What's new on Geocaching Australia

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 May 06 8:55 pm

Plots and Graphs.

You will now find a link to your finds and hides graphs and plots in the navigation bar to your right in the Stats section.

Over time the number of graphs will increase as we move functionality across from the caughtatwork website and integrate it into this site.

Enjoy.

ideology

Post by ideology » 13 June 06 11:00 pm

google maps back online

more info

ideology

Post by ideology » 02 July 06 1:42 pm

new google earth cacher feed

more details

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 November 06 8:28 am

gca 2.01 released

more details

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Jan 2008

Post by CraigRat » 20 January 08 9:20 am

January Update:

We are happy to announce the first major set of fixes and features for 2008

Some of the items we've played with are:
* Swaggies - Can now be marked as missing, and can also be archived
* Driving Directions - you can get directions from your home co-ords by clicking on the link on the cache's page
* Google Earth icons now look a lot better (no more yellow handbags :lol:)
* Logs - You can now view logs for your caches only, a nice way to get a handle on the what's happeing with your hides. Just click on Logs->Owned Caches
* Lots of bug fixes, including making the maps more friendly with IE7

We can now better push out updates and fixes, which will allow us to better respond to issues as they crop up.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 28 January 08 4:32 pm

Query Google Earth KML
The google earth (KML) files created by your queries now match the new icons on the 'live' google earth feed...

As a plus, it also colors these icons red if unfound, blue if owned and green if found by you.

example:
http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/kml/188

Enjoy

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 28 January 08 6:41 pm

CraigRat wrote:Query Google Earth KML
The google earth (KML) files created by your queries now match the new icons on the 'live' google earth feed...

As a plus, it also colors these icons red if unfound, blue if owned and green if found by you.

example:
http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/kml/188

Enjoy
hmmm, a bucket load of red icons. .

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 January 08 4:58 pm

Small enhancement in your stats page:
eg. http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statistics/caughtatwork

Highest Daily Score = SUM(Terrain*Difficulty): 71 (21 Oct 04)

This has been produced in response to this section of the wiki which was not completed (but is now).
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cach ... aily_Score

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 January 08 10:55 pm

That formula isn't that clear, I assume it means for every cache I did on that day multiply difficulty by terrain to get a score, then add them all together.

In which case my highest came on the day I found my highest ever number of caches, none of them particular hard (at least in terrain).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 January 08 9:13 am

richary wrote:That formula isn't that clear, I assume it means for every cache I did on that day multiply difficulty by terrain to get a score, then add them all together.

In which case my highest came on the day I found my highest ever number of caches, none of them particular hard (at least in terrain).
I didn't come up with the formula, but you are correct.
If I found a 3/3 and a 4/4 on the same day, my score would be 9 + 16 = 25.

I think this was originally proposed as an alternative to finding the highest number of caches on a day vs. finding a set of really hard caches. Even though the "count" was different, the "effort" to get them was the same or better.

For me, personally 71 represents a day I found 8 (I think), wehereas my best ever day in terms of finds was 20. From memory, the 71 day was a much better day in terms of walking, looking, checking out new areas and cunning caches rather than a simple run of 20 caches during daylight hours.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 January 08 2:44 pm

Google Map functionality for swaggies

Select a swaggie from the swaggies page and if the swaggie is in a cache, you will be able to see it on Google Maps from the link in the right hand side navigation bar. Swaggies that are not in caches will not have the link available.

If you want to see all swaggies, select the View As GoogleMaps from the top of the list of swaggies page. Swaggies that are in caches will be displayed. Please understand that on this page, to restrict the number of database hits, the number of swaggies returned is restricted to 3 degrees of separation from the default entry point. This is the same with caches. Move the map so your area of interest is around the middle of the map and the swaggies should be displayed.

You can click on the icon to see the cache that the swaggie is in. If you are just browing around randomly you can click on any icon and it will tell you the cache and which swaggie is in it.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 January 08 7:18 pm

Logging in and out is now more streamlined

In response to this query and request from Rabbitto:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... inue#87216
I am finally going to ask something I have wondered for ages. Deep breath. There is probably a really good reason for this but whenever I log into GCA, I come to the "Continue what you were doing" screen. Is it possible to just skip this screen and "Continue what i was doing"? The only other option on the screen (apart from the menu) is the large "Logout" button, and I would consider that probably 100% of the time, my reason for logging in was not to Logout straight away. Exhale.
When you hit the logout link, you will now be immediately logged out. One less button to push.

When you login successfully, you will now be automatically redirected to the page you were on when you hit the login link. If you weren't on any page, you will be redirected back to the home page. Again, one less thing to click.

I hope this streamlines your life and saves wear and tear on your mouse :-)

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 31 January 08 10:09 pm

Hey guys - namely C@W or Craigrat. Would either of you be available for an interview this weekend for Geotalk about what's new and improved on GCA.com.au?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 08 10:21 pm

I've prodded CraigRat (the one with experience) to get back to you.
If he doesn't then I will.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 February 08 10:46 am

GeoBirthdays

Displays the number of years it has been since a geocacher made their first log on a non-locationless / non-virtual geocache and that occurred on "todays" date in the past.

The log is any type of log, whether it be found, DNF, note, etc. The earliest log implies their earliest interaction with the world of geocaching.

All cachers are included, not just those who are currently active and will include anyone who has a log at GCA. This means that some names will only have log at GCA, presumably because a cache was imported from overseas and their name just happened to be in the logs that were imported at the same time. To minimise this I exclude locationless and virtual caches as they are the ones most likely to have a single overseas cacher log on them. If your first interaction with geocaching was on a virtual or locationless, then your geobirthday will be incorrect.

There are a handful of cachers who hid before they found so this process would not show their correct birthday.

You could, of course, go back to the first cache you hid (assuming it was before your first find), drop a note into it with the same date you want your birthday celebrated on, import it into GCA and bingo. An easy workaround and one that wouldn't affect your stats count.

BTW, don't put in anything earlier than 2000 as it won't be checked. 2000 is the official year of birth of geocaching, so those people who have log dates of 1994 and earlier will be a little disappointed.

http://geocaching.com.au/stats/geobirthday/
You can navigate to it from the Stats tab on the top navigation bar.

For the technical minded (and for people who want to play around with their birthdays), the page is generated from the database for the first time it is executed on any given day. For the rest of the day it is generated from a stored file. This means that the data is not dynamically generated, so if you change your birthday to today and refresh the page, you will not appear on it. This has been done for performance reasons.

Enjoy.