/she took notice :twisted:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 06 11:17 am

riblit wrote:
Mind Socket wrote:Now we're talkin' :)

- Rog
....and if it kept PMing the owner until he/she took notice :twisted:
... or it stopped any more listing or logging until the problem was fixed (or said it was fixed).

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 03 February 06 11:48 am

Suitman wrote:
GIN51E wrote:i know in my work its common to do a few check lists after a job,

ticking off each section to say it has been done.

maybe when you click on 'Hide a Cache' it first comes up with a page with a few short questions, nothing long as no body will read it.

but just a few simple items like ....
<br>
That makes a lot of sense! You've got my vote!
<p>Sounds like rulez to me ... whose gonna write 'em :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 06 11:50 am

More to the point, who will read them?

A simple tick in each box (regardless of whether they have been read or adhered to) and bingo, cache listing.

Worthless.

Probably less than worthless as they make you do something for no reason.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 February 06 12:03 pm

It's a nice idea, but given people's resistance to rules and red tape (mine included), I think the retrospective feedback approach is what will work best, in combination with good education and promoting common sense (since, despite the wording, it's not all that common sometimes).

- Rog

Grank

Post by Grank » 03 February 06 12:38 pm

Quote “what you all saidÂâ€

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 February 06 12:57 pm

caughtatwork wrote:More to the point, who will read them?

A simple tick in each box (regardless of whether they have been read or adhered to) and bingo, cache listing.

Worthless.

Like the two boxes on the bottom of a gc.com listing page. I am convinced people tick those without reading the linked pages.

Grank brings up a good point. There are rules and guidelines that we abide by without second thought, but then they aren't presented under the heading of rules or guidelines.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 03 February 06 6:35 pm

caughtatwork wrote:More to the point, who will read them?

Worthless.

the idea isn't as a rule but as a reminder, a check list that you have thought about every aspect of the cache and location

to make sure you have thought of everything before you list the cache, i know i've listed a cache and thought "shit is there another cache named this?" and by having it a no/yes answer you have to read it somewhat before you can click the correct box

the idea is when a new cacher jumps on to list a cache he has just hidden that he thinks about everything in regards to placement.

it sounds like a few people are scared of rules but this is in no way a rule, its just a way of making sure you have thought about everything.

it was just an idea i had which i mentioned trying to give some helpful ideas to the topic.

if so many people are scared of/hate rules then it doesn't matter what is done about this topic, weather its a rating system or a simple page in the wiki explaining what makes a good cache hide these poeple will take it as being a rule. even to say a cacher should use common sense when placing a cache hide is still a 'rule'

Cached

Post by Cached » 03 February 06 7:10 pm

I am convinced people tick those without reading the linked pages.
I'd almost be surprised if people DO read them. If they were short and to the point, with detailed explanations available on another page if required, people might look at them regularly.

But they are so long, they might as well be a contract - and very few people will pay them any notice after the first time they read them.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 06 7:17 pm

Cached wrote:
I am convinced people tick those without reading the linked pages.
I'd almost be surprised if people DO read them. If they were short and to the point, with detailed explanations available on another page if required, people might look at them regularly.

But they are so long, they might as well be a contract - and very few people will pay them any notice after the first time they read them.
Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache.

But I do understand them. I just choose not to adhere to them. The statement / question is misleading.

It should include something to the effect that I have followed / adhered to them :mrgreen:

Not that that would actually help :roll: