and I even got the . right at the end of your name :D

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 31 August 05 12:18 am

Wow, those are great! Nicely done! :D

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 31 August 05 10:10 am

Great job c@w... we should add a link to these somewhere... like the wiki perhaps? Are they a permanent enough feature for us to do that?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 August 05 11:29 am

The idea was to make the graphs and then give them to geocaching.com.au as their permanent home.

Given Ideology are extremely busy doing other things for us I took the time to put them up on my site so we could all enjoy them, but I would still like them to reside on GCA long term.

You could put them up in the WIKI and I could always change the WIKI entry when we do migrate them over to GCA.

BTW, there is a new graph. Top 50 Finds by a Cacher in a Single Day which is the 4th graph on the entry page. Shows who the compulsive people are :shock:

The target is 56 which is still held by Rabbitto, but they nearly got pipped by Team Horizons who collected 50 at the Gold Rush Event recently. Facitman and Rhinogeo are tied 3rd and 4th.

You can also see a few teams who have more than one entry on that leaderboard showing that for some major cache grabs are a way of life :D

I say everything with a smile as while I find the data interesting, I personally wouldn't use it as a comparison of myself against anyone.

Remember this data shouldn't be used as a true comparison of abilities and talents. eg. Dak's Emu Mob are missing over 400 caches that they (he) found overseas but have never made it to the GCA database. If we had those records you might see some graphs change somewhat.

There are also some slight anomolies in the data. This means the graphs are the best they can be but do not necessarily reflect the absolute true status.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 31 August 05 3:13 pm

OK, I've added a link to this from the StatPack page in the wiki.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 August 05 3:36 pm

Excellent.
Had a few minutes at lunch today so there's a new graph.

By state and cacher:
50 most finds on a day. So you can see which days you had the most finds on and see whether that was a once only or whether that's you caching style.

If you look at the 5th graph on the entry page, you'll see that 11/6/2005 and 12/6/2005 are the biggest single caching days ever with over 700 finds. This is due in big part to the huge success of the Gold Rush event in Dubbo.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 31 August 05 7:00 pm

Just adding our well done to Caughtatwork on all the effort that has gone into this so far.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 August 05 9:18 pm

You're all welcome guys and gals (and little furry doggies). I hope you're enjoying the results.

New graph:
http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/
Top 50 Cachers by Average Finds per Day
This will appear on the first page when you enter (5th graph).

It's the number of days you have been caching / number of finds.

Number of days you have been caching is calculated as the number of days since your first find. It's the only method I have for calculating your start date. It's not perfect, but it should be close.

New people who start with a passion will end up leading the list.

eg. The Rebel Alliance (very cool name there Eric). They have been caching for 6 days (as at 31/8) and have found 19 caches. So of course they will lead the board for the time being. Over time, they are likely to fall backwards through the entries.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 31 August 05 10:04 pm

they are all fantastic, are they updated at the same rate cache finds are updated on GCA?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 August 05 10:33 pm

Unfortunately no.

At the moment they are running from my personal website using data supplied kindly by Ideology.

I update every couple of days, but I generally don't get the opportunity to do it every day.

Eventually the graphs will be incorporated into the GCA site, so we don't end up using a third database which is out of date.

I've made a change to the main page such that it will now tell you the latest log date. This will indicate to you how out of date the data is and you can manage your expectations accordingly.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 31 August 05 10:49 pm

sounds great, i can't wait until it gets linked to the GCA site.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 01 September 05 9:08 am

Had a look at this today. Great work - you must have too much time on your hands!!!! :D <P>

Another great time waster for us to look at. <P>

A suggestion - how about a column graph showing personal finds per state & Territory? I've done caches in 3 states and 1 territory with another state being planned as we type. I think Maccamob and some of the other big number finders would like this.<P>

BTW: A comparison against Maccamob certainly puts your own finds into perspective. I've found in excess of 280 caches and my line is almost horizontal compared to theirs.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 September 05 9:50 am

Good suggesting WW and it's been implemented.

Have a look at the personal graphs page. 2nd last graph now shows caches found by state.

Unknown states are probably overseas caches as are "blank" or "null" states. Don't blame me :D

Enjoy.

ideology

Post by ideology » 01 September 05 10:23 am

caw, if you like, we could put a link on the cacher page to your stats magic

there is a little section on the right called 'stats' which is currently empty
if you give us a url format, we are happy to put that on the cacher page so people can jump straight into their stats

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 September 05 12:00 pm

ATM the page is set up for POST rather than GET, so I'll have a look at it tonight.

If we do this then I will need to implement an auto stats update process. ATM it's based on when I get time. I might have to FTP it from GCA to caughtatwork on a daily basis. Hmmm. Have to think about this. Any suggestions?