FAQ - logging secondary-listed caches on gca

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Geof
450 or more roots tripped over

FAQ - logging secondary-listed caches on gca

Post by Geof » 14 January 05 7:30 am

You can already log find on gca, even for caches hosted by gc, can't you?
If the answer is yes, I ask will the owner get emailed via the GCA site even if they are only registered in the .com site? I suspect not.
Edit--------------------------------
Cut from someware else (not by me) previous post by bmac :?
Last edited by Geof on 15 January 05 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ideology

Post by ideology » 14 January 05 9:41 am

you _can_ log a find on this site for a secondary site cache. however, we only built that so people could synchronise their finds on the two sites. we think it's best that people log caches on the cache's home listing site: that way, there's one place on the internet where you can see a complete log listing.

geof, if someone is only registered on the secondary site, we have no way of emailing them, so they would not get an email

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 14 January 05 11:02 am

You have spoilt my fun with that "we think it's best that people log caches on the cache's home listing site: that way, there's one place on the internet where you can see a complete log listing"

my choice would be not to be go anywhere near the secondary site,

So now I ask of the rest of the community, If I was to log your Secondary site listed cache only on the GCA page, would you be offendedand tell me where to get off? Or would you allow it

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 14 January 05 11:10 am

Would I be offended: No.
Would I like it: No.
Would I tell you off: No.
Would you allow it: I couldn't do anything about it.

For those who aren't users of GCA, you logging it only on GCA would mean that you deprive the hider the joy of seeing that you found their cache. I think if they've gone to the trouble to hide it, it's not much to ask for you to log a find... and it makes sense to log the find on the site that they hosted the cache on.

ideology

Post by ideology » 14 January 05 11:12 am

fair point, if you don't want to log onto the secondary site, then it would probably be better for you to at least log it here rather than the log not existing at all

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 January 05 11:29 am

ideology wrote:fair point, if you don't want to log onto the secondary site, then it would probably be better for you to at least log it here rather than the log not existing at all
I respectfully disagree with this.

If you are using my data (remember I own the copyright on the cache description) and I have that cache residing on gc.com then I expect that the cache will be logged on gc.com

I put my caches on a site so they can be kept together and logged on that site. That may be gc.com or gc.com.au or terracaching.com or even on my own site.

If someone has such a problem with no using gc.com to the extent that they will not log a find on gc.com, then I believe they should not be using the gc.com data through an intermediary. Yes, I mean they should not be finding any cache where the original data has been supplied from gc.com if they do not want to visit that site at all.

I am all for supporting an Australian version of the game, but please respect the decision of the hider to keep their logs on the site that they placed the cache.

If the hider wants the find logged on gc.com.au then they should list on gc.com.au

Anything on gc.com or any other site should be logged where it is located.

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 14 January 05 11:58 am

If someone has such a problem with no using gc.com to the extent that they will not log a find on gc.com, then I believe they should not be using the gc.com data through an intermediary. Yes, I mean they should not be finding any cache where the original data has been supplied from gc.com if they do not want to visit that site at all.
Yep, that's what i meant to say (i'm just not quite as eloquent). I don't mind if a non-geocacher writes in my log book & then doesn't log it online, but I'd expect someone who uses the gc.com data to find it to have the courtesy of logging the find on gc.com.

Mix

Post by Mix » 14 January 05 12:16 pm

I donÂ’t give a toss were you log my caches so long as you do someplace so I know. If I hide it I should be able to expect to be included in the fun. If you are going to log an external cache just on GCA (and with current settings you cant be stopped) then maybe an email to the owner would be in order. Alternately you could log a find on GCA for yourself and a note on CG for the owner. One other possibility would be for you to log a find on GC so the email is sent then delete it.

ideology

Post by ideology » 14 January 05 12:56 pm

caughtatwork & the garner family,

good points. we agree that it's better for people to log caches on the site that the cache was listed on. our thinking was that if someone had an objection to logging a find on the secondary site and was not going to make a log at all, it would be better for there to be a log somewhere than nowhere. however, if you would prefer that there be no log anywhere else, we should respect that on geocaching australia

regarding viewing secondary site caches through this site, this site does not display cache descriptions for secondary site caches. so most people will have needed to go to the secondary site to find the cache.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 14 January 05 1:29 pm

The Garner Family wrote:Would I be offended: No.
Would I like it: No.
Would I tell you off: No.
Would you allow it: I couldn't do anything about it.

For those who aren't users of GCA, you logging it only on GCA would mean that you deprive the hider the joy of seeing that you found their cache. I think if they've gone to the trouble to hide it, it's not much to ask for you to log a find... and it makes sense to log the find on the site that they hosted the cache on.
<p>
I agree 100%. If you can't be bothered to do the right thing, please stay away from my gc.com caches :?. You can't have it both ways - the fun of finding gc.com caches but staying away from the site!
<p>
Andrew

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 14 January 05 2:34 pm

ideology wrote:you _can_ log a find on this site for a secondary site cache.
I think you should maybe change that so people can not log a gc.com cache on this site. It will just makes it messy and hard to follow. Also no matter how many times you tell people you will get someone doing it.

Dooghan

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 14 January 05 3:19 pm

I agree with Dooghan... That makes sense... sort of an unsubscribe option...

Similarly, having just logged my first cache on Navicache, I notice that they have the concept of Open / Closed caches. When you Hide a cache, you are asked:

Open Cache?
Would you like to give other caching sites permission to
use or list your cache information?
no
yes, non-commercial use only
yes, unrestricted

Maybe we want to consider that option too...

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 14 January 05 5:05 pm

Yep.. I like what dooghan says.
Open Cache?
no
yes, unrestricted
Yuch... sounds like they're implying that they somehow own the data.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 14 January 05 6:26 pm

The Garner Family wrote:
Open Cache?
no
yes, unrestricted
Yuch... sounds like they're implying that they somehow own the data.
I don't think so... I think they are trying to imply that you own your data and that you can decide how much use people can make of it...

I guess it was an attempt to stop geocaching.com crosslisting all the navicache caches???

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 14 January 05 6:42 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
ideology wrote:fair point, if you don't want to log onto the secondary site, then it would probably be better for you to at least log it here rather than the log not existing at all
I respectfully disagree with this.

If you are using my data (remember I own the copyright on the cache description) and I have that cache residing on gc.com then I expect that the cache will be logged on gc.com

I put my caches on a site so they can be kept together and logged on that site. That may be gc.com or gc.com.au or terracaching.com or even on my own site.

I am all for supporting an Australian version of the game, but please respect the decision of the hider to keep their logs on the site that they placed the cache.

If the hider wants the find logged on gc.com.au then they should list on gc.com.au

Anything on gc.com or any other site should be logged where it is located.
These comments echo my sentiments!!