Stats Graphs

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 October 05 12:48 am

A new graph:

On the state pages there is now a graph that lists the top 50 cachers by finds on a single day. No real purpose, just thought it would be interesting.

Also, I now 'fudge' the state for any cacher who doesn't have their state listed in their profile at GCA.
ie. If you have a state in your profile I use that as gospel. If you do NOT have a state listed then I count the number of caches you have found in each state and use the highest numbered state as your home state. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

Enjoy.
http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/index.php

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 October 05 1:05 pm

Impressive stuff!!!

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 19 October 05 7:33 pm

caughtatwork, do you mind if we use some of these graphs on our gc.com profile page?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 05 8:10 pm

The Garner Family wrote:caughtatwork, do you mind if we use some of these graphs on our gc.com profile page?
Everything looks fine from my end, so you should be fine to do that. It's unlikely that the named files will change (I'm relatively happy with the names, even though they are very long, they are descriptive).

There's a new graph too by the way (only just finished coding it).

Top 50 Caches by Ratio of DNF (>5) to Finds (>5) "The Tricky Ones"
What this one does is find all the caches (by state or all) that have more than 5 found logs AND more than 5 DNF logs. It then works out the % or ratio of DNF to finds.
ie. If a cache has 10 finds and 5 DNF then the total numer of 'logs' is 15. The % of DNF against that total would be 33.33%
That is 33% of the attempts were DNF therefore 66% of the attempts were finds.
This is an attempt to show the trickier caches. It's not perfect, but from what I know of the Victorian ones seems about right.

We* chose the number 5 and 5 to remove the caches that have had only a couple of goes at finding and also to ignore the ones where the initial co-ords may have been incorrect. 5 and 5 seemed to fit the bill for the most part.

* Facitman ran his eye across the initial data and suggested 4 and 3 but I bumped this up to 5 and 5m just because I could :D

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 19 October 05 10:19 pm

Thank you, nicely integrated into my profile page:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... 1b830b71bb

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 05 10:26 pm

<Monty Burns>Excellent</MB>

Of course the best thing is that the graph automagically updates, so no manual work for you on this one :-)

Looks like I'm not going to head the Qld leaderboard this month given the way you and HawForMor are going.

I'm coming up there on Friday to see my Brother In Law and go caching up towards Maroochydore for a couple of days. Hope to collect around 20 or so for the two days.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 19 October 05 11:07 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I'm coming up there on Friday to see my Brother In Law and go caching up towards Maroochydore for a couple of days. Hope to collect around 20 or so for the two days.
At least you'll be able to say you contributed to Queensland's biggest month of caching ever (until we beat it anyway).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 05 11:15 pm

wow :shock:

That's some serious climbing that the line has been doing over the last 4 months. I'll be very happy to make it go even higher.

If you look at the active cachers in QLD over the same period there has either been an influx of tourists or your state is going nutso like mine.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 October 05 10:03 pm

New Graph.

Well, sort of. I was somewhat bored today, so I put my evil talents to good use and have made a map of Australia showing which states a cacher has found a cache in.

NZ is not on the map yet. This may come later.

http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/

Then enter your cacher name in the first box and hit the go button.
The first image should now be a picture of Australia with the states you have found a cache in coloured blue.

You may think there is something wrong initially. Remember that if you have found a moveable cache or a locationless it will show up where that cache is located. So you may find that you have cached in more states that the one you think :-)

Enjoy.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 25 October 05 10:11 pm

cool - thanks. I visit the graphs heaps!

Any chance of getting a "most finds in one day in a given state by anyone, regardless of where they are from"?

ie. if I go to Victoria and find 79 caches in one day (as if!!) it would currently show in the South Australian highest finds list and not the Victorian. My motivation is that currently I think the highest number of finds in a day in SA is about 23, by the posspet boys (Piggys 29 day is a heap of forgot-to-logs, I believe). But that might be wrong because somebody from interstate may have done more, and would certainly have made an indent in the top 50.

Thanks C@W - this is great work!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 October 05 11:47 pm

Oh, I suppose I could do that for you :-)

Then go to the state page you want (eg SA).

It should show a new bar graph just before it gets into the cacher / state section.

Top 50 Cachers by Finds on a Single Day where Cache State is: YOURSTATE

Over there is SA tehre's quite a few Victorians who come in a do cache raids :-)

Interestingly if you check out Queensland, I'm the leader :mrgreen:

Cached

Post by Cached » 26 October 05 12:15 am

:P

Cached

Post by Cached » 26 October 05 12:20 am

I think that is the most useful of the lot!

Fantastic work @ caught!

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 26 October 05 8:56 am

Visited the graphs today to find a few new ones since my last visit. Love the map! All the graphs give a great overview of what is happening with caching in Oz. Thanks for all your efforts :D

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 26 October 05 10:53 am

These stats just get better and better. What about:

Most number of mosquito bites sorted by travel bugs by state in a day that begins with a particular letter of the alphabet... I think thats about thte only stat missing now.