Archived caches on gc.com.au [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Archived caches on gc.com.au [closed]

Post by Horus » 09 January 05 11:08 pm

Just wondering why perminantly archived caches still show up in the cache listings on gc.com.au? Will they always show up in the listings or is it something you are working on to remove them?

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 09 January 05 11:22 pm

<font color="blue"><font face="verdana"><b>I'm not sure if it's the same reason as GC.com (a numbers game) but if the archived ones drop off the list so do your finds. There's also the issue of reading peoples logs of which I can say I've read my fair share of archived cache logs. There may also be other reasons ....

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 January 05 11:25 pm

generally:

we'd like them to keep showing up as a record of a cache that used to be there. the secondary site makes archived caches pretty much invisible, but it leads to problems when people are using software like gsak because the gpx files never contain any archived caches, therefore gsak doesn't know to delete them. also, we've been caching for however many years now, and we remember so many of the caches fondly, so we'd like to keep them as a kind of memorial to some fun times!

with respect to your caches:
we know you archived some recently and we thought you said that you wanted to transfer them to geocaching australia, so we did so. if we did the wrong thing, we're sorry and will flag them as archived groundspeak caches as opposed to active g.c.au caches

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 09 January 05 11:37 pm

ideology wrote:generally:
we'd like them to keep showing up as a record of a cache that used to be there.
Fair enough, was just curious what your plans were, I agree, they are part of the history of the game.
ideology wrote: with respect to your caches:
we know you archived some recently and we thought you said that you wanted to transfer them to geocaching australia, so we did so. if we did the wrong thing, we're sorry and will flag them as archived groundspeak caches as opposed to active g.c.au caches
No they are ok thanks, you did the right thing. They came up as archived so last night I tried to activate them, they archived themselves straight away, so I activated them again etc etc, I gave up after two and a bit goes - hence this mornings Tas cache notification was a little messy - sorry chaps that was my fault :oops:

ideology

Post by ideology » 09 January 05 11:43 pm

cool. sorry about the hassles with the archiving. we'll take a look to see why they kept bouncing back and forth!

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 10 January 05 7:15 am

Ah I forget mere mortals cant see archived caches.... :)

I will see if I can generate something to get all the archived caches for listing on gc.com.au if you like.