Programmed cache release

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Programmed cache release

Post by riblit » 12 January 05 10:38 am

Something I thought of last night. As you know, on the secondary site we sometimes got requests to release a cache or series of caches being used in a game as a particular time. Rather than sit around all hours of the night to oblige someone who wants to release a bunch of caches at some ungodly hour, what do you think of asking our overworked programmer to add an option to release the cache or caches at a particular time. Just to clarify - I'm thinking of one or two set times like midnight, or maybe 6am. That way a cron job could run that checks the database for caches flagged to be released at that time could let them go.<p>

If some twit has a particular need to need to release a cache at 4:37am they can type the listing, mark it no review and press the submit button at 4:37am while we are sound asleep.<p>

Thoughts?

ideology

Post by ideology » 12 January 05 12:46 pm

we've just got "draft" caches going and they can probably help with this.

if a person doesn't want to list their cache immediately, they can enter it as a draft cache. this will put it in the system, but it won't show up in the cache listings. we've set up a test2 cache which is currently in draft

on the stoke of 4:37am, the cacher can press a button to list the cache themselves. no reviewer alarm-clock required!

if we end up with a movie review style of approving, the draft cache concept will help, too. a cacher can create their cache as a draft and request a review. after that, either the reviewer or the cacher could press a button to list the cache. we guess the default would be the reviewer pressing the button to list the cache unless the cacher has written something like "don't list the cache - i'll do it at a particular time" or something

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 12 January 05 1:02 pm

That looks good and it puts the responsibility of delayed listing with the person who wants it.