Stats Graphs

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 September 05 1:25 pm

caughtatwork wrote:ATM the page is set up for POST rather than GET, so I'll have a look at it tonight.

If we do this then I will need to implement an auto stats update process. ATM it's based on when I get time. I might have to FTP it from GCA to caughtatwork on a daily basis. Hmmm. Have to think about this. Any suggestions?
EASY!

ask i! to set up caughtatwork.geocaching.com.au :wink:

Team Horizons
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Team Horizons » 01 September 05 1:27 pm

Well done, the graphs look good and convey some interesting information. Handy to see if you remebered to log your finds. :). Seems as though I missed some because we got 55 that day but only 50 showing, oh well back throught he paperwork we go.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 September 05 3:07 pm

One moe, Team Horizons, just one more and you would be sharing the glory with Rabbitto :D

The problem with keeping the stats up to date could probably be resolved by a subdomain on geocaching.com.au as long as I can get a MySQL database at the same time and get Ideology to extract the data from their DB to the MySQL graphs DB on a frequent basis. A daily cron job would probably work.

If we can do that, then I can transfer the graphs over without issues and then you wouldn't have to worry about me losing interest (oooohhhhh, shiny thing, must go ... )

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 September 05 1:19 am

Two new personal graphs:
http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/index.php

The first new graph maps the number of finds, by difficulty over time (months). It's a bubble graph so might be a bit tricky to read.

The second new graph does the same for terrain.

Basically:
The y_axis is the terrain or dificulty.
The x_axis is the month.
The size of the bubble correlates to the number of that terrain or difficulty you found in that month. So the bigger the bubble, the more finds for that corresponding terrain/difficulty and month.
Hope that makes sense.

Now you can see how ambitious (or not) you were when you first started and how many difficulty 3, 4, 5 caches you found as you matured.

You can also see whether age is getting the better of you as your terrain 4 and 5's drop off in the later months :P

Thanks to edmil for this suggestion. 'twas tricky to put together, but again, I find it quite interesting. Also highlighted a bug that's now fixed (not that you may have noticed, it was only in the formatting, not the content).

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 02 September 05 3:08 am

It says I've found one in SA! :shock:
Ah, worked it out, Traffic Control No: 3 has gone down that way! :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 September 05 11:32 pm

Two new graphs, on the first page when you enter, somewhere down the bottom.

Longest active cachers.
A graph showing the number of days since the cachers first find, provided they have found a cache in the last year. If they go a year without finding a cache the graph assumes they are not active. Basically it's a salute to our founding fathers (provided they're still playing :P )

Newest cachers.
A graph showing the number of days that the newest cachers have been playing since they found their first cache. Welcome to the game.

Also, for those hard of eyesight, or those with 19 inch monitors running 1600x1200, each graph is now clickable. This will open the graph twice the size. Makes seeing some of the smaller details or the squishy graphs somewhat easier while still allowing people with 800x600 to enjoy the scenery as well.

Enjoy.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 05 8:16 pm

Well, thanks to Ideology and Facitman, there are now two new graphs.
i! for suplpying the data.
Facitman for requesting, nay demanding, the new graphs. Hey, I'm supposed to be working at work you know :D

http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/

Oldest Unfound Caches (which can be found on the state page).
A column graph for the caches that have had no finds ... at all ... ever!
Someone go get 'em. There's a bunch of FTF's to be had. Some of them nearly 4 years old :shock: I'd let you guess who would be heading the chart in Victoria, but that would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Caches by Days Since Last Found "Feeling Unloved" (which is also on the state page)
A column graphs for those caches that are feeling unloved. It captures the length of time since they have been last found. :cry: Go make them feel loved.

Enjoy.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 05 September 05 10:37 pm

Love your work! :D

Some people were missing the graphs a couple of months ago and I think you have delivered far far more than they could have ever desired in their wildest dreams!

Graph-junkies please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 September 05 10:52 pm

New graphs (again).

Top 50 Caches by DNF.
I know that not everyone logs a DNF, but it's interesting to see the graph for those that do. Interestingly Figurehead in Melbourne is on BOTH the Top 50 Finds AND the Top 50 DNF's. No real surprise to see what tops this list.

Active Caches by State.
On the All States / Islands page. Victoria has 4 more than NSW and heads the leaderboard. I know, quality vs. quantity, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Hides by Status.
Pie chart for each state and All States / Islands.
Interestingly for Australia and NZ there are 6,911 active caches, 951 archived and 296 Temporarily Unavailable :shock:

Finds and Hides by Cache Type and Cache Container.
4 new pie charts by state, not just active, just the total that have ever been hidden. See how your personal found chart matches up against the ratio for your state. I've also added Hides by Cache Type and Cache Container to the personal pages.

Also added Difficulty and Terrain to the Oldest Unfound and "Feeling Unloved" charts. Gives an indication as to possibly why they're not being found.

I'm still waiting for the additional of the "Recommended" flag to the data and then I'll see what I can do with recommended caches.

Enjoy.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 September 05 9:38 pm

Any graph that was presenting state information has now moved to the state pages. This means you can now select your own (or any other) state to see the details just for your state.

By the way the images are between 5K and 20K. On a dialup, this should only represent between 2 and 5 seconds per graph. It takes longer than that to render some of them, so I'm hoping that the people who are on dial up aren't being inconvenienced too much. If you are a dialup user, please tell me if they are taking waaaaaaaaaaay to long (given the number of them). I'm not sure I can fix it, but I'd be willing to give it more thought.

Thanks to i! who have provided the recommended counts by cache, we now offer more. Including COLOR!

Navy = Active Cache (if applicable)
Gold = Recommended
Red = Temporary Unavailable
Black = Archived

This is explained on each chart so you don't have to keep this in your head. I hope this presents more visually pleasing graph and should help distiguish the caches from each other.

New Graphs:

Top 50 Recommended Caches by Finds (excl. Locationless)
State graph showing exactly what it says. It does not filter, so you get a complete picture including archived and temporary unavailable.

Top 50 Recommended Caches by Recommendations (excl. Locationless)
State graph showing exactly what it says. Handy if you are visiting a state, you can get an almost complete picture of the most recommended caches in that state. It does not filter, so you get a complete picture including archived and temporary unavailable. I might remove the archived and temporary unavailable. Depends on what mood I'm in later this week.

Top 50 Unavailable Caches by Days Since Last Find
State graph showing exactly what it says. Only useful from an interest point of view. After all, who would go looking for a temporary unavailable cache that hasn't been found in years? Maybe you're up for the challenge :-)
What it does show is that there are some temporary unavailable caches that have been that way for years. I suppose it might assist a reviewer in targetting 'tupperware trash'. Dunno. I just thought it was interesting.

Enjoy.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 08 September 05 10:24 pm

Great information CAW, its great to be able to look at all those stats, and know that i wasnt the only one that has had troubles with certain caches.

<P>I may have missed it, but is it possible for a graph for the top 50 cachers for each of the states?</p>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 September 05 10:36 pm

I would love to. Unfortunately geocaching.com.au doesn't know where a cachers home base is. Well, reliably, that is. I know i! have been experimenting with plotting a 'centre point' for all the caches someone has hidden, but it's not reliable.

The stats that are produced at gca are based on the number of finds for caches in that state.

eg. If I found 20 caches in Victoria and 30 in NSW. On the front page the stats would show 50 (assuming I was in the top 10). However if you went to the NSW page you would see me with 30 and if you went to the Vic page you would see me with 20.

So, regrettably I can't determine a home location for a cacher :-( and therefore can't do what we both want.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 08 September 05 10:40 pm

Meh, you get that with technology sometimes. <P>Either way keep up the great work, its great viewing material!!</P>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 September 05 10:47 pm

The only other thing I can think of is to assume that the first cache that was found by a cacher would probably be in their home state.

It's still not going to be reliable as I know that some cachers have moved since they started playing and therefore that datum would be incorrect.

Any suggestions from anyone ?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 08 September 05 11:23 pm

Nice implementation of the new data.

In the Forum under Profile there is this option:
Country/State/Island: *
This is used to put you on the correct leaderboard and daily email updates.
with a selection box. Can this not be used somehow?
As the Forum and GCA log in are one and the same now, it seems that
Unfortunately geocaching.com.au doesn't know where a cachers home base is.
is not really correct as we are giving that info already? Works for the State emails anyway!

Come to think of it, there's this as well!
Your home coordinates:
This is used to calculate distances from your caching headquarters and also plotted on maps.
So GCA should damn well know where our home base is!!! Hitlist works with it.

Not criticising, just confused! :P
Last edited by Damo. on 08 September 05 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.