Where the hell do you go to set up your caching name[closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Where the hell do you go to set up your caching name[closed]

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 18 January 05 9:57 pm

I'm really getting frustrated with this site. I've spent 15 minutes looking for somewhere on the profile pages to set up my caching name. My profile page simply says that it's not set up, and says to look at the FAQ and the Farqing FAQ simply says that it may be different or the same as your Groundspeak name. The only reason I'm bothering is that it's clear that the community is going to split and I simply want to just keep playing the game but if this site is so difficult to set up and the tedious procedure to import logs, I fear it's only going to drive participants away.

Glen Gitsham

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 18 January 05 10:09 pm

I couldn't change mine - Ideology had to do it. Some type of security feature I think to stop people hijacking others usernames.

ideology

Post by ideology » 18 January 05 10:38 pm

big red expeditions, we've set up your caching name for you. if you have any suggestions for the faq, we'd be happy to incorporate them.

geof, yes, it is a security issue because it allows people to edit logs and stuff on this system. we're trying to figure out a better way of doing it. one idea might be to ask people to send an email from their groundspeak account or something - that would prove that the person is that user. aah! so much to do!

Geof

Post by Geof » 18 January 05 10:50 pm

groundspeak - who? :twisted:

time I went to bed

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 19 January 05 11:12 am

Yeah i was starting to wonder about how to set up my caching name as well.

I went all the way through the FAQ, and still couldnt get it to work.

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 19 January 05 7:38 pm

Thanks, Ideology, and sorry about my little outburst. I was getting a little frustrated and concerned. I've had trouble with the procedure to find out your GC user number but thankfully Lt. Sniper helped me with that one and then I had to go through the import log procedures which thankfully went without a hitch, but they are quite convoluted. And now this procedure. As you can probably tell, I'm not much of a programmer's ass and I suspect that 99% of the caching community would be the same. GC.com might have their problems, but the site is dead easy to use and set up. As for making the FAQ clearer, all it would have to say is that this is something cannot be done by a user, and a messge to you is required to make it happen.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 19 January 05 7:59 pm

I agree, it would be good to have something in the faq such as:

Changing Usernames
To change your Geocaching Australia username, update it in your forum profile.
To change your caching username:
* Update it on the Groundspeak site
* Wait a day or two so the changes ripple through the feeds
* Post your request to change your name with the subject "Change caching name from (name) to (name)."
* We'll then change the ownership of your caches and logs to your new username.

Oh... it does :-)

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 19 January 05 9:53 pm

Hang on, the confusion in the FAQ is in part due to the fact that this is for an INITIAL NAME SETUP not a name change.

The FAQs need to be changed to include a section that describes how to set up on the GCA site initially.

ideology

Post by ideology » 30 January 05 2:39 pm

we've been a bit slack on the faq, but we find it hard to write it from a users perspective. if anyone would like to draft some text, we're happy to include it! thanks