Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Partic
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/partic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Partic

GCA Website Undocumented Features (Bug) List

Post by Partic » 01 August 05 12:19 pm

Just thought I'd list a few things I've spotted here, and I'm sure some other users have or have not, but i've not seen them posted so far.
<P>
I know i! is working on them extensively (some of their replies are at hours that are just beyond the call of duty), so I know they'll get around to them. Just easiest to list them somewhere so people can see them.
<P>
<b> :!: Top caches filter includes Locationless</b><BR>
I noticed over the past few days that the filter for the Top Caches includes Locationless Caches, which it didn't previously. This may be a feature change, but as Locs can get dozens more visits than standard caches, the figures easily jump them into the lead.
<P>
<B> :!: Stats History</b><BR>
Being worked on - read in other forum posts.
<P>
<B> :!: GPX Downloads</b><BR>
Being worked on - read in other forum posts.
<P>
<b> :!: Links to User Profile on Cacher pages</b><BR>
Previously on a cacher profile page, there were links at the top to take you to GCA profile, GC.com profile, and cacher's webpage if they have one. Currently these have vanished, so it's a less convenient route to contact a cacher straight from their GCA profile.
<P>
Also the footer for the cacher page has a typo :) and falls a long scroll down the page when you look at any busy cacher's page.
<P>
<P>
Aside from the above, I'm loving the new site, and look forward to these features being back up so it enhances everyone's caching experiences further soon.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 01 August 05 6:17 pm

There is a typo on the right hand side of the cacher/cache pages. It says "Frequent fiders". I assume it should read "Frequent hiders".<P>
Site looks great i!, thanks for all your work.
<P>
Mike.

ideology

Post by ideology » 02 August 05 8:33 am

thanks

that's a good idea to put things in one place! so we took your stuff and merged it with the current list and make it into a wiki page to make a reference point. (we previously tried to do it by editing a post but it became un-manageable, particularly because post editing was so slow on the old server!)

here is the Geocaching Australia Development List

we've corrected the frequent finders typo. we're not sure what typo you are referring to in the footer. can you please be more specific?

Partic
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/partic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Partic

Post by Partic » 02 August 05 3:14 pm

i!, Thanks.

The typo was just the fiders > hiders one.

Should others finding glitches and features requests that aren't on the wiki post them here?

ideology

Post by ideology » 02 August 05 3:39 pm

thanks

yes please continue to post issues that are not on the wiki

it's easiest for us for issues to be in separate posts so when we solve one we can mark it as closed, or if we can't immediately solve it, we can put it on the development list

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 August 05 7:20 pm

I was wandering around the Lizard's cacher page and clicked on 'mates', it responded<br />Swampgecko's mates<p>

Swampgecko is not a known cacher. <p> Tried the same from my page and discovered the site doesn't have an opinion on me.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 03 August 05 7:41 pm

riblit wrote:I was wandering around the Lizard's cacher page and clicked on 'mates', it responded<br />Swampgecko's mates<p>

Swampgecko is not a known cacher. <p> Tried the same from my page and discovered the site doesn't have an opinion on me.
If you do this for us (or any other cacher with more that one word names) only the first word is used. We get this:
president 's mates

president is not a known cacher.

Riblit - if you go from your cacher page (the one we see if we click on the cacher button on forum posts) you can get this:
Riblit's mates

Riblit is not a known cacher.
There is an opinion, the site just isn't telling you on your My Account page what it thinks, it's only telling us! Even computers participate in gossiping it seems :wink: .

1st lady

ideology

Post by ideology » 03 August 05 7:44 pm

thanks
we haven't converted over this code yet, so we'll take the links off the page

please remember it's easiest for us for issues to be in separate posts so when we solve one we can mark it as closed, or if we can't immediately solve it, we can put it on the development list

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 03 August 05 8:13 pm

Character/formatting issues in logs (not a huge issue, just cosmetic).
<p>
Not sure what is causing this, but as an example you can see from Snuvas log on this cache something has gone seriously wrong with the formatting. If it's happened with her log on this cache it may be happening throughout the site. The original GC logs are here for comparison.

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 04 August 05 1:23 pm

Sometime back, I changed our name from 'Wayne and Kathryn - Team Red Roo' to 'Team Red Roo'. Since then, I've noticed that while our forum (and login) name has changed, our cacher name hasn't. It appears that when we create our account, a cacher name is also saved separately, but is not changed if we change our login name. Is there a way around this? :D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 August 05 1:30 pm

Team Red Roo wrote:Sometime back, I changed our name from 'Wayne and Kathryn - Team Red Roo' to 'Team Red Roo'. Since then, I've noticed that while our forum (and login) name has changed, our cacher name hasn't. It appears that when we create our account, a cacher name is also saved separately, but is not changed if we change our login name. Is there a way around this? :D
It can be changed - in fact I have just done so. You have found caches listed under both names. I'll have to attract i!'s attention to run a manual name change on the database. If you don't see a change in your stats in a day or so, post a reminder admin message to merge the names.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 04 August 05 2:13 pm

Interesting feature - I just followed the 'Full Logs' hyperlink from the Cheesy Pigs' cacher page. This took me to http://geocaching.com.au/logs/?c=Cheesy+pigs but instead of seeing their logs I see what appears to be the most recent logs for all of Australia & NZ. Which is interesting, just not what I was looking for.

Team Red Roo

Post by Team Red Roo » 04 August 05 9:24 pm

riblit wrote:It can be changed - in fact I have just done so. You have found caches listed under both names. I'll have to attract i!'s attention to run a manual name change on the database. If you don't see a change in your stats in a day or so, post a reminder admin message to merge the names.
Thankyou Mr Riblit. :lol:

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 August 05 10:45 pm

we've updated your cacher name (without being prompted by riblit!)

suva, yes, this is broken at the moment - we'll fix it in the next couple of days

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 10 August 05 1:57 am

riblit wrote:I was wandering around the Lizard's cacher page and clicked on 'mates', it responded<br />Swampgecko's mates<p>

Fixed! Swampgecko is now a known cacher, but now it thinks he has friends. Must be a bug :twisted:

- Rog