Cache logging problem

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 October 05 10:03 am

Prunes wrote:Hello, Im some random noob who wants to post a cache :P c'mon guys surely you can just chuck a field in the profile page or somthing for us to put it is, save some of this stuffing about, I know I want to post my new cache ASAP before I forget what I was going to type about it.
It's done Prunes. Sorry for the delay I had to work outside the office yesterday and couldn't monitor the requests.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 October 05 10:05 am

ideology wrote:yes it is too complicated
what if we just defaulted the caching name to the forum name and leave it at that. the main issue is security, ie that someone could create an account with the name of another cacher and hop in an delete all their logs, but at least now that the log import wizard is working, we could pretty easily resurrect their logs.
your thoughts?
I thought we had agreed on doing that a while ago

Prunes

Post by Prunes » 28 October 05 1:52 pm

Thanks riblit, defauting is a bit limited people will still have to request to change it, can't you just put it as a field in the profile, it doesnt give out restricted information from the GC.com site does it

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 October 05 6:58 pm

Prunes wrote:Thanks riblit, defauting is a bit limited people will still have to request to change it, can't you just put it as a field in the profile, it doesnt give out restricted information from the GC.com site does it
It knows nothing of the gc.com site, hence the manual interventation.

Most cachers use the same name on both sites so the default will work in most cases, it will only need to be changed for those who like to be known by two names. The reason the gc.com cache name is required is that it is the only way of linking a cacher to the hides and finds on gc.com and people seem to get obsessed by stats. For the sake of consistancy the same name is used for hides and finds on both sites.

The Geocaching.com user number used to be used as the link, however the changes in gc.com have made that number more difficult to locate.

The reason the site registration is through the forums is simply that they were here first.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 04 November 05 9:37 am

My GC.com caching name is the same as that used here in the forum.

Should I have to register to log a GCA cache?

I go to the "my" page and it says I need to log in...

I try to log in using the same user name / pass word as the forum and it says I'm "not on file"
OK so this time I tryed it again - same thing.

:idea: OK lets just create a new account if thats what it takes :roll:

I get directed to the same page I used to register for the GCA forum. Am I going to stuff things up if I register for the GCA website on a page of the GCA forum :? :?:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 06 November 05 2:22 pm

Geof wrote:
My GC.com caching name is the same as that used here in the forum.

Should I have to register to log a GCA cache?

I go to the "my" page and it says I need to log in...

I try to log in using the same user name / pass word as the forum and it says I'm "not on file"
OK so this time I tryed it again - same thing.

:idea: OK lets just create a new account if thats what it takes :roll:

I get directed to the same page I used to register for the GCA forum. Am I going to stuff things up if I register for the GCA website on a page of the GCA forum :? :?:

It's a common database, the same registration works for both places.
In a nutshell, no.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 12 November 05 11:02 pm

My turn. Found both Harry's Cache de Wheels and A Trip to the Loo on 11/11/05. Trip to the Loo came across but Harry didn't. Even tried to edit the log to see if this would help. No. Have made posts since then that have come across. What next? Do I delete Harry's and try again? Happy to do this if it saves time at your end.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 14 November 05 8:44 am

It seems to have fixed itself after the edit. Took 48 hrs though. Must have just been impatient. Scrub my whinge off the list. :mrgreen:

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

confusion

Post by Fairly Magic » 15 November 05 8:12 am

HI

As one who has two names I am confused. We joined GC because that was the first we found. Then at the cache event we found out about GCA and here we are.

Now when I joined GCA there was mention of joining as both a Team cacher (Fairly Magic) but that for discussion in the Forums you could post as an individual cacher (Quilter). So I tried to do that, and the two are linked, but it is a messy link.

As we cache as a family, all our finds I try to log as Fairly Magic. Which has worked so far as all our finds have been on the GC site (despite failed attempts at Catch the Cache :) ). I would like Fairly Magic to be the only account name. Quilter is my personal caching name, so I would like to keep that to avoid name confusion should someone else come along, but I don't want to log finds using it.

Not all our logs come across from GC. EG Save our Bacon is missing. And I can't import the log as Fairly Magic doesn't get an import link, only Quilter does. And if you click on the Quilter link to go back to GC it takes you to someone other than me, because that cacher name was already nabbed when I joined GC.

Is any one else confused yet? I would like to sort this, as other team members have a couple of caches ready to place and we want to put them on GCA.

ideology

Post by ideology » 15 November 05 8:53 am

yes, this is the problem with trying to sync two sites' usernames...

if you want Fairly Magic to be your only account name, then it sounds like all that we need to do is change your caching name from Quilter to Fairly Magic.

would that suit you?

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 15 November 05 9:17 am

yes please.

I have just been and looked at the wiki also. It talks there about having two names, but doesn't say you can't choose a name that is already 'taken' on GC. So if this is going to be an issue then perhaps it should be mentioned there?

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 04 December 05 2:59 pm

ideology wrote:yes, this is the problem with trying to sync two sites' usernames...

if you want Fairly Magic to be your only account name, then it sounds like all that we need to do is change your caching name from Quilter to Fairly Magic.

would that suit you?
Can this be done please, would like the GCA logs to show up as our team name. Thanks

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 December 05 6:13 pm

sorry, we missed your previous reply
we've changed your cacher name as requested

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 05 December 05 7:54 am

thankyou. One more request, can you change the log for Tas Great Christmas event to read Fairly Magic please?