Should GCA list ONLY it's own caches?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site

How should GCA list caches?

It should only list GCA caches and not bother with GC.com caches at all.
6%
It should list only CGA caches by default, and have CG.com caches as an experienced option etc
18%
I like it the way it is, showing both by default, but have them differentiated.
76%

Total votes: 33

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Should GCA list ONLY it's own caches?

Post by EcoTeam » 18 April 05 2:40 pm

OK, I've been thinking :shock:

This is one of my random thoughts and I haven't thought it through, so please go easy on me :lol:

Would it be better if CGA listed ONLY it's own caches by default, completely hiding any and all GC caches?

I think this might make it MUCH easier to use and less confusing not only for beginners, but also for those more experienced.

Although I'm sure no one would want to loose all the stats and other good stuff that CGA currently offer GC.com users, so this would have to stay, but say hidden under a different interface for experienced users or some such?

Comments invited.

EcoDave :)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 18 April 05 2:42 pm

I have asked for this to occur in various ways already.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 18 April 05 3:08 pm

Sorry, there was suppoed to be a 4th option in the Poll but I goofed it:
Option 4: I want both listed by default (without logging in), but I want them differentiated more, I find the current system a bit confusing.
EcoDave :)

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 18 April 05 3:54 pm

I voted option 1 - Only GCA caches.

In reality i don't care because I don't visit the site for anything more than curiosity maybe once per month.

I think its sad that there is a division in the sport/hobby, and recognise that the GCA site caters for those that have broken away from the "mainstream", but unfortunately the GCA site has nothing enticing to offer that I want or need for me to further my sport/hobby at the moment.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 18 April 05 4:09 pm

#3, stats stats stats, this site is great for the stats and the local area info, maps, suburb names etc.

Keep up the great work!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 18 April 05 4:14 pm

I think a good poll would be one titled "should EcoTeam be allowed to make polls"
:D <br />
I find the current system very easy to use. If I want to see the caches listed here I select the 'Caches' tab, if I want to see the lot I select 'All Caches' <br />

If only gca caches were listed, we would lose the 'recommended' and 'planning' list.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 19 April 05 2:35 pm

We appreciate the forum side rather than the caches information - for the time being at least, until we return home!! I think the current setup works well - it provides a lot of the stats the old insidecorner site used to provide, and can show a 'complete' listing of caches found between GCA and GC. There was certainly an acceleration in the 'friendly competition' once the monthly stats were put up on the site!!
<p>
Might just need a bit of clarification somewhere on the main page (?) for newbies who aren't aware of the differences between the two sites, and therefore reduce the "how do I log this here" notes.
<p>
Keep up the good work, everyone!!