listing caches on gc.com [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
bmac
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

listing caches on gc.com [closed]

Post by bmac » 14 January 05 10:47 pm

I was just thinking it would be nice to still have the cache details displayed on both sites, for those using it here. Perhaps those listed in this way could have a note explaining that they should be logged at gc.com. Or would the gc.com defectors be against this on principle, and hence would only search for caches listed exclusively on gca.com - since they would have to visit gc.com.

My concern is, for those wishing to get maximum exposure to their cache, they would want it available to players on both gc.com and gc.com.au. So which is more important - having as many people as possible able to see your cache, or a complete set of logs in one place?

bmac.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 January 05 10:14 am

bmac wrote:... for those wishing to get maximum exposure to their cache, they would want it available to players on both gc.com and gc.com.au. So which is more important - having as many people as possible able to see your cache, or a complete set of logs in one place?
Correct, for those wanting maximum exposure, listing on gc.com is the way to go (shows up at both sites). Having a complete set of logs in one place is a non-issue, the cache should only be logged at the primary listing site.

The question of what is more important is more likely to be exposure vs what is allowed on gc.com and whether the hider agrees with the principles of gc.com.

The point that people still seem to be struggling with, is that gca-only caches are listed only in au for a reason, either by the hider's choosing or due to forced restrictions elsewhere.

- R

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 17 January 05 1:01 pm

Mind Socket wrote:
bmac wrote:... for those wishing to get maximum exposure to their cache, they would want it available to players on both gc.com and gc.com.au. So which is more important - having as many people as possible able to see your cache, or a complete set of logs in one place?
Correct, for those wanting maximum exposure, listing on gc.com is the way to go (shows up at both sites).
How do I look up caches (GC or GA) that exist in a particular place?

AFAIK my caches only appear in my listing, how do others get to see them?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 January 05 2:36 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 17 January 05 3:17 pm

Mind Socket wrote:I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.
Hmmm, let me put it another way.

Ian and Penny wrote:How do I look up caches (GC or GA) that exist in a particular place?
How about this, I am going to go to (let's say) Geelong for a visit. How do I use GC.COM.AU to look up all the caches there? Thats all the ones listed on the US site as well as the Aus site.

Ian and Penny wrote:AFAIK my caches only appear in my listing, how do others get to see them?
(AFIK = As far as I know.)

How does somebody using GC.COM.AU know or find out that I have a cache in Riddell, Victoria?

Hope my ramblings are now clearer.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 January 05 3:32 pm

Gotcha, you're not rambling. :) We're collectively building a bigger set of jargon to go with all this new stuff, so the word "listing" now means lots of things, for example.
How do I use GC.COM.AU to look up all the caches there?
There are search facilities in place, but they possibly don't have the same approaches as gc.com. I just typed Geelong into the gca search box (top right corner), and it gave me a starting point.
How does somebody using GC.COM.AU know or find out that I have a cache in Riddell, Victoria?
Type "riddell" in the search box on gca (pebbles and gravel right?), or set themselves up to get the cache notifications for victoria, or ... I guess the question is how does someone do the same thing using gc.com that gca can't do (yet)?

If it is a lack of searching flexibility on gca that you are wondering about, then I'm sure ideology would be happy to hear your suggestions. I personally think searching by coords or postcode would be a good addition.

- R

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 3:58 pm

GSAK :D

Apart from that the search is a little restrictive. Geelong only turns up Geelong and nothing in the surrounding area.

Over time I'm sure i! will be adding search functionality, but at the moment they are under a lot of pressure to get the cache listings actually up before they look into the search criteria.

You can always use your hitlist to see what's close to you, but that doesn't work if you're looking for a destination further away that your hitlist. Your hitlist also shows reverse (locationless) caches which is a tad annoying.

I agree that postcode and co-ordinates would be handy and to go with that a postcode lookup based on the suburb entered. I wouldn't have the foggiest clue what the postcode for Geelong was, but if I could look it up, that would be handy.

Another search by 'closest' from a particular cache would also be handy. ie. Hitlist based on a cache rather than home co-ords.
eg. Go to a cache and then press a link to find the closest 50. Of course that would require additional information such as direction and distance.

Lots to think about for poor i!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 17 January 05 6:13 pm

I'm sure the coding skills back at GCA HQ are accelerating very quickly at the moment :) As for listing them in one place or the other, my take is that I will hopefully finding caches down the track that are overseas and therefore listed on GC only. I don't know then if it is fair to only list mine on GCA and deprive overseas cachers of finding mine, unless they know about GCA.

Possibly this comes down to the publicity thing - maybe every physical log we should write the .au address in so hopefully visitors to our shores know where to look.