What's new on Geocaching Australia

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Re: Sub Menu

Post by Briggbottoms » 04 November 10 1:20 pm

reesylou wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Cached is looking into a plan to reorganise the menu structure (thank you).

To help her see what submenus might look like, under your MY tab, your Hotlists are now on a submenu.
There should be a white right arrow head indicating a new submenu on that item.
If you hover over Hotlists you should get a new submenu.
If that's not working for you, you may need a fresh css file, so hit the F5 key while holding down the CTRL key.

It probably doesn't work in IE6, but does in IE7, IE8 and FF3.
In FF3.6.6 I can get the sub menu, but do not see the arrow head, so have no indication there is a submenu.
I had to refresh the skinau.css (Ctrl-F5 should do it) to see the white arrow.
My concern is that this introduces a "more accurate mousing" requirement. Getting a menu to drop down from a tab currently is easy, the tab menus are 100 pixels wide or so, and it is easy enough to avoid the cursor slipping off and accidentally clicking on something else. With a horizontal movement required to get to a submenu, a slight mismovement frequently results in a random click on the page. Perhaps being able to select "Hotlists" in some way, to get the effect of pinning that sub-menu?

Cheers,
Briggbottoms
(trying not to get too :stabby )

caughtatwork

Re: What's new on Geocaching Australia

Post by caughtatwork » 04 November 10 1:31 pm

The submenus are triggered by the hover attribute, so you can't pin them open.
What about I extend the "top" of the list so you get a "larger" area to move right with your mouse?

Briggbottoms
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by Briggbottoms » 04 November 10 1:47 pm

caughtatwork wrote:The submenus are triggered by the hover attribute, so you can't pin them open.
What about I extend the "top" of the list so you get a "larger" area to move right with your mouse?
Currently, I mouse to "My" directly from wherever the cursor is sitting - intuitive and easy - then mouse vertically down directly to "Hotlists" - fair enough - then mouse to "Watchlist" and all the menus fold away and my blood pressure ratchets up one notch. I then do it all again, but have to remember to move horizontally from "Hotlists", through the white arrow to the top of the sub-menu, then start moving down through the sub-items to the one I want. Don't mouse directly to the item I want.

The problem appears when the mouse cursor doesn't pass through the region of the white arrow before leaving the bounding rectangle of "Hotlists". Fixing that seems to require the hovering submenu to stay up until something on it is chosen, or something elsewhere is chosen.

Just sayin',
Briggbottoms

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 November 10 2:57 pm

I understand your dilemma.
I do it all the time too :-(

As we use a CSS menu system, once you move away from the item you are hovered over, the hover trigger stops and the menu item no longer appears. As far as I have been able to determine, there is no pseudo class that persists a hover when you stop hovering over it.

We could redo the whole thing in javascript, but as I hate javascript with the fury of a thousands burning suns, that isn't going to happen. By hate I mean I will avoid writing and using wherever possible. It's also not consistent across browsers (kind of like CSS, but we at least got the CSS to work for most).

I'm not quite sure how to handle this, but I might start a new thread where the concept and challenge can be discussed.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =1&t=15240

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 November 10 12:59 am

I'm on a couple of other websites that exhibit the same behaviour, it's annoying. Especially on a netbook with only a touchpad to use as a mouse. But I understand the programming limitations of it as well.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 13 November 10 12:58 pm

c@w,

Is there any ETA on when cache owners will be able to delete log finds which don't adhere to the logging requirements?
Whilst I have a locationless cache, it does require a photo to be attached.
I also have one team logging a find three times on the same day at pretty much the same location, not sure if I should delete the "duplicates"?
If this option is still a way away, how can I get the logs which I don't consider fufill the logging requirements to log as a find deleted?
Last edited by Jardry on 13 November 10 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 November 10 12:59 pm

CraigRat has the log disabler, so hopefully he'll see this post.
In the meantime, please shoot me a PM of the logs you want removed and I'll be happy to do so.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 13 November 10 4:50 pm

I just noticed the "Beaten Me" list. It's all the caches that you DNFed and have never found and they are still active. Great idea - it allows "cleaning up" of DNFs. We're always determined to go back and 'fix' ours. Good to compare with the DNF list. There's one on my "Beaten Me" list which we found this week but it may have been missed in an import.

Luckily we didn't log any DNFs in Canada last year! (we also didn't HAVE any DNFs, not that we looked for that many caches).

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 November 10 5:22 pm

caughtatwork wrote:CraigRat has the log disabler, so hopefully he'll see this post.
In the meantime, please shoot me a PM of the logs you want removed and I'll be happy to do so.
It's 95% done.

I have some time free tonight, so I'll give it some priority.

To be honest, in light of some recent mass deletions I've been apprehensive about deploying it.

caughtatwork

GPX File Versions

Post by caughtatwork » 21 November 10 11:08 am

On 20-Nov-2010, Geocaching Australia introduced the ability to download a V1.0 GPX file or a V1.1 GPX file.

A poor explanation of the differences in the versions and why you may want to change is provide in the wiki link below. Sorry for the explanation, I found it very hard to describe exactly what's going on.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Gpx_version

Geocaching Australias V1.0 was an open format, different to Groundspeaks V1.0 format which is proprietary.
Garmin would not load Geocaching Australias 1.0 version but would load Groundspeaks V1.0 version.
Garmin now handle V1.1 GPX files so we have added the ability to generate V1.1 files for your use.
GSAK will handle both GCA's V1.0 and V1.1 files.
The V1.1 file is also available via the Open Caching Group which moves all of the alternative geocaching sites to a standard format which works with Garmin GPS receivers.
Some programs will still expect the V1.0 GCA format and will not handle the V1.1 GCA format. Trial and error is the only way to determine if your program will work.

We cannot investigate issues with other programs.

To set your GPX version number, go to http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings and select 1.1 against the GPX Version, save the changes and your files will be delivered in V1.1

All things being equal you should now be able to send these directly to your Garmin GPS without having to transform them through GSAK, but you can load V1.1 files directly into GSAK as well.

caughtatwork

Co-ordinates box on Google Map

Post by caughtatwork » 24 November 10 10:14 pm

Have you ever been using the GCA Google Map and wanted to know the co-ordinates for where your pointer was sitting?
Well, now you can.
http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/tas.gmap
Look to the bottom right, you will see a new box with the co-ordinates of where your mouse pointer is sitting on the map.
Click the box and it will cycle through three different co-ordinate formats.

Ahh, the things we do when we're bored :-)
Enjoy.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Re: Co-ordinates box on Google Map

Post by SamCarter » 25 November 10 6:20 am

caughtatwork wrote:Have you ever been using the GCA Google Map and wanted to know the co-ordinates for where your pointer was sitting?
Well, now you can.
Enjoy.
Excellent. I've often wanted to be able to do that. Please continue to be bored.

canary

Re: Co-ordinates box on Google Map

Post by canary » 25 November 10 10:25 am

caughtatwork wrote:Have you ever been using the GCA Google Map and wanted to know the co-ordinates for where your pointer was sitting?
Well, now you can.
Look to the bottom right, you will see a new box with the co-ordinates of where your mouse pointer is sitting on the map.

Enjoy.
As an Etrex cacher, with no maps, this will be great for marking turnoff on firetrails, parking spots, etc.

Well done.

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Co-ordinates Box on Google Map -- Thanks!

Post by pjmpjm » 25 November 10 10:52 pm

Well, now you can.

Enjoy.
Extremely useful! Many thanks for the tip.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 26 November 10 8:32 am

Wow! I noticed this yesterday as I was checking out likely spots to go this weekend. "Oh :D ", I thought. I wondered how long it had been there and I was silly enough to not notice. But now I see I wasn't silly at all, just really, really observant :wink:

Thanks C@W, this was a great idea and well executed too. It will be fabulous for all manner of purposes. In fact, it's a brilliant idea :idea: