New Cache Type - Soliciting/ Commercial Cache [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Cached
2500 or more caches found

New Cache Type - Soliciting/ Commercial Cache [closed]

Post by Cached » 15 February 05 4:45 pm

This is a bit of a radical idea and will either be embraced or shot down in flames.

After the recent furore of the Tsunami cache, what if there was a specific cache type to accommodate this?

A soliciting/commercial cache would:

* Openly make it clear that there may be $$ involved in attempting this cache, whether it be through visiting a business, entry fees to a commercial establishment or charity donations. I am not suggesting "make a purchase, get a smiley". The visit to the business would likely be as a waypoint to a physical cache elsewhere.

* Allow businesses to 'sponsor' a cache with goodies etc, as it would be clear it was a commercial cache.

The commercial nature or solicitation details would have to be clearly spelled out in the cache descriptions so people knew the degree of commitment or otherwise they were expected to make to claim a find.

The solicitation could be in the form of volunteer time on a project that would benefit geocaching environments.

Some of these caches would still be 'find a box do a trade' others virtual. Depending on the cache setters purpose of finding the cache.

I would envisage the icon for such a cache would be a $ (dollar sign).

Obviously, those who don't want to participate don't have to.

Thoughts all?

Cached

Post by Cached » 15 February 05 5:11 pm

My poll wouldn't play so it's gone now.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 15 February 05 5:15 pm

It was working for me, I gave it a needs to be talked about some more.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 15 February 05 5:27 pm

I'm not really into this. Alot of us cachers have spent alot of money already on petrol to get to caches and for our equipment and swaps. I personally think that caches should stick away from the money type of thing. As it has caused many problems previously. We dont want a cache from every type of organisation asking for donations. . I just have a bad feeling that caches like that will one day take over the old traditional system. If I wanted to donate I will do so, but out of the geocaching scene. . The part about entry fees can be applied though, as there are some great places to visit that require an entrance fee. "like the otway fly" in Western victoria. . I think that maybe gc.com and gca.com can promote good charities to donate to, and or some great volunteer programs but not have a cache that says.. "you have to volunteer or pay charity" or find and log the cache. This way the game will remain absolutely free for everybody, especially for people like me who would like to get to every local cache but if these caches were around I would be let down because I would have no money to do them. . Though I dont agree with it, I wont discourage it, so if you want to do it do so. But I certianly wont be doing very many of those types of caches.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 15 February 05 5:37 pm

I don't like the idea.

Currently I (and everone else) logs a find for going out somewhere and finding something. This sort of thing is something totally different, for which there may be a site for, but it has nothing to do with the current activity of geocaching.

xf king said "Though I dont agree with it, I wont discourage it, so if you want to do it do so.", I'd disagree with this, i.e. I will discourage it because as these other things are brought into the game they dilute the value of the core activity of finding caches.

If we're going to allow these sorts of things, why not allow finds based upon insert just about anything you could think about, eg: log a find everytime you fill up with petrol at a BP service station, log a find everytime you do a good deed for someone, log a find every day you go without contracting hepatitis B... none of this has anything to do with the game of geocaching and it takes away meaning from peoples find count, log files, etc.

If you want something like this then perhaps it should be a different site that has nothing to do with geocaching where you reward/recognise people for good (or other) deeds done.

As for your component of letting businesses sponsor a cache and put 'goodies' in.... I like that idea and don't see that dilutes the game at all.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 February 05 5:56 pm

Doesnt do it for me either...

The Tsunami cache was for a different cause.. victims.. not points.

If you created caches as you describe, it will become a free for all and caches like the Tsunami cache wont have a meaning amongst the sheep so to speak. :?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 15 February 05 6:07 pm

Can't see much in this idea. As the pig said, the Tsunami cache was to help the victims, not enhance the bottom line of a company.<p>

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 15 February 05 6:26 pm

I'm a big fan of letting people do whatever they please. as long as it doesn't impact on others. But, there are some other thoughts swimming around my head on this one that suggest it does impact on others, even if they try to ignore it.

- IMHO, there is no apparent need for it. I can't see any benefit of a commercial cache over a regular one. The tsunami appeal was a special one-off, and should probably not be considered a precedent for a free-for-all.

- IMHO, and with the point above in mind, advertising is evil and pollutes people's mindspace. I've seen Groundspeak's sponsored --insert 4x4 brand here-- TBs and I've come to dislike everything they stand for. It's like a popup window in an ammo box. :p

- What happens when non-geocachers get wind of this new advertising channel? A McDonalds cache on every corner.

- IMHO, this broadly defined category of proposed caches seems to go against the spirit of geocaching in so many ways, especially when there are people providing listing services for free. This is probably the ultimate sticking point.

One possible avenue that might be explored is working with land owners of interesting locations for a cache on their pay-for-entry land. For example, a cache at the zoo.

There are currently no explicit guidelines to prevent such a cache existing on GCA, so one could put the cat amongst the pigeons right now. I don't know if you'd get far though.

Cheers,
- Rog

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 15 February 05 6:36 pm

There are currently no explicit guidelines to prevent such a cache existing on GCA, so one could put the cat amongst the pigeons right now
<p>
It does say <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... x">here</a> that caches shouldn't be placed somewhere where you've got to pay for entry.
<p>
Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit
<p>
Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

<p>

But there are plenty of caches around that break this rule and I don't have a problem with that provided they are not done for the sole purpose of getting people to go to that facility and fork out money.

EDIT: Only noticed after the post that you said GCA... sorry.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 15 February 05 6:43 pm

The Garner Family wrote:
There are currently no explicit guidelines to prevent such a cache existing on GCA, so one could put the cat amongst the pigeons right now
<p>
It does say <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... x">here</a> that caches shouldn't be placed somewhere where you've got to pay for entry.
<p>
Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit
<p>
Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

<p>

But there are plenty of caches around that break this rule and I don't have a problem with that provided they are not done for the sole purpose of getting people to go to that facility and fork out money.
Thats correct, that is for the US based geocaching game, Mindsocket however was refering to the Local Geocache listing site,the "geocaching .com.au" site (GCA for short), it doesn't have any guidelines in place appart from common sense.

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 15 February 05 10:19 pm

I say "no" to sponsorship of caches!

Once you allow business to get invloved their spin doctors start to influence the shape of the whole sport, then the bean counters in suits arrive, before you know it there TV rights and major changes to the sport so it's TV friendly and the supporters get squeezed out because they want the majority of the fans sitting at home in front of the TV watching the adverts!

If you want to see what happens to sports when they head over to the "dark side" of sponsorship watch any of the comercial TV stations on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Whew, now I feel better :shock:

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Nope

Post by TeamAstro » 15 February 05 10:42 pm

Nope! - no no no for TeamAstro.

clear skies, Astro.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 15 February 05 10:48 pm

A definite No vote from Crew 153.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 15 February 05 11:00 pm

Lt. Sniper votes NO!

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 16 February 05 12:37 am

The Garner Family wrote:If we're going to allow these sorts of things, why not allow finds based upon insert just about anything you could think about, eg: log a find everytime you fill up with petrol at a BP service station, log a find everytime you do a good deed for someone, log a find every day you go without contracting hepatitis B... none of this has anything to do with the game of geocaching and it takes away meaning from peoples find count, log files, etc.
<p>
That's already done - they are called locationless caches :roll: