What's new on Geocaching Australia

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 March 08 10:11 pm

New Statistics

Hey, it's fun and interesting (well, for me anyway).

Check out your cacher page then under the General Statistics:

You will find a "verbosity" statistic which counts the average number of words you use in a log, the longest log and the shortest log.
This is for all log types, including notes, so you'll probably find that your shortest log is one or two words relating to a bug drop. Are you surprised by how verbose you are?

On the same page, you'll also now see your most Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western cache attempted. i.e. Found or DNF, but not noted. Boy some Aussies do indeed get around with finds in Alaska :shock:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 18 March 08 11:00 pm

Cool! Nice addition. Thanks!
Although my shortest log of one word seems to be a find imported from a locationless sans log text!?

October 3 2004 http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc5285
Quite a few finders were speechless about this cache by the looks.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 March 08 9:26 am

Damo. wrote:Cool! Nice addition. Thanks!
Although my shortest log of one word seems to be a find imported from a locationless sans log text!?

October 3 2004 http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc5285
Quite a few finders were speechless about this cache by the looks.
Fixed.
Please refer all errors on data (faerie food) to this thread:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... highlight=

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 March 08 10:29 pm

Centroids

If you go to your cacher, statistics, general page, you can see your caching and hiding centroids. These have been there for a while. You can get to your own stats by selecting Cacher Page from the My tab, then in the subtabs selecting General under Statstics.

eg. http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... rk/general

To make things a little more interesting you can now also go to your centroids page to see the same centroid with an inline iframe Google Map. This enables you to see where your centroids are without having to click on the centroid name on the general stats page. This same page also shows your centroids on Google Maps for your most Northerly, Southerly, Easterly and Westerly caches.

http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... /centroids

Trivia:
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/statist ... /centroids
dak has hidden 47 caches around the place, but his centroid for hiding, is somewhere about 500m from where I live :shock:
Last edited by caughtatwork on 28 March 08 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 March 08 1:11 pm

Google Maps on Geocaching Australia cache pages

Each Geocaching Australia cache page (with the exception of Locationless) will now sport a reasonable sized Google Earth map in the cache details section. This helps you see exactly where the cache is in relation to your area of interest.

The map is fully zoomable and scrollable, but will only show the cache of interest.

Should you print the page, the map will be printed at the last zoom / scrolled position.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 March 08 1:15 pm

Nano Caches

Geocaching Australia now offers the opportunity to list your extra very small cache hides as a Nano hide.

When listing your cache, you can now use the term Nano in the Container section to indicate it's smaller than the average micro. All functionality on this site caters for the new Nano category including your My Queries and GPX file generation.

GPX files will import into GSAK with the Container being Nano.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 06 April 08 3:15 am

I noticed the Verbosity stat is now reporting accurately! Did you manage to filter bug drop notes, or is it just Find/DNF logs now?
And the hitlist is now sorted by distance again, instead of by age! :D
And a bold box around my own logs ;)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 06 April 08 1:09 pm

c@w's been a very busy boy, he's done LOTS of changes, both visible and unseen, all on his own (I've been absent due to work/life commitments)

I'd like to say a big thanks and well done to caught@work and that his work is appreciated!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 April 08 3:50 pm

zactyl wrote:I noticed the Verbosity stat is now reporting accurately! Did you manage to filter bug drop notes, or is it just Find/DNF logs now?
And the hitlist is now sorted by distance again, instead of by age! :D
And a bold box around my own logs ;)
Verbosity. Just find and DNF's. Much more reliable as an indicator.
Hotlist. Yeah, whoops :oops:
Bold box on your own logs was something for me as I was forever ctrl-f'ing, now I just scroll for visual impact. Less keystrokes, more mouse.

Happy that you're happy.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 April 08 3:51 pm

Pesky! wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Nano Caches

Geocaching Australia now offers the opportunity to list your extra very small cache hides as a Nano hide.

GPX files will import into GSAK with the Container being Nano.
Now, You're only going to encorage them! aaargh! :) 8) :P
There aren't many GCA players in Victoria, so I hope it impacts your state a little more :twisted:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 April 08 3:51 pm

CraigRat wrote:c@w's been a very busy boy, he's done LOTS of changes, both visible and unseen, all on his own (I've been absent due to work/life commitments)

I'd like to say a big thanks and well done to caught@work and that his work is appreciated!
I have no life :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 April 08 12:36 am

New log type Admin Review.

You may see a new log icon like this:

Up until recently the site administration of Needs Archiving logs at GCA has been somewhat sporadic. There is a new administration function (that only the admins can see) whereby we can now take a positive action on any Needs Archiving logs that come through the system.

We will review the cache listing, the recent activity of the owner, the logs and other ancilliary information into account and either:
a. Archive the listing with another Needs Archiving log with explanation
==OR==
b. Issue an Admin Review log type indicating that we have reviewed the Needs Archiving log and that to our eyes, the cache is probably still there.

We will seek your forgiveness if we occassionally get a little overzealous with keeping the database free of obvious dead cache listings. If you do end up with one of your caches being archived and you can confirm it's still there, please log a maintained log and edit the cache listing, setting it back to available.

We are still yet to finally deploy the "automated" cache archiving function (as previoulsy advised) whereby 4 DNF's in a row start a process of issuing a note, then 30 days later making the cache temporarily unavailable, then if there is still no maintained action after another 30 days, final archiving.

This new process will work in tandem with the automated process and should enable the situation where a cache needs to be achived quicker than 60 days to be undertaken.

We hope that by keeping the database relatively clean, you don't waste time, effort and petrol in seeking caches that aren't there any more.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 18 April 08 8:31 am

caughtatwork wrote:Caches by Hidden Date Range

From the caches navigation tab, you can now see the hidden date ranges for all caches in Australia and New Zealand broken down by state.

Direct link:
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/range/

Why?
Say you want to be able to get a download of all of the caches in a particular state, but you aren't sure how to go about setting up your date ranges to ensure you don't overlap and make the best use of your downloads.

Rather than trial and error, this list will show you the number of caches in each date range, limited to 500 caches per range. Very handy when you want the ranges for the very first time or to update your ranges after you have been downloading for a while.

The list is generated once daily for speed of access.
c@w

I'm just curious as to why over a relatively short period for SA caches the commencement date for the most recent caches went from Mid November 2007 to Late August 2007, which obviously affected all preeceeding date ranges.

Do the numbers only collate active caches or active plus disabled (but not archived), or what is the criteria.

Not being all that tech savvy is it possible to somehow include in the daily email notification that this page has been updated and possibly which states have been updated?

Jardry

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 April 08 11:31 am

Without looking in detail, I'd suspect that there has been a tidy up of "temporarily unavailable" caches which have now been marked as archived.

The dates include active and temporarily unavailable caches, but not archived.

I'd also hazard a guess that almost every day it will change as caches get archived on a pretty regular basis. Putting it out on the daily email would be a little excessive (I think).