Geocaching Australia Ideas [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

New forum features

Post by leek » 02 April 03 8:59 pm

The only feature I haven't seen in this new forum is the ability to do polls... both of the old forums have this, so this may become a barrier??? Ideology is there any way we could add this feature???

As for a files section, couldn't we set up an FTP area on the geocaching.com.au server which could be used for this purpose?

pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Post by pyrenees kid » 02 April 03 9:14 pm

Leek, you can post polls from any forum. the option is only avaliable from the 'post new topic' page.

Darryn. :)

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Polls...

Post by leek » 02 April 03 10:05 pm

Aha... that's good - I hadn't noticed that before because I'd only replied to things... you're obviously getting to grips with this new forum quickly Pyrenees Kid... Cheers....

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: Other forums..

Post by leek » 02 April 03 11:02 pm

Team Piggy wrote: The good thing about Yahoo ones though is mail is sent to the person, which opposes logging into a site to read it..
There is a setting in your profile for this forum which sends you an e-mail every time someone posts to a thread you have posted to... not quite the same, but still useful...

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 03 April 03 12:11 am

Ok its gone...happy :cry:

Team Piggy

mail

Post by Team Piggy » 03 April 03 9:22 am

Yup, had looked at that and knew about it, Yahoo still has the advantage of "proper" mail and you can attach pictures. But I certainly like these new forums..

TP.

ideology

Post by ideology » 03 April 03 12:16 pm

wow, we didn't expect this much to happen so quickly!

there are some additional modules which can be added to this forum. we will download and try to install the following ones:
  • Email notify for every post - "This is just a little hack to allow your users to be notified by email of every new post or reply. It gives them the option yes or no when they register and can be changed in their preferences."
  • Photo Album Add-on - "This is a powerful, effective, handy and highly customizable photo album/gallery management system for phpBB 2."
  • File attachment hack - "This hack will allow you to have file attachments on your phpBB 2."
fingers crossed!

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 03 April 03 1:11 pm

embi wrote:Ok its gone...happy :cry:
I was only joking embi :)

Well partially, I'm still suffering from this crapped out Telstra pair-gain line, so I'm struggling along at 9600 baud. You may have noticed I haven't visited/posted to the main forums lately, that's because with all the graphics and peoples logos it takes far too long to load for me, so I stay away from pages with heavy use of graphics. Which is a shame because I enjoy reading some of the forums I'm a member of :(

Have I mentioned Tel$tra can all fry in the pits of hell?

Mind Socket

Mobile Java/WAP

Post by Mind Socket » 04 April 03 3:21 pm

Another idea for the Georges and others ... and this one might be rather groundbreaking for some ...

gc.com has a WAP interface, and it's bloody awful. Since you guys have the database backend already (I'm assuming with all the page text etc), it should be a not-too-impossible task to develop a WAP and/or Java interface for the new generation of phones available now (KitPie got a new phone last night that can do both and it looks very schmick). So, there'd be less need to carry around a bunch of printouts and at a pinch, someone on the road can use their WAP or Java phone to look up the cache page/hints/coords etc (maybe even maps).

I'm currently researching these technologies and will start working on this in my spare time. 'twould be good if I could do that with the idea of using gc.com.au's database and possibly hosting in mind? On that note, perhaps a secure database connection could take what could become a serious admin load off if this goes ahead seriously?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this idea, especially that of the db owners 8)

Ooh, and there's also SMS as an idea too :)

- Rog (clearly a bit project happy at the moment)

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 04 April 03 7:19 pm

Love this new forum. Looking forward to the migration of activity from the various others. :D

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 April 03 8:33 pm

thanks maccamob
awesome idea mind socket - we're happy to help as described

embi

Re: Mobile Java/WAP

Post by embi » 05 April 03 2:00 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Ooh, and there's also SMS as an idea too
Now we are talking....SMS your GC waypoint and get a SMS back with description! :D

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 05 April 03 7:30 pm

On a couple of phpBB2 forums I run, I have installed the Shoutbox plugin. This allows logged-in users to chat to each other.
On the other sites, they don't seem to use it much, but maybe people here would like to chat in real time?

Also, the Birthday mod seems rather popular. I installed a lot of birthday animated gifs for 'emoticons' and they get used quite a lot, too.

If you ever need a big influx of emoticons, let me know ;)

ideology

Post by ideology » 05 April 03 8:44 pm

thanks red dwarf, we'll check them out!